New Political Party Ready To Launch

sriracha john

Core figures of Mahachon join Chart Thai

Today (October, 29th), Leader of Mahachon Party, Sanan Kachornprasart (สนั่น ขจรประศาสน์), and 15 other members of the party, including deputy leader Akapol Sorasuchart (อรรคพล สรสุชาติ), secretary-general Siriwat Kachornprasart (ศิริวัฒน์ ขจรประศาสน์), traveled to Chart Thai Party’s headquarters to apply to be members of the party. The group was welcomed by Chart Thai Leader Banharn Silpa-archa (บรรหาร ศิลปอาชา).

Mr Banharn also gave membership cards and blazers to the new 15 members.

Mr Sanan said that he had worked with Mr banharn for more than 30 years and the two of them never had any conflicts. He added that Mr Banharn is trustworthy and he respected the Chart Thai leader more than other people in politics.

The former Mahachon leader said further that the 2007 Constitution is another reason for his decision to join Chart Thai, adding that the new charter does not facilitate small political parties.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 October 2007

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mahachon Party merges with Chart Thai Party

The general atmosphere at the Chart Thai Party's head office this morning (October 29th) was exuberant this morning, after the Mahachon Party leader, Maj. Gen. Sanan Kajornprasart (สนั่น ขจรประศาสคร์), led a group of 15 of his party members join the Chart Thai Party.

The Chart Thai Party leader and former Prime Minister, Mr. Banharn Silpa-archa (บรรหาร ศิลปอาชา) welcomed the Mahachon members, and one of them included the Maj. Gen. Sanan’s son, Mr. Siriwat Khajornprasat (ศิริวัฒน์ ขจรประศาสตร์). The Mahachon members submitted their applications to the Chart Thai Party. Maj. Gen. Sanan says the demanding conditions of the new Constitution have encouraged his party to amalgamate with the Chart Thai Party.

Speaking at a joint press conference, Mr. Banharn expressed vivaciously that both parties worked together well in the past, and they would continue to cooperate closely.

Maj. Gen. Sanan says the 30-year peaceful relationship with Mr. Banharn would help promote their political works. Regarding his political role in the Chart Thai Party, Maj-Gen Sanan says he would happily accept any position in the party and he is ready to contend in the upcoming general election.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 October 2007

PPP to push for Samak as premier

Party's own poll shows it could win 250 seats outside South

People Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej must be made prime minister if the party gains the most seats, spokesman Kuthep Saikrachang said yesterday. A poll sponsored by the party had suggested it would win 250 MP seats outside of the South.

"I assure you if People Power Party gets more votes and more seats than the others, we will be more eligible to form a government than any other party," Kuthep said. "We won't let a minority party form a government like in the past when the Social Action Party got 18 MP seats and its leader MR Kukrit Pramoj became prime minister," he said. The party will definitely not let another party's leader take the post, he said.

Secretary-general Surapong Suebwonglee told the party's candidates at yesterday's seminar that a poll by the party had showed it would win 55 seats in the North, 100 seats in the Northeast, 40 in the Central plains and 15 in Bangkok. It would also get 40 party-list seats, Kuthep said.

Samak warned the party's 339 candidates to be careful not to break the law while campaigning, the spokesman said.

The candidates included 64 from the North, 131 from the Northeast, 65 from the Central, 46 from the South and 33 from Bangkok. There are only four constituencies for which the party has yet to name candidates.

Samak also told the meeting not to be worried about former Thai Rak Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra being an adviser, as long as it did not violate the law and the Election Commission (EC) approves of it. The party could seek advice from Thaksin anyway, even if the EC did not approve, he said. :o

The party can launch campaigns but without using Thaksin's photographs, Kuthep said.

However, it would wait for the EC's regulations before revising its media campaign.

The party yesterday also announced 12 policies for its campaign platform, most of them borrowed from ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's Thai Rak Thai party.

Deputy secretary-general Noppadon Pattama said the party would utilise and adapt the populist policies of the Thaksin government as well as improve on policies of the current administration.

Among the policies the party promises to implement if it wins the election are: no tax increases; a debt moratorium for farmers; further development of the Village Fund; allocation of the Small Medium Large fund (Bt300,000, Bt500,000, Bt700,000), implement the second stage of the One Tambon One Product project; set up a People Bank; increase capital for small- and medium-sized enterprises; distribute one million cattle to 100,000 farms; price guarantees for agricultural produce; allow people who find employment overseas to pay the job placement fee after starting work; and proceed with CEO-style provincial governors.

The party also promised to improve the Bt30-per-hospital-visit scheme by allowing people to use ID cards for any treatment, including emergency healthcare. Workers with social security will enjoy coverage for their families as well.

Students will be given educational loans that they can pay back after they get jobs, a project which would be funded by the two- and three-digit lottery. The party pledged to help teachers reduce their debts and give village heads the same healthcare coverage enjoyed by bureaucrats.

The party also promised to build proper roads connecting every village and to replace the dirt roads within four years. It also plans to establish centres to help vocational students start businesses and a new Thailand Knowledge Park project to develop online libraries.

The party also announced the line-up of its 35 women candidates, saying it would field the most number of women candidates among the political parties contesting the election.

The women candidates include former MPs and MP candidates such as Karuna Chidchob, Puwanida Khunpalin and Supamas Isarapakdi. Among the new women candidates are Leelawadee Watcharobol, Chinnicha Wongsawat, Parichart Chaleekrau and Pattana Sangkhasap.

- The Nation

================================================

Apparently they're still working out the numbers for precisely how many targets they will snuff out in the next so-called drug war, whether to set the target at 10,000,000 Elite Cards this time around, and how to distribute those 1,000,000 cows this time as only a few thousand were done the last time they were going to distribute a 1,000,000 cows.

Edited by sriracha john

pracha_prom.jpg

Police General Pracha Promnok

Pracha gets No 1 spot on Motherland Party list

The For the Motherland Party yesterday introduced General Pracha Promnok as party chairman to contest the election as the number-one party-list MP candidate in the Northeast.

Party leader Suwit Khunkitti said Pracha was a prominent policeman who has always been praised for his honesty. During his term as national police chief from 1996 to 2000, he made great achievements and his experience as labour minister and deputy health minister makes him highly valuable.

Pracha said he felt proud having been invited to join the political arena - even though he had quit politics for many years. He wanted to return to politics because he felt the country had reached a dead end and the party would give the country new hope.

"The party has announced a firm stance to be neutral and refusing to side with either political camp,'' he said.

Suwit said Pracha would contest the region covering Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Loei, Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan.

Pracha said his son-in-law had also joined the party.

- The Nation

I have a question about these "secret documents." As far as I have read, they seem to only contain a plan to discredit the PPP via things said and written. To me, maintaining martial law is materially damaging to the election process and the Democrats among others have openly stated that this should not be acceptable for the coming national election. However, a plan to discredit the PPP through non violent means does not (to me) seem to be such a big deal. If it is and the average Thai voter will vote against the PPP only because the current government says that they are bad people, what does this say about the average Thai voter? Didn't many Thai's vote against the constitutional referendum despite being told by the current government that they should vote for it?

I see no problem with the current government trying to discredit the PPP via non violent means. I do see a problem with keeping martial law in place.

Any thoughts?

As I said before, I kind of agree that this isn't in itself out of character- remember the amount of money spent to 'sway' the charter vote. Nor is it particularly 'bad'- where the problem lies, I think, is when someone who has taken on the role of leading a propaganda offensive against a specific party is then given the role of ensure fairness in the coming election.

It's a dirty dirty game- and will show once and for all just how phoney this coup's claim to want to advance the cause of democracy was.

You sound as if politics is clean where you come from. It isn't. Its a dirty, dirty game wherever you are from.

It is not me who makes it sound like politics is clean in the west- it is those whose cynicism about the dirty nature of Thai politics prompts them to give up entirely on the ideals of democracy and welcome a sham form of politics where the military and not the ballot box is the final determinant in who governs.

It isn't a question about giving up, but rather being realistic. If you were discussing politics in the US, I would have to agree with you, but that is not the case. From some of your previous posts, I know this fact isn't lost on you. Given the facts as they are, I would welcome the Democrats if they are able to pull it off.

Interesting that you use the US as a comparison- some would argue that the Bush regime over the last six years has harmed not only the US, but the world- to an extent that Thaksin could never have dreamed of. But few would say that the idiots (from an anti-Bush perspective) who elected the Republicans should not have the right to have their political choices honored. Or that the American army (a much more well educated group than the Thai) should determine who is allowed to govern.

The difference, of course, is that this is not the US. For some reason, people seem to think that democracy in Thailand should be exactly the same or even better than it is in their home countries. It isn't, and isn't likely to be for a long time.

Very well said. People looked at policy corruption under Thaksin, at alleged personal corruption- and said- this wouldn't be permitted in a developed democracy (such as the US- or better yet, Norway) and therefore- there 'is no democracy in Thailand'- so we might as well just welcome the army to turf the government out.

And hope that somehow, during the army's tenure at the helm of state, the entire political mindset of polititians and voters changes to match that of the Norwegians.

If you are suggesting- as some have- that PPP should not be permitted to govern because it's support base is too unsophisticated to vote intelligently- while acknowledging that those who voted for Bush in the US should have their electoral choices honored- well isn't that demanding of the Thais a much higher standard of political savvy than one would expect even from Americans?

The worst thing about this propaganda offensive, which now looks pretty authentic- and not simply the work of a couple of CNS hacks- (see the Post this morning)

Are you referring to:

<a href="http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/29Oct2007_news06.php" target="_blank">http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/29Oct2007_news06.php</a>

in which this "authenticity confirmation" is based upon the say so of an article, on Thaksin's own website, written by someone only identified by the simple name of "Pradab"??? :o

What are you talking about? Surayud has already confirmed its authenticity.

I'm talking about all the hoopla over its authenticity that's developed today and yesterday and the day before.

and even more now...

A cloud of mystery still hangs over the revelation of documents allegedly ordering the demise of the People Power party. "It is an internal matter," army commander-in-chief Gen Anupong said. "I know who leaked the classified documents but I am unable to comment on who was responsible and whether the documents had been faked." On October 28 part of the documents appeared on a website run by ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, www.hi-thaksin.org

Leader of the People Power party (PPP), Samak Sundaravej then held a press conference hinting that the Council for National Security had hatched a plan to ensure that the PPP be prevented from rising to power. He also claimed that an order for his murder had been issued.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=123092

The worst thing about this propaganda offensive, which now looks pretty authentic- and not simply the work of a couple of CNS hacks- (see the Post this morning)

Are you referring to:

<a href="http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/29Oct2007_news06.php" target="_blank">http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/29Oct2007_news06.php</a>

in which this "authenticity confirmation" is based upon the say so of an article, on Thaksin's own website, written by someone only identified by the simple name of "Pradab"??? :o

What are you talking about? Surayud has already confirmed its authenticity.

I'm talking about all the hoopla over its authenticity that's developed today and yesterday and the day before.

and even more now...

A cloud of mystery still hangs over the revelation of documents allegedly ordering the demise of the People Power party. "It is an internal matter," army commander-in-chief Gen Anupong said. "I know who leaked the classified documents but I am unable to comment on who was responsible and whether the documents had been faked." On October 28 part of the documents appeared on a website run by ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, www.hi-thaksin.org

Leader of the People Power party (PPP), Samak Sundaravej then held a press conference hinting that the Council for National Security had hatched a plan to ensure that the PPP be prevented from rising to power. He also claimed that an order for his murder had been issued.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=123092

good- then it should be very easy to obtain a transcript of that press conference - and find out just what he said- a lot can be misconstrued with sloppy translation and media sensationalism.

Samak is not getting the respect he hoped for with people regularly walking out on him. For him to say there was a death threat makes sense to pump his self worth up. From his perspective he sees himself with greater face than others do.

I have not done any analysis on Samak like I have Thaksin in the past, but from what I have seen he does appear to be a creature of habit. Based on his age I don’t think he will easily change.

If Samak was set up to run his mouth and sink his own ship, I think it would have been just adding more controversy to an already fatally damaged party from what he said before about proxies.

The EC certainly seems a lot tougher and knowing the PPP/TRT games they are sure to step over the line several times.

PPP to push for Samak as premier

Party's own poll shows it could win 250 seats outside South

People Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej must be made prime minister if the party gains the most seats, spokesman Kuthep Saikrachang said yesterday. A poll sponsored by the party had suggested it would win 250 MP seats outside of the South.

"I assure you if People Power Party gets more votes and more seats than the others, we will be more eligible to form a government than any other party," Kuthep said. "We won't let a minority party form a government like in the past when the Social Action Party got 18 MP seats and its leader MR Kukrit Pramoj became prime minister," he said. The party will definitely not let another party's leader take the post, he said.

Secretary-general Surapong Suebwonglee told the party's candidates at yesterday's seminar that a poll by the party had showed it would win 55 seats in the North, 100 seats in the Northeast, 40 in the Central plains and 15 in Bangkok. It would also get 40 party-list seats, Kuthep said.

Samak warned the party's 339 candidates to be careful not to break the law while campaigning, the spokesman said.

The candidates included 64 from the North, 131 from the Northeast, 65 from the Central, 46 from the South and 33 from Bangkok. There are only four constituencies for which the party has yet to name candidates.

Samak also told the meeting not to be worried about former Thai Rak Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra being an adviser, as long as it did not violate the law and the Election Commission (EC) approves of it. The party could seek advice from Thaksin anyway, even if the EC did not approve, he said. :o

The party can launch campaigns but without using Thaksin's photographs, Kuthep said.

However, it would wait for the EC's regulations before revising its media campaign.

The party yesterday also announced 12 policies for its campaign platform, most of them borrowed from ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's Thai Rak Thai party.

Deputy secretary-general Noppadon Pattama said the party would utilise and adapt the populist policies of the Thaksin government as well as improve on policies of the current administration.

Among the policies the party promises to implement if it wins the election are: no tax increases; a debt moratorium for farmers; further development of the Village Fund; allocation of the Small Medium Large fund (Bt300,000, Bt500,000, Bt700,000), implement the second stage of the One Tambon One Product project; set up a People Bank; increase capital for small- and medium-sized enterprises; distribute one million cattle to 100,000 farms; price guarantees for agricultural produce; allow people who find employment overseas to pay the job placement fee after starting work; and proceed with CEO-style provincial governors.

The party also promised to improve the Bt30-per-hospital-visit scheme by allowing people to use ID cards for any treatment, including emergency healthcare. Workers with social security will enjoy coverage for their families as well.

Students will be given educational loans that they can pay back after they get jobs, a project which would be funded by the two- and three-digit lottery. The party pledged to help teachers reduce their debts and give village heads the same healthcare coverage enjoyed by bureaucrats.

The party also promised to build proper roads connecting every village and to replace the dirt roads within four years. It also plans to establish centres to help vocational students start businesses and a new Thailand Knowledge Park project to develop online libraries.

The party also announced the line-up of its 35 women candidates, saying it would field the most number of women candidates among the political parties contesting the election.

The women candidates include former MPs and MP candidates such as Karuna Chidchob, Puwanida Khunpalin and Supamas Isarapakdi. Among the new women candidates are Leelawadee Watcharobol, Chinnicha Wongsawat, Parichart Chaleekrau and Pattana Sangkhasap.

- The Nation

================================================

Apparently they're still working out the numbers for precisely how many targets they will snuff out in the next so-called drug war, whether to set the target at 10,000,000 Elite Cards this time around, and how to distribute those 1,000,000 cows this time as only a few thousand were done the last time they were going to distribute a 1,000,000 cows.

250 currently seems a bit high with it having lost a number of sitting ex-MPs recently, but this claim along with if we win the most seats Samak will be PM is almost certainly aimed at influencing its own current lot of ex-MPs into not defecting. It will be interesting to see the response to this. Obviously to insist if you win the most seats but not an overall majority you will govern is to miss the point of coalition government and indeed semocracy where minority parties often put together a coalition to keep out the largest single party as for example happened in the Ukraine a few weeks ago. And of course that is democratic.

A quick change in heart to what Samak had just said....

Thaksin will not serve as PPP adviser

Ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra will not act as a formal adviser to the People Power Party (PPP) to avoid drawing unnecessary criticism, party spokesman Kuthep Saikrachang said. Kuthep said the Election Commission had already confirmed the former PM could be an adviser, even though his political rights were suspended for five years after his TRT party was convicted of electoral fraud and dissolved. The PPP, formed by former TRT politicians, earlier invited Thaksin to serve as adviser. Kuthep said the invitation had been withdrawn. However, PPP executives could still consult him. Kuthep said party leader Samak felt PPP candidates should not pose beside Thaksin in their campaign posters. 'However, individual candidates can still do so if they really want to,'' he said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/30Oct2007_news09.php

Acting CNS Chief denies CNS & Govt. obstruct PPP

The Royal Thai Air Force Commander-in-Chief and acting Chairman of the Council for National Security (CNS), ACM. Chalit Phukphasuk (ชลิต พุกผาสุข), says the CNS and the interim government held a meeting to discuss confidential documents exposed by the People Power Party. He affirms they have not obstructed the party.

ACM. Chalit says many government units are inspecting the documents in line with the National Security Act, adding that those who exposed the documents will be prosecuted. He says the CNS and the government’s work is aimed at bringing the country back to a peaceful state.

ACM. Chalit also states that the CNS will respect people’s decision if PPP wins a majority of seats in the parliament and forms the next government. Asked whether the People Power Party will bring about a coup d’état, he says it is not easy to stage a coup which has to be accepted by all sides.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 October 2007

Pua Paendin Party boast to win 60 MPs

Pua Paendin (For the Motherland) Party leader Suwit Khunkitti yesterday vowed to win more than 60 seats in Parliament and promised to implement nine policies to bring happiness and well-being to the people.

The policies are aimed at making people healthy, knowledgeable, prosperous, creating a good family, civil society, pleasant environment, enjoying high-priced produce, and developing the country with sound integrity and solidarity.

Suwit was speaking at the party's first annual caucus at Impact Muang Thong Thani, which attracted 10,000 members and party leaders such as Surakiart Sathirathai (TRT Banned #21), Pinij Charusombat (TRT Banned #11), Suchart Tancharoen (TRT Banned #20), and Preecha Laohapongchana (TRT Banned #68).

The party appointed Vatana Asavahame (a successful businessman who the United States says is linked to the international drug trade/also charged with involvement in corruption surrounding the Klong Dan wastewater treatment project) as the Party Chairman, and Police General Pracha Promnok as party chief adviser. Vatana introduced his two sons, Chonsawat (In addition to charges of refusing to take a breath test for alcohol and illegally detaining a police officer, police will now send a second warrant to hear the new charges, which now total eight) and Poolpol as Samut Prakan MP candidates.

I see Pua Paendin Party's Chairman has fully implemented his party's stated policy of "developing the country with sound integrity" ....

Vattana fails to show up for Klong Dan case

It was a no-show for Vattana Asavahame's first trial date on the Klong Dan wastewater treatment project in Samut Prakan Province on Tuesday. Former Deputy Interior Minister Vattana was accused of malpractice in the corruption-plagued Klong Dan project, where it is believed he colluded with eight land officials to issue fake land deeds for the site of the project between 1992 and 1993. He had been summoned by the Supreme Court to attend a first hearing in the morning, but judges were told by his lawyer that Vattana was unable to attend due to an illness. The hearing was rescheduled for

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=123124

Question;

As everything seems to be setting up road blocks to keep the old powers out of office and level the playing field for new faces to enter the race of office, does anyone have any statistics as to what percentage of new faces are in the game? All the news of late is about the old power trying to get back in. I cant help but wonder if anything is going on behind the scenes keeping new blood out.

Edited by John K

Question;

As everything seems to be setting up road blocks to keep the old powers out of office and level the playing field for new faces to enter the race of office, does anyone have any statistics as to what percentage of new faces are in the game? All the news of late is about the old power trying to get back in. I cant help but wonder if anything is going on behind the scenes keeping new blood out.

Nothing is going on behind the scenes. Why would there be? There is nothing wrong with "new blood" other than they see it better to align with existing power brokers if they are to have a chance in this election.

If you are suggesting- as some have- that PPP should not be permitted to govern because it's support base is too unsophisticated to vote intelligently- while acknowledging that those who voted for Bush in the US should have their electoral choices honored- well isn't that demanding of the Thais a much higher standard of political savvy than one would expect even from Americans?

I am not making such a suggestion and in fact have written exactly the opposite. I am lost as to why you have surmised this, unless it is what you think is the case and are looking for someone to agree. I don't agree.

I really don’t have an issue at this point with new blood. I was only asking if new blood is being encouraged not to play by the old blood. With all the ship jumping or perhaps it should be called musical chairs, it did as least raise the question as what is going on at the sub media level.

It doesn't get much older than this in regards to the old blood, John...

Sanoh confirms Pracharaj will remain intact for election

Veteran politician Sanoh Thienthong yesterday tried to end confusion over the future of the Pracharaj Party, saying it will remain independent for the coming general election. Former PM Chavalit Yongchaiyudh has been tipped to become new party leader. After days of reports about a merger with other political parties, Sanoh declared the Pracharaj Party would continue on due to support from his family and party members. He said the party would have about 30 former MPs running in the Central Plain and Northeast regions in the Dec 23 election. The party founder said he will step down as leader and make way for a successor to be named tomorrow. ''There will be another big press conference on Nov 1 and I believe it will be a big surprise. The one who will join us is a gentleman and I will be ready to have him succeed me as the party leader,'' Sanoh said. Although keeping his successor a secret, his meeting with Gen Chavalit in Nonthaburi yesterday fueled speculation that the former PM would return to politics to lead Pracharaj. A source close to Chavalit confirmed that Pracharaj and two other parties, Puea Pandin and People Power, had approached him and he would announce his decision soon.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/31Oct2007_news06.php

Former Deputy Interior Minister Asks Court to Postpone Corruption Case

The Supreme Court postponed the hearing on a corruption case against a former Deputy Interior Minister, to November 13 after his lawyer presented a medical certificate of his illness.

The Supreme Court's division for cases against political post holders held its first hearing into the charge of malfeasance against former Deputy Interior Minister Vattana Asavahame on Tuesday after the National Counter Corruption Commission and the Attorney-General agreed to launch an indictment against him for being involved in the overpriced land purchase for a government wastewater treatment project in Klong Dan area of Samut Prakarn province.

Vattana's lawyer submitted a request for the postponement of the hearing, claiming the former Deputy Interior Minister needs to be hospitalized for 4-5 days as he is sick with heart disease and fever.

The lawyer also presented a medical certificate from Bumrungrat hospital to prove the claim to the court. The court therefore decides to postpone the first hearing into the case to November 13 and instructed the lawyer of the accused that if his client fails to be present at that hearing due to his illness, the doctor responsible for his treatment must be present in court at that time to confirm the defendant is really sick.

Vattana is now an executive of the For Mother Land Party [Pua Paendin Party] and participated in the party's activities over the past one month before being admitted to the hospital on Monday.

- Thailand Outlook

===========================================

Too bad the courts didn't utilize that highlighted stipulation for Pojaman's Singaporean doctor or Suriya's American doctor when they used similar excuses several times during their cases.

Edited by sriracha john

It doesn't get much older than this in regards to the old blood, John...

Veteran politician Sanoh Thienthong yesterday tried to end confusion over the future of the Pracharaj Party, saying it will remain independent for the coming general election. Former PM Chavalit Yongchaiyudh has been tipped to become new party leader. After days of reports about a merger with other political parties, Sanoh declared the Pracharaj Party would continue on due to support from his family and party members. He said the party would have about 30 former MPs running in the Central Plain and Northeast regions in the Dec 23 election. The party founder said he will step down as leader and make way for a successor to be named tomorrow. ''There will be another big press conference on Nov 1 and I believe it will be a big surprise. The one who will join us is a gentleman and I will be ready to have him succeed me as the party leader,'' Sanoh said. Although keeping his successor a secret, his meeting with Gen Chavalit in Nonthaburi yesterday fueled speculation that the former PM would return to politics to lead Pracharaj. A source close to Chavalit confirmed that Pracharaj and two other parties, Puea Pandin and People Power, had approached him and he would announce his decision soon.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/31Oct2007_news06.php

If Chavalit sides with one of the non-PPP ex-TRT factions it will increase their chances in terh Isaan against the PPP where Chavalit still retains some influence. Lots of games.

Former Deputy Interior Minister Asks Court to Postpone Corruption Case

The Supreme Court postponed the hearing on a corruption case against a former Deputy Interior Minister, to November 13 after his lawyer presented a medical certificate of his illness.

The Supreme Court's division for cases against political post holders held its first hearing into the charge of malfeasance against former Deputy Interior Minister Vattana Asavahame on Tuesday after the National Counter Corruption Commission and the Attorney-General agreed to launch an indictment against him for being involved in the overpriced land purchase for a government wastewater treatment project in Klong Dan area of Samut Prakarn province.

Vattana's lawyer submitted a request for the postponement of the hearing, claiming the former Deputy Interior Minister needs to be hospitalized for 4-5 days as he is sick with heart disease and fever.

The lawyer also presented a medical certificate from Bumrungrat hospital to prove the claim to the court. The court therefore decides to postpone the first hearing into the case to November 13 and instructed the lawyer of the accused that if his client fails to be present at that hearing due to his illness, the doctor responsible for his treatment must be present in court at that time to confirm the defendant is really sick.

Vattana is now an executive of the For Mother Land Party [Pua Paendin Party] and participated in the party's activities over the past one month before being admitted to the hospital on Monday.

- Thailand Outlook

===========================================

Too bad the courts didn't utilize that highlighted stipulation for Pojaman's Singaporean doctor or Suriya's American doctor when they used similar excuses several times during their cases.

I see no reason why an ambulance, hospital bed, doctor, and a few attractive nurses can be provided to allow the hearing to take place. Better yet a house call at the hospital.

I bet he would probably decide on a quick trip to John Hopkins if he knew that would happen.

Korn.jpg

Korn Dabbarangsi

Pracharaj Party Deputy Leader Joins Chart Thai Party

Deputy Leader of the Pracharaj Party, Korn Dabarangsi, former Leader of the Chart Pattana Party which originally stemmed from the Chart Thai Party, yesterday decided to defect the Pracharaj Party and join the Chart Thai Party, which he declined to discuss about the decision for the sudden move.

Korn yesterday visited Pracharaj Leader Snoh Thienthong at his residence in Nonthaburi to inform the veteran politician of his decision to defect the party and join up with the Chart Thai Party, which is led by Barnharn Silpa-archa, a former Prime Minister and also a veteran politician in Thai politics.

Earlier, Korn has been selected by the Pracharaj Leader as the party’s candidate for the post of Prime Minister in the upcoming general election. However, Snoh later reconsidered Korn’s role in the party when he decided to organize a meeting at the residence of former Prime Minister General Chatchai Choonhavarn aiming to merge the Pracharaj, the Matchima Thipatai and the Ruam Jai Thai together, without Snoh’s consent.

Snoh commented on Korn’s move, saying that he had made the right decision to join a good party like Chart Thai, which had long been in existence. The Pracharaj Leader did not object to Korn’s decision, as he also wished Korn the greatness of luck in the upcoming poll.

Despite speculation that Snoh and his family members might follow Korn to Chart Thai, he said he would remain at the party and promised that Pracharaj will definitely contest the poll on December 23.

Korn’s latest move followed a recent merger between the Chart Thai and the Mahachon Party led by Sanan Kachornprasart, who had brought along 15 other members of the party to join with Chart Thai on Monday.

Reportedly, Korn’s decision to defect the party came one day after Sanoh’s announcement to step down from the post of party leader and transfer the party’s leadership to his successor, believed by most as former Prime Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, who founded the dissolved New Aspiration Party (Kwan Wung Mai).

Both the Chart Thai and the Pracharaj Party vowed to work with the Democrat Party after the election, possibly in a coalition or as an opposition party.

- Thailand Outlook

================================

That first paragraph speaks volumes on the current state. :o

Party memberships are definitely being written in pencil and not ink.

Banned TRT execs can advise and be involved: Adisorn (TRT Banned)

Banned Thai Rak Thai Party executive Adisorn Piengket (TRT Banned #55) hit out at prominent lawmaker Prasong Soonsiri Thursday, accusing him of trying to mislead the public that banned party executives could not engage in political campaign activities.

"I think Prasong knows full well about the law but pretends to be ignorant," he said.

Adisorn spoke in reaction to Prasong's comments about seeking a judicial review to block banned party executives from getting involved in party campaigns.

Under relevant provisions, banned party executives were obliged not to hold a management position in a party and had their voting right revoked for five years, but they could air opinions in an advisory role and be involved in activities - except running for office, Adisorn said.

- The Nation

========================================

Amazing how many names in this thread on current Thai politics have had the (TRT Banned # ) moniker attached to them. With the previously unused and highly appropriate 55 assigned to the latest, it's gotta be darn near 111 by now.

(although it's not quite as funny as 555, a shorter 55 is still good for a chuckle)

Edited by sriracha john

Just feeding out a little more hanging rope SJ. The only way they will stop in sit in jail on contempt charges or whatever. The more in jail the better it seems. So you say there are darn near 111 moths circling that flame now?

When the day comes and goes that they can no longer play musical chairs is the day I am waiting for. Then get out your ear plugs because all you will hear is them crying “it isn’t fair” as the PPP is removed from the ballot for being proxies to the banned.

....Former PM Chavalit Yongchaiyudh has been tipped to become new party leader.

A source close to Chavalit confirmed that Pracharaj and two other parties, Puea Pandin and People Power, had approached him and he would announce his decision soon.

well, apparently the Puea Pandin Party is out of the above contest, but I do rather like Chavalit's unique new solution... be a part of ALL the parties. :o:D

Chavalit gives up comeback bid

Former PM Chavalit Yongchaiyudh has given up any intention of re-entering politics, ending speculation he could lead the Puea Pandin party, according to his close aide Sornchai Montriwat. Puea Pandin is now under the leadership of Suvit Khunkitti. Conjecture that Chavalit might join Puea Pandin gained momentum recently after another of his aides, Gen Wichit Yathip joined the party. However, Chavalit felt that whichever party he joined he would become a target of criticism, said Maj-Gen Sornchai, a member of the People Power Party. Chavalit preferred to be an adviser to all parties. Wichit's decision to join Puea Pandin was a personal matter, Sornchai added. Meanwhile, former Deputy Leader of the Pracharaj Party Korn Dabbaransi (TRT Non-Banned #7) has completed his latest political jump and officially applied to join the Chart Thai Party. Chart Thai Party Leader Banharn Silpa-archa has also reportedly invited Pracharaj Party Leader Sanoh Thienthong (TRT Non-Banned #1) to return to the Chart Thai Party. Sanoh was Secretary-General of the Chart Thai Party in the mid-1990s. The Chart Thai Party has expanded rapidly over the past week, with Mahachon Party Leader Sanan Kachornprasart leading his followers into the party on Monday. Banharn declined to comment on remarks by the Chart Thai Party's estranged Deputy Leader Chuwit Kamolvisit, who said the Chart Thai Party's recruitment of new members would not compensate for his departure. Chuwit yesterday paid a visit to the Pracharaj Party headquarters.

Exceedingly confusing wheeling and dealing continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/02Nov2007_news05.php

Edited by sriracha john

Wait... there's more horse-trading:

Wadah faction denies defection to People Power Party

A Wadah faction [part of the banned Thai Rak Thai Party] member yesterday denied reports of a move to the People Power Party, but a source said the group might defect if it can control the selection of candidates in the South.

The group will make its decision today.

Najmuddin Uma, a likely candidate for Narathiwat, said the People Power Party has been trying to talk Wadah into jumping from the Matchima Thipataya Party.

However, Wan Mohamad Noor Matha (TRT Banned #14) had not told Areepen Uttarasin, the group Leader, to turn to the People Power Party, he said.

"Wan Noor only told Areepen the faction should be united no matter what party it belongs to," he said.

Wadah is still with the Matchima Thipataya Party, but that might change depending on the political situation, he said.

However, a source from the group, who asked not to be named, said it had contacted the People Power Party, proposing a condition that if it joins, it must decide the candidates for the South.

The People Power Party had not earmarked anyone as candidates in the three southernmost provinces, which are Wadah's stronghold, the source said. The group was confident of winning most of the seats there.

People Power Party executive Samarn Lertwongrat said he had not seen any applications from Wadah members, but they were all welcome.

- The Nation