Cheap houses in Chiang Mai

parafareno

I see many cheap houses in San Sai or Doi Saket. Is that far from Chiang Mai?

Under 2 milion you get a nice detached house. 

How much costs are with having company so you can buy a house...Per year how much does it cost?

Houses here are much cheaper than Pattaya

Spending 2 million and outside of the metro area might as well just have one built to your specifications.

Lots of steel as it gets a little shaky up there now and then, poor constructions, and they seem the crack

8 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Yesterday you were asking about transferring funds from your mum to buy a condo, what happened, changed your mind along with the location? May I respectfully suggest that before you decide what you want to buy that you actually visit the place first and spend at least 6 months, that way you will be able to decide first hand for yourself. 

just thinking about options....seems houses are way cheaper than in pattaya

i stayed in pattaya total 6 months, but never been in CM...i know there is more polution in CM, which is a big problem

19 minutes ago, parafareno said:

just thinking about options....seems houses are way cheaper than in pattaya

i stayed in pattaya total 6 months, but never been in CM...i know there is more polution in CM, which is a big problem

Why buy? Hotels are 300 baht a night. Rentals are 5000 baht up. I know a nice place old city 7500 baht a month. I could live there.

How come you spent 6 months in Pattaya?

Spend 3 months traveling. Pick the best town live there.

No need to buy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

stay in each one for 6 months, do not make a decision to live anywhere

I know after 2 days if i like the town. After 2 weeks know the whole town inner area. Simply walk around.

6 months in each town would take him 10 years to visit 20.

You can cover 20 places in 3 months. Pick the top 2 spend a month see how it goes.

If you like beaches fly to Krabi. If mountains Chiang Mai. There is 2 good starting points.

If you don't speak Thai and it sounds like you don't those places are good options. Both have international airports. Both great countryside.

Mix of west and east.

4 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Yes, there is a reason why Chiang Mai houses are cheaper than Pattaya.

June to November when it is wet season is beautiful in Chiang Mai.

Last year one day in March, Chiang Mai was the most polluted city on the planet.

Suggest you try living there from December to April before you consider buying any property there.

Rent. CM june to December. Krabi Jan to May.

Thats what i would do if him.

• Like 2

I'm literally hearing a "house" being built now, bang, bang, and I asked the owner of this hotel how much it might cost to build....she said maybe 300,000.

It is like a container shed, maybe 2 floors, your basic "house" built in a few weeks.   Looks like it will be good if you want to visit a "house sauna"

I admit, it has a "roof"  (typical metal stuff) and plumbing and electricity and blah blah blah...

But I really do think a $400k house is about 10x better than a $200k house in Thailand.  A $100k house in Thailand will allow you to survive .... but I'd still rather rent a nicer place.   

Chiang Mai will eventually go back to all chinese and the pollution issue will never go away.  This "house" will be a prison for six months, impossible to sell.    not advised to buy anything in Thailand.  not now.  

Edited by Iamfalang

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Where do you live?

Is this a test or a quiz!

Your suggestion to rent in CM June/December and Krabi for the rest of the time is very sensible, I also would strongly recommend that. Most young guys who come here head for the tourist destinations because that's where they can find the things they think they want and where they can get by without learning Thai. Then they meet Ms. Right, probably only after meeting a few Ms Wrongs first and she introduces them to her Thailand, which he discovers is not a bit like Pattaya and some of the pieces start to fall into places, isn't it cheap he he will say. The guys who have been here a few years will know the rest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iamfalang said:

I'm hearing a "house" being built now, asked the owner of this hotel....she said maybe 300,000.

It is like a container shed, maybe 2 floors, your basic "house" built in a few weeks.   Looks like it will be good if you want to visit a "house sauna"

I admit, it's a "roof"  (typical metal stuff) and plumbing and electricity and blah blah blah...

But I really do think a $400k house is about 10x better than a $200k house in Thailand.  A $100k house in Thailand will allow you to survive .... but I'd still rather rent a nicer place.   

Chiang Mai will eventually go back to all chinese and the pollution issue will never go away.  This "house" will be a prison for six months, impossible to sell.    not advised to buy anything in Thailand.  not now.  

A good point. A house to a farang in Thailand is like owning a puppy, it's for life! Trying to sell may literally be impossible, at least within any timescales that the farang think are reasonable. New build costs have been broadly flat for the last decade or more plus the price of land hasn't changed much at all (near me). OK so steel will have increased because of the pandemic/supply chain issues and some other prices also, but the market is very very different from what most will have known in the West.

25 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Why buy? Hotels are 300 baht a night. Rentals are 5000 baht up. I know a nice place old city 7500 baht a month. I could live there.

How come you spent 6 months in Pattaya?

Spend 3 months traveling. Pick the best town live there.

No need to buy.

I have a friend who will be here soon looking for a rental... pm me w/details if available... sounds reasonable. 

10 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Is this a test or a quiz!

Your suggestion to rent in CM June/December and Krabi for the rest of the time is very sensible, I also would strongly recommend that. Most young guys who come here head for the tourist destinations because that's where they can find the things they think they want and where they can get by without learning Thai. Then they meet Ms. Right, probably only after meeting a few Ms Wrongs first and she introduces them to her Thailand, which he discovers is not a bit like Pattaya and some of the pieces start to fall into places, isn't it cheap he he will say. The guys who have been here a few years will know the rest.

Ive been to 50 thai towns. CM and Krabi are good options. Both cheap enough, western stuff if u want, airports, scenary.

I could live in Nakhon Nowhere but i speak Thai. Most newbies couldnt last in NN. Too much of a culture shock if you cannot speak Thai.

28 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Suggest you try living there from December to April before you consider buying any property there.

No problems at all this year, apart from being a bit wet (currently places near the river are underwater).

Plenty of places around for 1-2Mbht.

Lots of 2 bed houses for rent at 5-7kbht.

Better to rent IMHO.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Ive been to 50 thai towns. CM and Krabi are good options. Both cheap enough, western stuff if u want, airports, scenary.

I could live in Nakhon Nowhere but i speak Thai. Most newbies couldnt last in NN. Too much of a culture shock if you cannot speak Thai.

In my next life I might chose Phitsanulok, I went there for the first time this year and I was wowed. The town has everything, an outstanding university, great scenery nearby, equi distance between North and South hence convenient access to other parts of Thailand. It took me 25 years to find the place, goodness only knows what other places exist that I haven't seen yet. I almost certainly would not chose the places you mention because they are all so commercialized and westernized in so many ways, they were great 10/15 years ago but not today.

3 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i have a limited time....i can spend 6 months per year in thailand and I choose october - april....so 6 months to avoid winter....

Krabi is nothing special....nice beaches....but i prefer pattaya, more nightlife....malls etc....

Sorry, that's not Thailand, it's a western enclave in Thailand.