Cheap houses in Chiang Mai

parafareno

I bought the house I am sitting in right now during covid lockdowns.  It is a little rendered brick split level detached house on a block with full red Chanote title.  It is in a little no through soi that is lined with flowers.  My neighbors on both sides are elderly and very respectful and quiet. Jungle across the street in front of the house.  Huge ornate plant nusery out the back with distant view to the mountains.  No flooding or drainage issues.  Newly laid cement road for our soi just before I bought the house. Town water is very good pressure and very clean as comes from a huge nearby lake that is surrounded by jungle not development.  Very stable electrical supply.  In the last 18 months only had one or two extended blackouts (not more than an hour).  I have extended out the back to add an outdoor kitchen, and a second bathroom and an attrium that sits over the top of the septic and greywater tanks which I dug out and replaced.

I am about three minutes from a stunning west coast beach.  There is an estuary nearby that runs out into the sea.  I have my fishing boats parked there.

The surrounding villagers are tight knit and about 60/40 muslim to buddist.

I paid 270K baht for the house with the Vendor also paying all of the taxes and transfer costs on the sale.  The property is in my long term GFs name and I have a life usufruct in my name stamped on the back (that cost 75 baht at the land office).

Edited by Adumbration
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is very cheap ,US$ 9000 

Very.  The owner was a wealthy Thai business man with prawn farms and other businesses loosely connected to tourism.  He had a cash flow crisis at the start of the lockdowns and needed to sell.  I low balled him and he accepted.  One of the best things to ever happen for me.  I speak fluent Thai and learned about the property from (one of my now neighbors) who was selling fish at the market.

Edited by Adumbration

On 10/4/2022 at 3:33 AM, parafareno said:

just thinking about options....seems houses are way cheaper than in pattaya

i stayed in pattaya total 6 months, but never been in CM...i know there is more polution in CM, which is a big problem

It is not a big problem. We have had really no air pollution the last few years. Last year only a couple of weeks were bad. The rest of the year it's clean air.

But now there is flooding! 

Please visit somewhere before you buy, to get your information right. 

2 months ago I bought this for 750,000 Baht. I already changed all windows, redesigned/demolished/built indoor walls, new ceilings, new floors, new bathrooms, new kitchen etc. I think I put another 300,000 Baht in renovations into it to put it up to European standards. About to move in. So about 1,1M + about another 100,000 Baht in the future to make garden/carport etc. I'm going to live there full time, but in the future I think I will also buy some 1M - 2M apartment somewhere near beach and will live 50/50 Isaan and beach.

1.thumb.png.b212d7c369e3128c155cb500bc65ad5b.png

2.png.ed5a539d13cf98a696fbf10c1a501a5c.png

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

My neighbors on both sides are elderly and very respectful and quiet.

And when the elderly neighbors pass, will the kids/grandkids be very respectful and quiet. Or will they move in there with their 4 kids, loud scooters, drug dance parties, or use it as a pig farm storage facility? 

17 minutes ago, FrederikKitten said:

2 months ago I bought this for 750,000 Baht. I already changed all windows, redesigned/demolished/built indoor walls, new ceilings, new floors, new bathrooms, new kitchen etc. I think I put another 300,000 Baht in renovations into it to put it up to European standards. About to move in. So about 1,1M + about another 100,000 Baht in the future to make garden/carport etc. I'm going to live there full time, but in the future I think I will also buy some 1M - 2M apartment somewhere near beach and will live 50/50 Isaan and beach.

1.thumb.png.b212d7c369e3128c155cb500bc65ad5b.png

2.png.ed5a539d13cf98a696fbf10c1a501a5c.png

Looks like a nice block.  Is it a dirt road?  Also how much is the land value.  I could build that house for circa 350K.

10 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

And when the elderly neighbors pass, will the kids/grandkids be very respectful and quiet. Or will they move in there with their 4 kids, loud scooters, drug dance parties, or use it as a pig farm storage facility? 

No space for pig farms....and they are muslim.  Kids visit regularly.  No dramas at all.  The neighbors are actually more fearful that I will have kids with my GF and they will have to deal with a crying baby.  Future is never certain in Thailand.  That is why I am happy my house is so cheap.  I can walk out the door tomorrow and still be ahead in terms of saved rent (and I have only been here 18 or so months.)

We are very close to a beautiful beach that has lots of pine trees and a parking area.  If kids want to make noise they go down there to party.  In fact it is deathly quiet here every night come 8 or 9 pm.  All of my neighbors are up at dawn to pray.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Booking.com doesnt do monthly rates 5555

You cant type in 30x 1 night

You can , type in enter date and leave date being one month apart .  

Maybe they do special monthly rates and they are typically between 10 nights and 15 nights (cost) for the stay of one month .

The hotel in question charges 1200 Baht per night , so their monthly charges would be about , between 12 000 /18 000 Baht per month .

No way would that resort be 2500 per month , more likely 25 000 per month , unless he got a discount on the condition that he publicised  the place on his YouTube page  ? 

16 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You can , type in enter date and leave date being one month apart .  

Maybe they do special monthly rates and they are typically between 10 nights and 15 nights (cost) for the stay of one month .

The hotel in question charges 1200 Baht per night , so their monthly charges would be about , between 12 000 /18 000 Baht per month .

No way would that resort be 2500 per month , more likely 25 000 per month , unless he got a discount on the condition that he publicised  the place on his YouTube page  ? 

He says he got a covid rate in the video!

Anyway CM does have 7500 baht ghs in old city monthly.

If people like hipsters and khao soi thats a good deal.

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

I bought the house I am sitting in right now during covid lockdowns.  It is a little rendered brick split level detached house on a block with full red Chanote title.  It is in a little no through soi that is lined with flowers.  My neighbors on both sides are elderly and very respectful and quiet. Jungle across the street in front of the house.  Huge ornate plant nusery out the back with distant view to the mountains.  No flooding or drainage issues.  Newly laid cement road for our soi just before I bought the house. Town water is very good pressure and very clean as comes from a huge nearby lake that is surrounded by jungle not development.  Very stable electrical supply.  In the last 18 months only had one or two extended blackouts (not more than an hour).  I have extended out the back to add an outdoor kitchen, and a second bathroom and an attrium that sits over the top of the septic and greywater tanks which I dug out and replaced.

I am about three minutes from a stunning west coast beach.  There is an estuary nearby that runs out into the sea.  I have my fishing boats parked there.

The surrounding villagers are tight knit and about 60/40 muslim to buddist.

I paid 270K baht for the house with the Vendor also paying all of the taxes and transfer costs on the sale.  The property is in my long term GFs name and I have a life usufruct in my name stamped on the back (that cost 75 baht at the land office).

when did you buy tht house? 20 years ago for such a price?

31 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Looks like a nice block.  Is it a dirt road?  Also how much is the land value.  I could build that house for circa 350K.

No, concrete road. With water, electric and optic internet.

I think you could built the walls, roof etc for 350K. But not the entire house. Lets speak just ceramic tiles - floors 40,000 bath, 2 bathrooms 20,000 Baht, kitchen 20,000 Baht (excluding work!). Not even talking stuff like shower heads, toilets, sinks .... . 

1 minute ago, FrederikKitten said:

I think you could built the walls, roof etc for 350K. But not the entire house. Lets speak just ceramic tiles - floors 40,000 bath, 2 bathrooms 20,000 Baht, kitchen 20,000 Baht (excluding work!). Not even talking stuff like shower heads, toilets, sinks .... . 

so if I have 500k budget, is that enought for a decent house? Wait are you talking 500000 BHT or USD? 

And do via company? I would really do that immediately....rather than splurgin on used house for 2 million.....and how will I know they will not build me a <deleted> house? Is this far from CM center?

Edited by parafareno

13 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

He says he got a covid rate in the video!

Anyway CM does have 7500 baht ghs in old city monthly.

If people like hipsters and khao soi thats a good deal.

Yes, you can get Condos for 3000 Baht and guest houses for 4000 Baht a month in CM, BUT that resort he stayed in isn't a 2500 Baht a month place , I did spend quite a few weeks walking round CM and seeing what condos/hotels were offering 

1 minute ago, parafareno said:

so if I have 500k budget, is that enought for a decent house? Wait are you talking 500000 BHT or USD? 

And do via company? I would really do that immediately....rather than splurgin on used house for 2 million.....

Baht. I'm paying only for work. Everything else I'm supplying (not only ceramic tiles, even small stuff like glue, nails etc.). Guys just come in the morning and there is pile of sand, cement, bricks, window and I tell them to take down old wall and put up new wall with that window inside. I think you cold build 500,000 baht house this way easily, but something like 700,000 Baht would be much better budget, as you could really buy good stuff.

12 minutes ago, FrederikKitten said:

Baht. I'm paying only for work. Everything else I'm supplying (not only ceramic tiles, even small stuff like glue, nails etc.). Guys just come in the morning and there is pile of sand, cement, bricks, window and I tell them to take down old wall and put up new wall with that window inside. I think you cold build 500,000 baht house this way easily, but something like 700,000 Baht would be much better budget, as you could really buy good stuff.

but where is the location? In some village far from civilization? Is this near CM center? I could splurge 1 million, what do I get, house with furniture? Do you have any picture of what can I get?

Edited by parafareno

12 minutes ago, parafareno said:

what do I get, house with furniture? Do you have any picture of what can I get?

26 minutes ago, FrederikKitten said:

Guys just come in the morning and there is pile of sand, cement, bricks, window and I tell them to take down old wall and put up new wall with that window inside. I think you cold build 500,000 baht house this way easily, but something like 700,000 Baht would be much better budget, as you could really buy good stuff.

I don't think I want to see a picture. 

11 hours ago, FrederikKitten said:

I ended up doing all my tiling myself.  I got several Thais in to start but each one was an imbecile.  I had to watch them so closely it was just as easy to do the job myself.  My GF had no work at the time due to covid so he was mixing up the tile glue for me.  I did a good job too, if I do say so myself.  I have had a couple of local Thai tradesmen come to take photos.  I screed the bathroom floor very accurately so that I could lay whole 400mm tiles sloping into a triangle corner drain.  I had to cut two tile exactly in half diagonally...not easy by hand with a grinder.  Thais here had never seen that.  Made my GF very happy.  She refers to it as her 5 star bathroom.

The plumbing is already in, and the slab for the second bathroom out the back.  I am just going to render that in polished concrete finish and then paint it with TOA cement floor finish.  It will be the boy's bathroom where I can rinse off my fishing, diving and surf gear.

Edited by Adumbration

You could also build it for under 300K.  Just substitute the cermanic tile with "Cut Mun" or polished concrete finish and then top coat it with TOA polyurethane floor paint.  Cheap, durable, and not problems with cracked or poorly laid tiles.  It is also fashionable at the moment.  No need to spend a fortune on fittings, it is over capitalisation anyway,  I bought my toilets for 2100 baht each.  

Good job, well done.  Can't understand why expats would pay a couple of million for a 25m2 condo for millions of baht.  My garage is going to be bigger than that.  Sure I do not have my name on the Chanote, but I do have a life usufruct.  And if I need to walk I will only lose a few hundred thousand, which I have already recovered in saved rent.

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Good job, well done.  Can't understand why expats would pay a couple of million for a 25m2 condo for millions of baht.  My garage is going to be bigger than that.  Sure I do not have my name on the Chanote, but I do have a life usufruct.  And if I need to walk I will only lose a few hundred thousand, which I have already recovered in saved rent.

where is your place, can you explain? can you help me build for myself? I can pay you fee for info

• Haha 1