New Political Party Ready To Launch

sriracha john

30056537-01.jpg

Puea Paendin Party Secretary-General Watchra Panchet, left, a party-list candidate Juthamas Siriwan, centre, on Sunday unveil a tourism campaign for the December 23 election at Wat Benchamabopitr.

The Nation

=============================

say... I see my signature subject has found a new job.....

V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They analyzed the Party-list MP's last week and this week is the first of weekly updates on The Nation's analysis of Constituency MP's, as well:

PPP headed for 190 seats

The People Power Party will win as many as 190 seats in the election, sweeping all regions except Bangkok and the South, where the predicted runners-up, the Democrat Party, is more popular, according to the first analysis of the upcoming election by the Nation Group.

Nation Group will analyze and evaluate the electoral battle weekly until polling day, based on previous analysis, databases and current political factors, and publish its conclusions every Monday.

Although People Power will win the majority of seats, it will be much less than Thai Rak Thai won in the 2005 election - 377 of a total 500 constituency and party list members.

This election there are 400 constituency seats up for grabs and 80 party-list members will be elected according to the proportion of total votes won by their parties.

People Power, widely viewed as a reinvention of Thai Rak Thai, will maintain that party's strong hold on the North, but half the seats in the Northeast will fall to new parties Puea Pandin and Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana. In the last election, Thai Rak Thai won 126 Northeast seats.

People Power will win fewer seats in Bangkok than Thai Rak Thai did in the last election - 14 compared to 32.

The Democrats are expected to take 128 seats. The party will claim 51 seats in the South from a total of 56. It will take another eight of the 10 available proportionally elected House spots.

Overall, the Democrats will do better than in 2005, when they won 96 out of the 500 seats.

Democrat and People Power candidates are involved in neck-and-neck races in many constituencies in the North and Bangkok.

The Democrats will take 18 seats in the capital, up from four in 2005.

Chart Thai looks set to win 63 seats, up from 25 last time.

Puea Pandin is on target to win 45 seats, while Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana should bag 23. The Matchima Thipataya looks on course for 22 seats.

Pracharaj Party should be a surprise with nine seats.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Fortunately the above analysis is just a snapshot in time. The PPP/TRT tree has just been given a big kick by the EC, and the rotten apples falling may roll around looking for a new place to drop their seeds with no place to go.

By the end of the month the PPP/TRT could very well be defunct because of the club 111 infestation.

While Nation's own analists predicted 190 seats for PPP, another article has this little snippet

"The survey by the Internal Security Operations Command showed that People Power would win more than 300 of the 480 House seats."

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/11/19/pol...cs_30056612.php

The countrywide opinion polls would probably show a figure in between. I, personally, think that the result will be an exact mirror of Constitution referendum. I haven't seen any developments that would inspire people to change their minds or voting patterns.

That means PPP wins the most seats but can't form the government.

OK lets look at reality here. The members of club 111 that are presently infesting the PPP/TRT are/were the most connected as they were the last in power. Those connections may have the means to make things happen, although without huge amounts of graft.

Because the EC said GO AWAY, and the constitutional tribunal said GO AWAY, we must assume they will try to stay. That could very possibly cause the PPP/TRT to get a red card as a party. It will take at least a week in my mind for the dust to settle and see where things may go.

Because of that I think any polls up to now don’t reflect the true playing field I simply would ignore them until club 111 has had a chance to “It’s not fair” in front of the constitutional tribunal as the EC has suggested.

Maybe Abhisit is worried at the prospect of a PPP dissolution. Obviously it would help his party but leave the country divided even more and internationally seen as joke.

If the PPP is ultimately dissolved itself as being nothing more than a proxy for a disbanded TRT, why do you think the election would be seen as a sham internationally?

The international community at the time of the TRT dissolution didn't raise a big stink, which I thought was a tribute to the diligent and well thought rendering from the Constitutional Court. Is it such a stretch that if it is pointed out to them what the PPP has been up to, that they would accept the same dissolution that befell the TRT without viewing the whole process as a sham?

The PPP whether I or you like it or not does represent the voice of a significant minority at least and maybe even a majority of those who will vote. Quite how big this group is we will see after the election. To take the entire PPP out would be to disenfranchise this large group of the electorate. The outside world is not stupid. To disenfrachise a large proportion of the country is not just about politcal meddling which quite honestly the west probably doesnt care about, but it can have impacts upon perceived or real national stability and investment sentiment. The west does have many companies wanting to invest here or with already announced plans these groups which are influential in their own countries and who will not want to see a sham election. Remember too the satement after the April 2 election, which gives pause for thought on how Thai people see an election being democratic or otherwise.

All this does not put the Junta in the strongest of positions. The PPP can quite likely break a bunch of EC rules because disolution is such a dangerous option. Of course taking out a group of individuals or having the whole decision tied up in courts may be better for them. The Junta will be thinking long and hard about how they can see an election in which the monied up, well organised, cocky, arrogant, obnoxious and confident PPP packed full of nigh on impossible candidates to beat actually lose to a fractious group of new parties combined with a couple with longer histories. However, imho the disolution card can only be played as a last resort. There is also the compication that many of the new parties have very significant advisors that are in the 111 club and who have to date been as active as the PPP ones in many cases. The Junta is relying on these new parties. Setting any precedent on breaking electoral rules against PPP could result in counter accusations against new parties. It could get very messy. In fact a clear cut decision by the relevent and final court is probably needed in the next few days considering the EC are only willing to give an opinion. Whether this is possible who knows but persoanlly I fully expect the next month or so to get no better.

They analyzed the Party-list MP's last week and this week is the first of weekly updates on The Nation's analysis of Constituency MP's, as well:

PPP headed for 190 seats

The People Power Party will win as many as 190 seats in the election, sweeping all regions except Bangkok and the South, where the predicted runners-up, the Democrat Party, is more popular, according to the first analysis of the upcoming election by the Nation Group.

Nation Group will analyze and evaluate the electoral battle weekly until polling day, based on previous analysis, databases and current political factors, and publish its conclusions every Monday.

Although People Power will win the majority of seats, it will be much less than Thai Rak Thai won in the 2005 election - 377 of a total 500 constituency and party list members.

This election there are 400 constituency seats up for grabs and 80 party-list members will be elected according to the proportion of total votes won by their parties.

People Power, widely viewed as a reinvention of Thai Rak Thai, will maintain that party's strong hold on the North, but half the seats in the Northeast will fall to new parties Puea Pandin and Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana. In the last election, Thai Rak Thai won 126 Northeast seats.

People Power will win fewer seats in Bangkok than Thai Rak Thai did in the last election - 14 compared to 32.

The Democrats are expected to take 128 seats. The party will claim 51 seats in the South from a total of 56. It will take another eight of the 10 available proportionally elected House spots.

Overall, the Democrats will do better than in 2005, when they won 96 out of the 500 seats.

Democrat and People Power candidates are involved in neck-and-neck races in many constituencies in the North and Bangkok.

The Democrats will take 18 seats in the capital, up from four in 2005.

Chart Thai looks set to win 63 seats, up from 25 last time.

Puea Pandin is on target to win 45 seats, while Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana should bag 23. The Matchima Thipataya looks on course for 22 seats.

Pracharaj Party should be a surprise with nine seats.

- The Nation

In the past week I have read everything from 140 to 300 seats for PPP and 120 to 180 for the Dems. One wonders if anyone really knows. Do the Nation really think PPP will win 190 constituency seats plus 40 odd list seats or are they tryign to scare the authorities into beleiving a PPP win is inevitable to get a harder reaction before the elction. Too many games right now. We will not know until Dec 23 late night or even later.

I think you have to agree the position the courts have taken is to walk the straight and narrow path, particularly so as this issue is directly tied to chats at the palace. You suggest Justice is peeking out from under her blindfold to consider potential fallout. The EC has thrown in right back in the laps of the constitutional tribunal should club 111 want to challenge.

I can say that if the remaining PPP can function within the bounds of reality they may have a chance, but you and I both know there is some rewiring going on as we speak hiding all the wires to club 111. Their achilleas heal will be trying to explain the cash inflow and that too can get them a red card if I recall correctly.

There are plenty of mines in the road ahead for the PPP/TRT, and each one makes sense to keep the elections fair. I doubt the general public and other countries would look down at that given the choice to work with a less corrupt government.

Ask yourself how many of the (for lack of a better word) stupid business laws are in place that make doing business in Thailand difficult. Does that not suggest that if you were a business wanting to set up in Thailand, by handing tea money to some corrupt official in the government, problems would tend to suddenly disappear. I think once that tea money thing goes away and the laws become more friendly companies will want to set up in Thailand and not have to worry about regular tea money contributions.

Maybe Abhisit is worried at the prospect of a PPP dissolution. Obviously it would help his party but leave the country divided even more and internationally seen as joke.

If the PPP is ultimately dissolved itself as being nothing more than a proxy for a disbanded TRT, why do you think the election would be seen as a sham internationally?

The international community at the time of the TRT dissolution didn't raise a big stink, which I thought was a tribute to the diligent and well thought rendering from the Constitutional Court. Is it such a stretch that if it is pointed out to them what the PPP has been up to, that they would accept the same dissolution that befell the TRT without viewing the whole process as a sham?

The PPP whether I or you like it or not does represent the voice of a significant minority at least and maybe even a majority of those who will vote. Quite how big this group is we will see after the election. To take the entire PPP out would be to disenfranchise this large group of the electorate. The outside world is not stupid. To disenfrachise a large proportion of the country is not just about politcal meddling which quite honestly the west probably doesnt care about, but it can have impacts upon perceived or real national stability and investment sentiment. The west does have many companies wanting to invest here or with already announced plans these groups which are influential in their own countries and who will not want to see a sham election. Remember too the satement after the April 2 election, which gives pause for thought on how Thai people see an election being democratic or otherwise.

All this does not put the Junta in the strongest of positions. The PPP can quite likely break a bunch of EC rules because disolution is such a dangerous option. Of course taking out a group of individuals or having the whole decision tied up in courts may be better for them. The Junta will be thinking long and hard about how they can see an election in which the monied up, well organised, cocky, arrogant, obnoxious and confident PPP packed full of nigh on impossible candidates to beat actually lose to a fractious group of new parties combined with a couple with longer histories. However, imho the disolution card can only be played as a last resort. There is also the compication that many of the new parties have very significant advisors that are in the 111 club and who have to date been as active as the PPP ones in many cases. The Junta is relying on these new parties. Setting any precedent on breaking electoral rules against PPP could result in counter accusations against new parties. It could get very messy. In fact a clear cut decision by the relevent and final court is probably needed in the next few days considering the EC are only willing to give an opinion. Whether this is possible who knows but persoanlly I fully expect the next month or so to get no better.

I think a lot hinges on the interpretation of the EC ruling barring the 111 Friendship Group. If the other parties with them distance themselves from these members, but PPP continues to be the sole user of these banned politicians, it could set up a justifiable reason for the PPP dissolution. You are right in that ex-TRT'ers have been involved in almost all the parties, but it seems that since the ruling, that PPP is the only one interested in defying it. If there is some sort of deadline of this ruling is established, then it could be used as... "Ok, from this date forward, anyone violating it is subject to dissolution and banning." Sort of like the TRT dissolution case, wherein those that bailed out of TRT early enough, like Sanoh and Korn, were not banned.

If the PPP is dissolved for gross violations that can reasonably be shown that they were nothing more than the dissolved TRT with new packaging, I don't think there will be a huge international outrage. Conversely, if it can actually show that Thailand is determined in its efforts to rid itself of the type of electoral fraud that got TRT dissolved in the first place and could even show Thailand in a good light in that regard.

A lot depends on what actions are taken by the PPP, the EC, and the Courts (if they choose to get involved) over the next week.

Looks like the Pua Paendin (For the Motherland) Party Chairman showed up afterall...and points to Thaksin as a cause of his charges...

Vatana pleads not guilty

Former Deputy Interior Minister Vatana Asavahame Tuesday pleaded not guilty to corruption charges related to his involvement in land speculation in connection with the construction of a waste treatment plant in Samut Prakan.

"I am innocent and my case is a frame-up done by the man who has been punished by his bad karma to live in exile," he said in reference to former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Vatana spoke following his arraignment hearing at the Supreme Court's Criminal Tribunal for Political Office Holders.

Public prosecutors contend that Vatana was involved in a scam to inflate land prices before selling the plots for the waste treatment construction. The alleged wrongdoing happened when he held office in charge of supervising the Land Department.

- The Nation

Meanwhile, the Pua Paendin (For the Motherland) Party Chairman is in the news again on another matter:

New private port for Golden Triangle

A business consortium plans to open a private commercial port on the banks of the Mekong river near the Golden Triangle in Chiang Rai's Chiang Saen district by the end of next month. Lan Chang commercial port is built on 83 rai of land owned by MP World Trading, run by veteran politician Vatana Asavahame. It made an initial investment of about 30 million baht for the first three years and after that the investment money in the next phases of development is expected to rise by as much as 600 million baht.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/19Nov2007_news04.php

It's a long way from his base in Samut Prakan.

Another group in favor of the EC ruling....

Pibhop: PPP looking for conflict

The People Power Party (PPP) is creating a pretext for confrontation by running a pro-Thaksin election campaign, according to Pibhop Dhongchai, adviser to the Campaign for Popular Democracy (CPD). He said the PPP campaign appeared to have a hidden agenda. The party repeatedly insisted that if elected to government it would bring back the ousted PM to fight corruption charges in court. But the PPP has not said if it would accept the court ruling, which may not be in Thaksin's favor. CPD Secretary-General Suriyasai Katasila slammed the PPP for making Thaksin, who is a criminal suspect, its campaign selling point. ''All these efforts are made so people will not forget Thaksin. If national reconciliation goes ahead, Thaksin's name will just be history, meaningless,'' Suriyasai said. The PPP was simply ''day-dreaming'' when it asserted that its touted poll candidate Chalerm Yubamrung :D would become Interior Minister if the party was elected to government, he said. :o:D The PPP's opponents would likely take to the streets if the party made it to Government House. Suriyasai said the CPD fully supported the EC's ban on the 111 former TRT executives being involved in political activities. The former ruling party was dissolved for committing electoral fraud and its executives were banned from politics for five years. Many former TRT members are now with the PPP. He said the ban was justifiable as it was intended to bring order to politics.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/19Nov2007_news12.php

Edited by sriracha john

I think a lot hinges on the interpretation of the EC ruling barring the 111 Friendship Group. If the other parties with them distance themselves from these members, but PPP continues to be the sole user of these banned politicians, it could set up a justifiable reason for the PPP dissolution. You are right in that ex-TRT'ers have been involved in almost all the parties, but it seems that since the ruling, that PPP is the only one interested in defying it. If there is some sort of deadline of this ruling is established, then it could be used as... "Ok, from this date forward, anyone violating it is subject to dissolution and banning." Sort of like the TRT dissolution case, wherein those that bailed out of TRT early enough, like Sanoh and Korn, were not banned.

If the PPP is dissolved for gross violations that can reasonably be shown that they were nothing more than the dissolved TRT with new packaging, I don't think there will be a huge international outrage. Conversely, if it can actually show that Thailand is determined in its efforts to rid itself of the type of electoral fraud that got TRT dissolved in the first place and could even show Thailand in a good light in that regard.

A lot depends on what actions are taken by the PPP, the EC, and the Courts (if they choose to get involved) over the next week.

SJ, I think you are making a very valid point here except for wanting to see a clear date or line in the sand if you would. In this case a long period of time is not needed to comply with the ruling, not like a company that may need to make several changes and could take months to complete. I think 48 to 72 hours is plenty of time to pick up a pen and write I resign on a piece of paper and hand it to Samak. The delay and foot dragging game works against them here. For sure if it drags on for a week it could clearly be seen as a deliberate violation.

As stated earlier, it seems like the educated ones are the ones that learned from their experience that, "A stove is hot, Don't touch"...

Surakiart and Suranan resign from Puea Pandin Party

Former Thai Rak Thai executives Surakiart Sathirathai and Suranan Vejjajiva Monday announced their resignations from all posts in the Puea Pandin Party.

Surakiart said he decided to resign as Chief Academic Advisor and Chairman of the Policy Council after the Election Commission ruled that the 111 former Thai Rak Thai executives could not hold advisory positions in any political party.

Suranan said he resigned as Chairman of the Party's Election Coordination Committee following the EC ruling.

- The Nation

As stated earlier, it seems like the educated ones are the ones that learned from their experience that, "A stove is hot, Don't touch"...

Surakiart and Suranan resign from Puea Pandin Party

Former Thai Rak Thai executives Surakiart Sathirathai and Suranan Vejjajiva Monday announced their resignations from all posts in the Puea Pandin Party.

Surakiart said he decided to resign as Chief Academic Advisor and Chairman of the Policy Council after the Election Commission ruled that the 111 former Thai Rak Thai executives could not hold advisory positions in any political party.

Suranan said he resigned as Chairman of the Party's Election Coordination Committee following the EC ruling.

- The Nation

That could well be setting the standard that PPP have to follow, or it could just be that Puea Pandin have a better idea of what is coming down the line. Very interesting times.

From the simplified Western point of view PPP does represent the majority, but on the closer look it represents the ousted premier, nothing more.

They CAN represent the people without holding on Thaksin's legacy. They CAN run in the election without banned politicians. They have their own leader, own executive board, own candidates, own policies. The only reason they are so fixed on Thaksin is the money. Which means they can't claim to represent the people.

For the sake of stability Thaksin should be consigned to history, but not many people realise this yet. 80% think that the next government won't survive the full term. Fair enough, but where this danger is coming from? I can't see any other source than Thaksin stirring up the trouble through the likes of PPP. Thai politics would be a lot less confrontational without him in the picture.

I hope these elections would show his followers that the resistance is futile. Time to move on, for the sake of the country, the very people they claim to represent.

There's absolutely no way to turn the clock back to 2005, to continue TRT dream, even if they win the elections.

Two former TRT executives resign as advisors of For the Motherland

Two former executives of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party, Suranand Vejjajiva (สุรนันทน์ เวชชาชีวะ) and Surakiat Sathirathai (สุรเกียรติ์ เสถียรไทย), resign as advisors of the For the Motherland Party, saying that he does not want to cause trouble to the party’s election campaign.

However, Mr Suranand says he will not accept any posts in the party but is happy to provide assistance for members of the parliament.

Mr Suranand adds that the former TRT executives who are banned from politics for five years have the basic right in line with democracy to speak and think about politics.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 November 2007

People Power supports 111 former Thai Rak Thai executives to charge EC.

People Power Party secretary-general Surapong Suebwonglee (สุรพงษ์ สืบวงศ์ลี) agrees with former Thai Rak Thai Party acting leader Chaturon Chaisang (จาตุรนต์ ฉายแสง)’s plan to file a lawsuit against the Election Commission (EC) of Thailand after issuing a regulation prohibiting 111 former Thai Rak Thai executives from taking part in all political activities, as Mr. Chaturon is one of them.

Dr. Surapong sees that the former Thai Rak Thai executives have the rights to hold meetings as they are unrelated to other political parties. He also says the People Power Party does not only criticize the authority as Mr. Chaturon claimed previously. He says his party is working in accordance with its policies while trying to clarify various issues.

Today (November 19th), the People Party is scheduled to hold a meeting with its Member of Parliament (MP) candidates at its head office.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 November 2007

People Power supports 111 former Thai Rak Thai executives to charge EC.

People Power Party secretary-general Surapong Suebwonglee (สุรพงษ์ สืบวงศ์ลี) agrees with former Thai Rak Thai Party acting leader Chaturon Chaisang (จาตุรนต์ ฉายแสง)’s plan to file a lawsuit against the Election Commission (EC) of Thailand after issuing a regulation prohibiting 111 former Thai Rak Thai executives from taking part in all political activities, as Mr. Chaturon is one of them.

Dr. Surapong sees that the former Thai Rak Thai executives have the rights to hold meetings as they are unrelated to other political parties. He also says the People Power Party does not only criticize the authority as Mr. Chaturon claimed previously. He says his party is working in accordance with its policies while trying to clarify various issues.

Today (November 19th), the People Party is scheduled to hold a meeting with its Member of Parliament (MP) candidates at its head office.

So totally predictable from this bunch. I guess this will be the prelude to having rallies.

Is it just me or are there striking similarities to a two year old temper tantrum brewing here.

Prachai makes big promises to city voters

The Matchima Thipataya Party kicked off its election campaign in Bangkok yesterday with a host of lofty promises to build a comprehensive welfare state and make people rich. Leader Prachai Leophairatana led a team of party candidates for Bangkok in his first campaign address in Bangkok, drawing about 200 onlookers. The party highlighted comprehensive economic policies including turning the country into a welfare state with free health care for all and free education up to university level. Elderly people would be given 1,500 baht a month in welfare payments, state officials would enjoy a 5,000-baht salary hike each and prices of agricultural goods would be guaranteed if the party won enough votes to form a government. Prachai said his party had a policy to reduce oil prices by halting current contributions to the State Oil Fund. He also promised to construct 10 Skytrain routes in Bangkok within four years with a 15-baht flat rate fare as well as improve the country's rail network.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/16Nov2007_news08.php

==========================================================

and the Matchima Thipataya Party keeps right on rolling for the country folk as well....

Among the interesting platforms on offer are the Matchima Thipataya Party's promotion of cattle raising. A million specially bred cows, the proposal goes, will be treated to radio music and constant massaging (after munching on specially prepared foods). Hopefully, this will result in juicy meat that will eventually be sold for 5,000 baht a kilo like the famous Kobe meat. Another idea is to boost cock-fighting to become the ''national sport''. The chicken-athletes will be required to ''wear boxing gloves'', and with the fighting rules in compliance with ''professional boxing matches'', should thus be able to enter the ring again and again. (That certainly fits in with the por piang philosophy!) Other animals to be promoted are indigenous dogs, cats, doves, cows and buffaloes, and decorative fish. How about making a hundred thousand baht from selling giant Pla Thong?

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/16Nov2007_news20.php

More odd pledges from someone who's strangely touted as some sort of economic guru.... despite his status as Thailand's biggest bankruptcy filer...

Prachai pledges 15 per cent growth rate

Matchima Thipataya Party Leader Prachai Leophairatana promised on Monday to issued 1 Trillion Baht treasury bonds to finance his mega-projects in order to boost the economic growth to 15 per cent from around four per cent within one year.

"I will improve the business climate by inducing the GDP to grow 15 per cent with domestic investment of 1 Trillion Baht," he said.

- The Nation

From 4% one year to 15% the next? :o ....yeah right.... ok.... sure....

Edited by sriracha john

As predicted a few posts back, here come the rallies meant to divide the country and cry "It's not Fair."

BAN ON TRT EXECS

Vow to fight EC's ruling Chaturon to petition rights body, claims ban exceeds court order

Some of the 111 banned Thai Rak Thai Party executives who now advise the People Power Party (PPP) yesterday vowed to petition local and international human rights groups after being stopped from joining the election campaign.

They insisted yesterday they would carry on with separate rallies not be run by PPP.

Chaturon Chaisang, one of the 111 and a PPP adviser, said some of the banned executives would ask the National Human Rights Commission to look into the Election Commission's prohibition, which they claim oppressed their freedom and individual rights.

The EC last Friday used the Election Commission Act to rule against the 111 making speeches and engaging in other campaign activities.

Two other banned TRT executives, Adisorn Piengket and Sutham Sangprathum, today will file a petition with the National Human Rights Commission. Chaturon believed the EC had violated the Consti-tution Tribunal's ruling that only banned those executives from assuming political posts for five years.

As the EC had not issued a written regulation to back its prohibition, the executives would not enable to ask the court to rule on the controversy, he said.

Chaturon said he would defy the ban and continue his role in the election campaign. He and his faction would stage rallies at Chatuchak Park on Friday and in the Pak Chong district of Nakhon Ratchasima on November 27.

Sutham said he would send a petition to the London-based Amnesty International in a bid to pressure the EC to overturn its decision.

Boontan Tansuthep-veeravong, director of Amnesty International (AI) Thailand, said he would have to look at details of the petition first before deciding what to do. He said AI tried to avoid getting involved in sensitive issues related to politics.

EC member Somchai Juengprasert warned Chaturon's plan to launch separate rallies could violate the EC's ruling if they were found to benefit PPP.

He said the banned former executives may not be doubly penalised, but the candidates and political parties might have to suffer the result.

If the parties or candidates do not stop the former executives from helping them in the campaigns, others might file complaints that the parties are in favour of breaking the law, he said.

Candidates might have their voting rights revoked and the parties might have to face to dissolution if they allowed conduct that led to an unfair election, he said.

In the meantime, Puea Pandin adviser Preecha Laoha-pongchana said his party would ask the EC to clarify its ruling.

"Political participation is a basic right of every Thai citizen, hence any legal interpretation to curb this right should not be applied," he said.

Preecha said he and his three colleagues, Surakiart Sathirathai, Pinij Charusombat and Suranand Vejjajiva were among the 111 banned Thai Rak Thai Party executives who were not involved in the campaign beyond advising their new party.

"The party can choose either to heed our advice or ignore it," he said, voicing disagreement to an EC opinion that banned executives could not be appointed as strategic advisers with duties overlapping those of existing party executives.

Surakiart and Suranand resigned their positions late yesterday in order to comply with the new guidelines, but Preecha said the EC should hand down a second opinion before deciding his next move.

Preecha said he wanted the clarification from the EC, instead of opting for a judicial review by the Constitution Tribunal - which would be lengthy.

Chart Thai Party's advisers Paveena Hongsakul and Sontha-ya Khunplome, who are among the 111 executives, also quit yesterday following the EC's ruling.

Meanwhile, anti-coup activists Jaran Ditha-apichai and Somyos Prueksakasemsuk protested in front of the EC headquarters, asking the commission to overturn its ban on the 111 executives. They alleged it violated the constitution and basic rights of Thai citizens.

The Nation

Meanwhile, anti-coup activists Jaran Ditha-apichai and Somyos Prueksakasemsuk protested in front of the EC headquarters, asking the commission to overturn its ban on the 111 executives.

Perhaps if Jaran hadn't been fired from the National Human Rights Commission for helping to instigate a urban riot that resulted in numerous injuries, he might be in a position to appeal to the National Human Rights Commission regarding this "rights" issue:

Borrowed from the thread about the TRT/PTV/UDDT group that trampled on human rights:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1560191

Detained nine anti-coup leaders to be taken to court at 4pm

Security has been tightened at Samsen police station and the Criminal Court on Friday as police make their ways through a thick crowd to get to the nine anti-coup leaders to transfer them from the station to the court.

The nine leaders were placed under police custody on Thursday night. They had led a mass anti-coup protest that turned violent, leaving more than 100, mostly authorities, in front of Privy Councillor President Gen Prem Tinsulanond on July 22.

The nine in custody were Veera Musi-gapong, Jatuporn Phromphan, Jakrapob Penkair, Natthawut Saikua, Weng Tojirakarn, Wi-putalaeng Patanapumithai, Manit Jitchanklab, Apiwan Wiriyachai and Jaran Dittha-apichai.

Police have charged them with instigating violence and the assembling of more than 10 people with intent to disturb the peace.

UPDATE.... Jaran has been fired from his day job

NLA votes to expel Jaran from NHRC

The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) yesterday expelled Jaran Ditapichai from the National Human Rights Commission for his role in the July 22 anti-government protest. The fate of Jaran was decided in a closed-door meeting of the NLA. There were 156 votes to oust him from the human rights body. Only one legislator opposed and three abstained. Wallop Tangkhananurak said the decision took effect immediately. The panel earlier conducted a fact-finding investigation into Jaran's leadership in the UDDT and produced two reports based on its findings. He was accused of improper conduct and lacking neutrality after he and other UDDT leaders were charged with instigating unrest in an anti-government demonstration they led on July 22 in the Si Sao Thewes area.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/27Sep2007_news10.php

Edited by sriracha john

I was just thinking the whole rally/protest thing may backfire on club 111. It would not be too much of a stretch to see they may actually be protesting against the Constitutional Tribunal’s ruling that dissolved the TRT and banned the 111 from politics and political activities. If that is the case they may be in contempt of court. The Constitutional Tribunal made it very clear not to criticize the court.

Nope, no criticism of the court rulings (yet, anyway); instead, they're going to appeal to the exact same group that fired one of the appellants for spurring on thugs in street fights... :o

Banned TRT executives to petition rights agencies

Some of the 111 former TRT executives banned from politics have decided to petition human rights agencies, instead of the Constitution Court, against the Election Commission's guidelines restricting their participation in election campaigning. The group, led by former acting TRT leader Chaturon Chaisaeng, will today lodge a complaint with the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) and Amnesty International Thailand. Chaturon said he discussed the matter with seven other former TRT executives and they agreed the guidelines were in violation of their constitutional rights to freedom of expression. His group would also brief Amnesty International Thailand on the matter to draw attention from international organisations, he said. Chaturon said his group would continue to hold political gatherings.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/20Nov2007_news03.php

===============================================

But, by the last sentence, they do plan to push the envelope....

Edited by sriracha john

I wonder if they already figured out their batting average has been less than stellar from May onward. Going to the courts they most certainly would be shot down.

“Err Umm.. That’s not what we wanted you to say.... let me rephrase the question.”

Actually it seems this is like just noise making for the sake of making noise. I don’t see their freedom of speech has been hindered, they just can’t do it in the capacity of a politician. There are plenty of former politicians that make their opinion known in a personal capacity. The rights group(s) that they are appealing to have zero pull except to be a platform. If they had pull you would never see them in the news as they would simply get the job done and not complain.

It certainly make you wonder what deals were cut that they now can’t take part in. Club 111 is quickly becoming a humorous annoyance.

Minister disagrees with TRT's petition

(BangkokPost.com) - Prime Minister's Office Minister Thirapat Serirangsan said he disagreed with some of the 111 former Thai Rak Thai (TRT) executives - banned from politics for five years - for deciding to petition human rights agencies after the Election Commission (EC) prohibited them from taking part in the election campaign.

Mr Thirapat said the election is a local matter, thus lodging a complaint with international agencies is irrelevant. However, he said this could be done.

He also expressed confidence that the move by the banned politicians will not put Thailand's election in a negative light, adding that the EC's guidelines do not benefit the Democrat party, a rival of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai group.

The minister called on political parties to stand on their own feet and not rely on banned politicians to help campaign in the election.

More here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=123762

NHRC to probe the campaign prohibition for 111 banned executives

The Nation Human Rights Commission will likely look into the basic rights of 111 banned party executives after receiving a petition, NHRC chairman Saneh Chamrik said on Tuesday.

"If petitioned, the NHRC is obliged to conduct a review after checking whether the compliant is under a judicial review or relating to a verdict," he said.

Saneh spoke in reaction to news reports that banned executive Chaturon Chaisang was planning to petition the NHRC to review the Friday's ruling by the Election Commission to prohibit banned executives from campaign activities.

A first step in the NHRC investigation will involve a factfinding mission in order to determine the cause for suspicion of any human rights violations, he said. To gather evidence, the NHRC might have to ask for the five election commissioners to testify, he added.

Another banned executive Sutham Saengpratoom said he would on Friday organise a rally to oppose the EC's ruling at Lumpini Park.

The Nation

I would think theNHRC would want to stay a country mile away from this. It can only damage their image as this is so closely tied to Thai politics. If I were to guess they will play the safe card and say it is tied to a court verdict. Looking at how club 111 has been acting most certainly that is the safe card.