New Political Party Ready To Launch

sriracha john

My read on this is the documents would only cause problems for people trying to cause problems for the country. I also see that Sonthi may be holding back a little seeing the dates of the documents in question are about a month old give or take. Like a good military man, setting a few Claymore mines is helpful in getting a good nights sleep in the field.

So for Samak to say this is an attack on the PPP, would only suggests that the Plans of the PPP don’t have the countries best interest in mind.

No doubt the PPP will milk this for a while, however I think the punch is gone if people can read it prior to being lead down the road of propaganda.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While not thinking the Dems are totally clean in terms of electoral shennanigans they are generally seen as getting up to a lot less than other parties. I always wonder just how much, if at all, this disadvantages them electorally vis-a-vis other parties, and if there is ever a debate inside the party over whether to get into fullscale transfer fee recrutiment and the hiring of a secretary general for the party who could financioally influence the outcome of an election. Personally I hope they dont go that way, but wonder at the temptations for them as they see others so often beat them to the post. Maybe they will be rewarded this time around.

Hammered, this isn't the case. Remember, this is a party that has been around for a long, long time, not an ad hoc group thrown together to win the upcoming election. These guys would never use what funds they have to "purchase" politicians. It just isn't what they are about. They would rather lose than sell out.

On who is clean in terms of electoral shenanigans, the way to view the Demo's is that they are the relatively clean party. In Thai politics nobody is clean, similar to US politics and most other countries for that matter.

PPP wants EC ruling

The People Power Party will ask the Election Commission if former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra can act as its adviser.

"The planned consultation with the EC is expected to clarify the extent banned party executives can get involved in electioneering," party executive and legal adviser Noppadon Patama said yesterday.

Questions include whether Thaksin can pose with candidates in campaign pictures.

If Thaksin gets the green light :o, the party will also name other debarred Thai Rak Thai executives :D , such as Chaturon Chaisang :D, Phrommin Lertsuridej :D and Phumtham Wechayachai :D, as advisers, he added. :bah: :bah: :o

The Nation

BANNED FROM POLITICAL ACTIVITY FOR 5 YEARS

I wonder which part it is they do not understand? ;)

Edited by Tony Clifton

PPP wants EC ruling

The People Power Party will ask the Election Commission if former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra can act as its adviser.

"The planned consultation with the EC is expected to clarify the extent banned party executives can get involved in electioneering," party executive and legal adviser Noppadon Patama said yesterday.

Questions include whether Thaksin can pose with candidates in campaign pictures.

If Thaksin gets the green light :o, the party will also name other debarred Thai Rak Thai executives :D , such as Chaturon Chaisang :D, Phrommin Lertsuridej :D and Phumtham Wechayachai :D, as advisers, he added. :bah: :bah: :o

The Nation

Looking at this it once again reminds me of the original Batman series on TV in the 1960's. the villains were smart and creative, however their gang members were not the brightest bulbs in the tree. I would say Thaksin equates to the Riddler as it seems he left riddles behind as to how he screwed the Thai people out of their money and the Thais are figuring out the riddles of how he did it.

It matches up very well with Thaksin’s statement “I am the main player and others are my helpers.”

As Batman said ‘The riddler is up to his old tricks.'

post-17597-1193278143_thumb.jpg

PPP wants EC ruling

The Nation

If Prommin aligns with Samak it will be the ultimate in traitorous acts to the memory of all those murdered on October 6, 1976. One can only hope that Prommin still holds dear to at least something from the past. His standing with ordinary October people is already low enough.

While not thinking the Dems are totally clean in terms of electoral shennanigans they are generally seen as getting up to a lot less than other parties. I always wonder just how much, if at all, this disadvantages them electorally vis-a-vis other parties, and if there is ever a debate inside the party over whether to get into fullscale transfer fee recrutiment and the hiring of a secretary general for the party who could financioally influence the outcome of an election. Personally I hope they dont go that way, but wonder at the temptations for them as they see others so often beat them to the post. Maybe they will be rewarded this time around.

Hammered, this isn't the case. Remember, this is a party that has been around for a long, long time, not an ad hoc group thrown together to win the upcoming election. These guys would never use what funds they have to "purchase" politicians. It just isn't what they are about. They would rather lose than sell out.

On who is clean in terms of electoral shenanigans, the way to view the Demo's is that they are the relatively clean party. In Thai politics nobody is clean, similar to US politics and most other countries for that matter.

I know that the Dems are the only real political party as we understand it in western terms in Thailand with all the rest being purely set up for clan/family/business group advantage, however, I wonder how those in the party feel when they see the constant use of money politics morphing into something new to always seemingly see them off. The Dems always seem destined to govern only when they inherit a politcal or econonmic mess to sort out created by others. Will they ever be able to win in a time when the country could actually be taken forward or are they destined to always just be left to sort out a mess and then when it is sorted have the big money conglomerate self interst parties come along and buy themselves into power and then start the whole cycle again? It would be interesting to actualy have the modern dems in power at a time of stability and see wht they could do for the country then. Can this ever be achieved without them resorting more to money politcs or without the destruction of the patronage politics that has for years even before the TRT delivered the Isaan as a block into the hands of a single monied up grouping or party? While the Isaan doesnt guarantee a party victory it makes it a lot easier - TRT two times, NAP etc even the undemocratic Sarit had and carefully maintained immense support there.

Mind you a party that has the attitude of lose is better than sell out is heartening. It is impossible to name another single party in Thailand that would hold to this.

Mahachon says it will not merge with Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana

Deputy Leader of the Mahachon (มหาชน) Party, Akapol Sorasuchart (อรรคพล สรสุชาติ), dismisses rumors that the party will merge with the Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana (รวมใจไทยชาติพัฒนา) Party and affirms it will send candidates for members of the parliament (MPs) to run in the general election at the end of this year.

However, the deputy leader admits that his party has discussed political issues with Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana as its secretary-general, Pradit Pattaraprasit (ประดิษฐ์ ภัทรประสิทธิ์), is familiar with Mahachon Leader Sanan Kachornprasart (สนั่น ขจรประศาสน์).

Mr Akapol says the party will send MP candidates to compete the election only in some constituencies.

In addition, the deputy leader affirms he will not resign as member of the National Legislative Assembly as rumor say. However, he has yet decided whether to run in the general election.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 October 2007

PM to discuss confidential documents with CNS

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont says he will discuss confidential documents exposed to the media by Samak Sundaravej (สมัคร สุนทรเวช) with the Council for National Security (CNS).

The premier gave an interview before traveling to the provinces of Buri Ram and Surin, saying that he will discuss the matter with Air Force Chief and CNS Acting Chairman ACM.Chalit Pukbhasuk (ชลิต พุกผาสุข).

The confidential documents exposed by Mr Samak, leader of the People Power Party, allegedly concern the coup maker’s attempts to bar his party from politics.

EC: Thaksin can be party's adviser

The Election Commission (EC) says it has no objection if former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra wants to return to politics as an adviser to the People Power party (PPP).

Election commissioner Praphan Naikowit said election law did not bar him from taking the position. The deposed prime minister could be the adviser as long as he did not break the law. :o

Bangkok Post

:D

The Election Commission (EC) says it has no objection if former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra wants to return to politics as an adviser to the People Power party (PPP).

Election commissioner Praphan Naikowit said election law did not bar him from taking the position. The deposed prime minister could be the adviser as long as he did not break the law. :D

Bangkok Post

Any Law???? :o

Election commissioner Praphan Naikowit said election law did not bar him from taking the position. The deposed prime minister could be the adviser as long as he did not break the law. :o

Bangkok Post

I see an interesting debate over what an adviser is and can do developing here. I certainly dont expect the savvy Mr. T to just quietly sit in smoke filled rooms in London advising the PPP on what colour their banners should be or what their line on FTAs with China should be or even what their politcal line on asset concealment cases or political pardons should be. More likely his face will start to appear all over their literature and banners and get mentioned ad infinitum. In some ways at least this is honest as it is his party. It could well end up in another court case though as he will push the barrier as much as he thinks he can get away with and that will probably be more than at least some of his opponents will agree with. Ho hum. What fun.

I know that the Dems are the only real political party as we understand it in western terms in Thailand with all the rest being purely set up for clan/family/business group advantage, however, I wonder how those in the party feel when they see the constant use of money politics morphing into something new to always seemingly see them off. The Dems always seem destined to govern only when they inherit a politcal or econonmic mess to sort out created by others. Will they ever be able to win in a time when the country could actually be taken forward or are they destined to always just be left to sort out a mess and then when it is sorted have the big money conglomerate self interst parties come along and buy themselves into power and then start the whole cycle again? It would be interesting to actualy have the modern dems in power at a time of stability and see wht they could do for the country then. Can this ever be achieved without them resorting more to money politcs or without the destruction of the patronage politics that has for years even before the TRT delivered the Isaan as a block into the hands of a single monied up grouping or party? While the Isaan doesnt guarantee a party victory it makes it a lot easier - TRT two times, NAP etc even the undemocratic Sarit had and carefully maintained immense support there.

Mind you a party that has the attitude of lose is better than sell out is heartening. It is impossible to name another single party in Thailand that would hold to this.

Money plays a big part into why the Demo's seem to gain power only when the country has been led into the abyss by one or more of the ad hoc political parties. The Demo's do not have the war chest to buy elections. The ad hoc political parties normally do and with their cronies purchase votes and immediately become heads of the country. They take what they can and for one reason or another usually end up dissolving parliament, calling for new elections, and then a similar group comes in to take what they can. This goes on until the country falters, resulting in either the Demo's winning one of the elections, a coup occurs or a Royally appointed government assumes power to stabilize the situation. Then it happens again.

EC Secretary-General believes DPM Sonthi never thought about undermining People Power Party

Election Commission (EC) Secretary-General Sutthipol Thaweechaikarn (สุทธิพล ทวีชัยการ) says he believes that Deputy Prime Minister Gen.Sonthi Boonyaratglin will not obstruct the People Power Party and calls on the party not to panic over the matter.

According to the secretary-general, leader of the People Power Party Samak Sundaravej (สมัคร สุนทรเวช) revealed that the government’s committee against vote buying chaired by Gen.Sonthi had tried to obstruct candidates for members of the parliament (MPs) who are former MPs from the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party. Mr Sutthipol affirms the committee will not do anything against the laws.

However, Mr Sutthipol says he will discuss Mr Samak’s allegation against the committee with EC Chairman Apichart Sukhagganond (อภิชาต สุขัคคานนท์) to decide whether to request the government to explain the matter.

Meanwhile, the EC chairman refuses to inspect the government’s neutrality concerning the general election.

Yes I agree a good debate is in the wings, however for me that will need to wait for another day according to the appointment book. It does leave several questions to answer as apparently this is playing right into Thaksin’s hands. At any rate, I guess we can close the calling it quits thread now.

Money plays a big part into why the Demo's seem to gain power only when the country has been led into the abyss by one or more of the ad hoc political parties. The Demo's do not have the war chest to buy elections. The ad hoc political parties normally do and with their cronies purchase votes and immediately become heads of the country. They take what they can and for one reason or another usually end up dissolving parliament, calling for new elections, and then a similar group comes in to take what they can. This goes on until the country falters, resulting in either the Demo's winning one of the elections, a coup occurs or a Royally appointed government assumes power to stabilize the situation. Then it happens again.

Ever since I have been here that cycle seems to have been the norm.

Six months ago people were worried that the Consitution undermines the power of elected politicians.

Looking at the state of politics now it seems like a very good idea.

The danger is that Democrats will be thrown out with the water, too but I think they'll survive.

They need to clean up their house first, at the moment they don't seem like they can step up to the plate and steer the country towards prosperity.

Consitutional restrictions is the last thing they have to worry about.

They (democrats) need to clean up their house first, at the moment they don't seem like they can step up to the plate and steer the country towards prosperity.

Assuming they are given the ability to implement their "People's Agenda", they would not agree with this statement and neither would I.

Yes I agree a good debate is in the wings, however for me that will need to wait for another day according to the appointment book. It does leave several questions to answer as apparently this is playing right into Thaksin’s hands. At any rate, I guess we can close the calling it quits thread now.

The problem with debates here is that those running simply say what they are going to do and make it sound so good that people vote for them. Nobody ever presses the issue as to how they will pay for what they say they will do. Once elected, they do what they want.

PPP candidates want to use photos of Thaksin

People Power Party candidates plan to feature photographs of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on their campaign posters.

Prasop Budsarakham, a prospective candidate from Udon Thani for the December 23 general election, said he would make posters with Thaksin's image alongside his because people still loved the deposed premier.

"I want to tell people that I am still with him [Thaksin], unlike some former [udon Thani] MPs who quit Thai Rak Thai to join other parties but claim they still love Thaksin," he said.

The PPP plans to hold 15 rallies in the Northeast.

Source: The Nation - 26 October 2007

They (democrats) need to clean up their house first, at the moment they don't seem like they can step up to the plate and steer the country towards prosperity.

Assuming they are given the ability to implement their "People's Agenda", they would not agree with this statement and neither would I.

I do not have any inside information but from little leaks in the press it appears that "People's Agenda" is pushed mainly by Abhisit and Co. I don't think their regional MPs have fully embraced it.

There's some infighting, too. Just yesterday one of their prospective candidates publicly quit.

Abhisit is doing the right thing to the best of his abilities and I fully support his bid to premiership but in absolute terms the results haven't been very impressive. I'm worried that he will be defeated by PPP alliance.

I do not have any inside information but from little leaks in the press it appears that "People's Agenda" is pushed mainly by Abhisit and Co. I don't think their regional MPs have fully embraced it.

There's some infighting, too. Just yesterday one of their prospective candidates publicly quit.

Abhisit is doing the right thing to the best of his abilities and I fully support his bid to premiership but in absolute terms the results haven't been very impressive. I'm worried that he will be defeated by PPP alliance.

I am very worried about the PPP as well, but keep telling myself that the junta will not allow the PPP to gain control. If the PPP gains control then the whole year was a waste of time.

I know the member who quit and I think Abhisit mishandled this. Abhisit should have found a common ground between his people, but didn't. He needs to be able to manage his people better than this if he is going to be as good of a PM as we all think he will eventually be.

The problem with debates here is that those running simply say what they are going to do and make it sound so good that people vote for them. Nobody ever presses the issue as to how they will pay for what they say they will do. Once elected, they do what they want.

And the media are particularly useless at highlighting the costing issues and how the revenue will be paid and what it may mean. But that is not surprising considering most media are tied to the power groups that get elected and then have all the fun and those that are not become too scared to question the status quo for fear of what may happen to them via loss of advertising revenue etc or they just decide to go along with whatever those elected feel like getting up to. In some ways to have expected the democratic check and balance mechanisms to actually work after the maybe idealistic 1997 constitution was to expect too much when the established media was controlled or bullied and has with rare exceptions not held any strong government accountable for anything although often quite hard on a weak government as those controlling the particualr media outlet gave the media the greenlight to try and force a quick election. (Talking about Thai media rather than the English language stuff here)

I am very worried about the PPP as well, but keep telling myself that the junta will not allow the PPP to gain control. If the PPP gains control then the whole year was a waste of time.

I know the member who quit and I think Abhisit mishandled this. Abhisit should have found a common ground between his people, but didn't. He needs to be able to manage his people better than this if he is going to be as good of a PM as we all think he will eventually be.

We should have a better idea of how this will go when we reach no more jumping the party ship time. At the moment it looks like the PPP are playing strong defence - try to get the media away from vote buying and onto military vote manipulation, pull the Thaksin card as far as getting his face out their, play for the sympathy vote and try to fend off the poaching of the sitting MPs that they will rely on. The last is important to watch from what I hear. The PPP had a big advantage over all the ex-TRT defector parties initially as it was organised and extremely well funded and able to at least nominally bring a few hundred sitting MPs almost certain to retain their sits on board. How many will it retain now the some of theother groups are finally better organised and well funded and with constituency boundaries changed? It is almost certainly the case that PPP were at their strongest while the other so called centrist parties feuded and merged and unmerged. Now a couple of them are sorted PPP probably stands to lose more through defections out than gain from defections in, and those I know close to the party say that is where the battle is. To date they have only lost about ten MPs fom their high. If they can keep it at this level they could outdo the Dems quite easily. If they start to lose more they will struggle. All the sympathy stuff and attempts t use Ts picture while not allowing others to is probably aimed at giving potential defectors something to think about as much as gaining votes that the ex-MPs already have. The one thing that may well come from this is that the emnity between PPP and the new parties will grow as they battle for the same seats making it a lot harder for PPP to cobble a coaltion together even if they win most seats.

If PPP were to win the most worrying thing, aside from obvious revenge and a new round of street demos, is to try and think of anyone in their party capable of holding an important ministry. That alone may identify the whole PPP project as something not aimed at winning but at producing a very and therefore influential opposition that a deal has to be cut with. I cant see even T wanting an election victory and then having to let Yuth Dooyen run the finance ministry and Newin Chidchob the commerce. Being identitifed with a destruction of the economy is probably something he doesnt want to be associated with. Also the unpredictable but wily Chavalit has stayed away from PPP, and he has usually been good at guessing what side to be on.

Still it shouldnt be long before we see the fianl party line ups for the election although a number of Thai people I know still dont think there will be an election on Dec 23!

Does the fact that the junta will not allow a specific party, regardless of how popular it is, (or unpopular in some circles) to 'gain control' not worry you? Why bother with elections at all then?

Sorry to sound pedantic- but the essential principle underlying democracy is that while I might believe that a certain party, should it attain power, will destroy the country- I agree to defend the right of the majority to elect that party and for that party to serve out its term in accordance with law.

But don't worry- the coup was not wasted. The relatively benign nature of this one- the relatively efficient handling of the economy- the nature of the constitution that it brought about- all will ensure that there will be many more coups to come- and those who fear democracy, can breathe easily for a few more years.

For the moment I think this debate is a bit premature as I feel once the clock run past a certain point where the PPP/TRT can’t regroup they will be disqualified one way or the other for being proxies of club 111.

Samak has already been silenced internally to a certain extent as you don’t hear much about being a proxy any more. I would not doubt there is some damage control underway via Thaksin money to avoid the above mentioned fate.

The documents in question recently in the news would tend to support that based on the time frame the documents came to light. Samak was up in Isaan getting disrespected around September 25 and announcing he was proud to be Thaksin’s proxy just around the other date. I think it is fair to say the fuse has been lit and all that is left is the explosion.

Edited by John K

For the moment I think this debate is a bit premature as I feel once the clock run past a certain point where the PPP/TRT can’t regroup they will be disqualified one way or the other for being proxies of club 111.

Samak has already been silenced internally to a certain extent as you don’t hear much about being a proxy any more. I would not doubt there is some damage control underway via Thaksin money to avoid the above mentioned fate.

The documents in question recently in the news would tend to support that based on the time frame the documents came to light. Samak was up in Isaan getting disrespected around September 25 and announcing he was proud to be Thaksin’s proxy just around the other date. I think it is fair to say the fuse has been lit and all that is left is the explosion.

Personally I think the Junta would quite like to see PPP run and be defeated, which is entirely feasible. However, if they think there is a chance PPP may actaully win I wouldnt want to second guess what their reaction may be. Lets wait until when MPs can no longer jump ship then it should be relatively easy to predict how things will go as sitting MPs rarely lose and this is even more so the case up country where PPP is strong.

Personally I think the Junta would quite like to see PPP run and be defeated, which is entirely feasible. However, if they think there is a chance PPP may actaully win I wouldnt want to second guess what their reaction may be. Lets wait until when MPs can no longer jump ship then it should be relatively easy to predict how things will go as sitting MPs rarely lose and this is even more so the case up country where PPP is strong.

If you step back several steps and look at the very big picture, nearly all the changes in laws are directed at seeing that ‘a’ Thaksin does not happen again. The PPP/TRT are trying for all their worth to make it happen again.

This alone makes it very difficult for the old ways to happen and forces them to play by the rules (at least on the surface). I agree when they day comes and goes where the MP’s can’t jump ship is when the fuse will find the powder.

As for the junta wanting to see the PPP/TRT go down in defeat in the polls, you can bet there will be all kinds of crying and bad mouthing going on. “It’s not fair” seems to be a common phrase I have heard from them in the past. Then they more than likely they will try to organize their own coup would be the next step based on how they think. There is no way they plan to wait out the remainder of the five years.

If you step back several steps and look at the very big picture, nearly all the changes in laws are directed at seeing that ‘a’ Thaksin does not happen again. The PPP/TRT are trying for all their worth to make it happen again.

This alone makes it very difficult for the old ways to happen and forces them to play by the rules (at least on the surface). I agree when they day comes and goes where the MP’s can’t jump ship is when the fuse will find the powder.

As for the junta wanting to see the PPP/TRT go down in defeat in the polls, you can bet there will be all kinds of crying and bad mouthing going on. “It’s not fair” seems to be a common phrase I have heard from them in the past. Then they more than likely they will try to organize their own coup would be the next step based on how they think. There is no way they plan to wait out the remainder of the five years.

Yes the new charter was written to try and avoid a new T. Maybe that will work and maybe not. However, I just feel that the Junta would prefer to see PPP beaten electorally in what can be seen internationally as a reasonably fair election rather than by red carding them out of existence or banning them. However, I wouldnt want to bet on the Junta not employing the other options if it looks like PPP could win. That the Junta would like to see PPP beaten electorally probably sets the battleground now. PPP try to play up tricks against them to make the election look unfair and to get sympathey while the Junta try to play up PPP's use of money to buy thsoe unbeatable ex-MPs with a tad of vote buying. There will also no doubt be attempts to transfer sitting MPs away from various parties. What it really shows is neither side is willing to leave this totally to the vagaries of any kind of fair election. Both sides will use every trick they can to win the power struggle. Just notice the singular lack of policies by most to notice how this is about rounding up tied votes rather than appealing to people to vote a policy platform.

Does the fact that the junta will not allow a specific party, regardless of how popular it is, (or unpopular in some circles) to 'gain control' not worry you? Why bother with elections at all then?

Sorry to sound pedantic- but the essential principle underlying democracy is that while I might believe that a certain party, should it attain power, will destroy the country- I agree to defend the right of the majority to elect that party and for that party to serve out its term in accordance with law.

Theoretically I agree with you, but you are arguing from a purist standpoint and this simply isn't the type of democracy we have here (yet). Realistically, if the PPP gains power we will be back to a group that will have no problem dismantling any constitution and all checks and balances. At the end of the day, there will be little difference between what the junta has done and what that group will do. However, if the next government is a different one, then there is a chance that this country will move forward. Sometimes the ends justifies the means.

Mr Chuwit affirms not to run in general election

Deputy Leader of the Chart Thai Party, Chuwit Kamolvisit (ชูวิทย์ กมลวิศิษฎ์), affirms he will not run in the general election in the party-list system and suggests Chart Thai Leader Banharn Silpa-archa (บรรหาร ศิลปอาชา) to resign and find someone else to be party leader.

According to Mr Chuwit, the Chart Thai leader decided to have him run in the election in the party-list system in the second ranking of the list. He says he has no problem over the matter and affirms he will not run in the election as neither he nor the party is ready.

Mr Chuwit also calls on Mr Banharn to resign as the party leader is too conservative. He adds that more than 80% of the party’s members agree with him and he has an intention to improve the party, not to satirize Mr Banharn.

The deputy leader says he will not quit from the party.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 October 2007