Cheap houses in Chiang Mai

parafareno

My Thai friend is selling a very nice 2 rai piece of land with 2 houses on them one main house and the other like a guesthouse in a good area of CM at a very reasonable 4.5 million baht, PM me for more details...

3 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

In my next life I might chose Phitsanulok, I went there for the first time this year and I was wowed. The town has everything, an outstanding university, great scenery nearby, equi distance between North and South hence convenient access to other parts of Thailand. It took me 25 years to find the place, goodness only knows what other places exist that I haven't seen yet. I almost certainly would not chose the places you mention because they are all so commercialized and westernized in so many ways, they were great 10/15 years ago but not today.

Know a Thai from there. She looks Turkish. Totally different look from other Thais Ive seen. Not been yet. Might go next year.

I want to check out Nakhon Sawan, Phits and Mae Sariang. Phits has an airport plus train so a plus.

Phits has access to Sukhothai plus Phetchabun so thats pretty good. 

10 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i have a limited time....i can spend 6 months per year in thailand and I choose october - april....so 6 months to avoid winter....

Krabi is nothing special....nice beaches....but i prefer pattaya, more nightlife....malls etc....

Why buy if you just want 6 months? Bkk has the best nightlife and malls

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

In my next life I might chose Phitsanulok, I went there for the first time this year and I was wowed. The town has everything, an outstanding university, great scenery nearby, equi distance between North and South hence convenient access to other parts of Thailand. It took me 25 years to find the place, goodness only knows what other places exist that I haven't seen yet. I almost certainly would not chose the places you mention because they are all so commercialized and westernized in so many ways, they were great 10/15 years ago but not today.

People really need to travel and peek at the whole country, and do their research.   I also did not, and rooted myself at Udon Thani for first 16 yrs here.  As soon as able, I was out of there.  Too far from everything I preferred, and has that damn smog season.  Did like the 2 months of cool temps.

Picked PKK for the remainder of my stay on the planet, while living any way.  As a pitstop or more every year, and loved it, along with minor, actually very little changes over the past 20 yrs.  Just far and inconvenient enough that international, even most domestic tourist don't bother with.

If not for the tourist numbers, I'd be on Phuket.  For the Andaman Sea vs the Gulf, which is pretty <deleted> to swim in, but lovely bays to look at while sipping.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Know a Thai from there. She looks Turkish. Totally different look from other Thais Ive seen. Not been yet. Might go next year.

I want to check out Nakhon Sawan, Phits and Mae Sariang. Phits has an airport plus train so a plus.

Phits has access to Sukhothai plus Phetchabun so thats pretty good. 

I'm sorry if this offends any NS residents I struggle to see that it has any good points whatsoever, except the road out of town. And I've been through NS over 30 times and even spent time there.

My wife is from Sukhothai so I know that town very well also, there is nothing there that would interest 99% of westerners unless they had a reason to visit. The History Park is nice but once you've spent two hours there, that's it until the next decade, there isn't even a decent hotel there..

Phetchabun......excellent scenery, often very dramatic, nice people also.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

People really need to travel and peek at the whole country, and do their research.   I also did not, and rooted myself at Udon Thani for first 16 yrs here.  As soon as able, I was out of there.  Too far from everything I preferred, and has that damn smog season.  Did like the 2 months of cool temps.

Picked PKK for the remainder of my stay on the planet, while living any way.  As a pitstop or more every year, and loved it, along with minor, actually very little changes over the past 20 yrs.  Just far and inconvenient enough that international, even most domestic tourist don't bother with.

If not for the tourist numbers, I'd be on Phuket.  For the Andaman Sea vs the Gulf, which is pretty <deleted> to swim in, but lovely bays to look at while sipping.

what is PKK

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, parafareno said:

my friend, inflation...the prices will skyrocket when the tourists will come back..that is my prediction...they are already rising very fast

Property prices are flat and have been so for years, inflation also remains lower than elsewhere. The Thai property market is restricted, only Thai's can own land, there is an oversupply of houses and condo's.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm sorry if this offends any NS residents I struggle to see that it has any good points whatsoever, except the road out of town. And I've been through NS over 30 times and even spent time there.

My wife is from Sukhothai so I know that town very well also, there is nothing there that would interest 99% of westerners unless they had a reason to visit. The History Park is nice but once you've spent two hours there, that's it until the next decade, there isn't even a decent hotel there..

Phetchabun......excellent scenery, often very dramatic, nice people also.

Fair enough, good to know. Have you driven the Phits to Phetchabun road? Is it worse than Pai road? 

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Fair enough, good to know. Have you driven the Phits to Phetchabun road? Is it worse than Pai road? 

No. The 11 from Lampang to Phits. is excellent scenery and a decent road, I can highly recommend Uttaradit. The 12 from Phits to Nam Nao is also very pleasant. The Pai road is in a class of its own, I've not come across much that's similar anywhere else here.

The 117 is the main road through NS, I strongly suggest you speed up about a mile from town and try to attain maximum velocity before reaching the boundary.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Property prices are flat and have been so for years, inflation also remains lower than elsewhere. The Thai property market is restricted, only Thai's can own land, there is an oversupply of houses and condo's.

how can you say that.... 8 years ago i was looking to buy a house in pattaya...almost  did it, in village on dark side...1.5 million....semi detached.....can you buy today for this price in pattaya?

same for condos...the prices went up after covid at least 30 %, in 10 years the prices double for sure, you could get a house for 1 million in pattaya 10 years ago if I remember right on the dark side invillage

Edited by parafareno

10 minutes ago, parafareno said:

how can you say that.... 8 years ago i was looking to buy a house in pattaya...almost  did it, in village on dark side...1.5 million....semi detached.....can you buy today for this price in pattaya?

same for condos...the prices went up after covid at least 30 %

If you pick your area carefully then you will find patches where prices increase because of development but it's all very patchy and in small areas. And after holding a property you should be able to make some sort of profit after a decade but it's far from guaranteed. Read up on housing supply here, especially Pattaya, the over supply is horrendous, particularly condo's. You say prices went up 30% after covid, I say they did no such thing. There is a move afoot to suspend new condo developments because of the oversupply, that doesn't equate to 30% increases in prices, that means falling prices!. 

This is from 2015: https://propertyforsalepattaya.net/pattaya-condo-market-oversupply/

This is from 2020: https://www.colliers.com/en-th/news/property-new-update-pattaya

Google the Bangkok Post and read articles about current times, sorry, I can't post them here.

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

If you pick your area carefully then you will find patches where prices increase because of development but it's all very patchy and in small areas. And after holding a property you should be able to make some sort of profit after a decade but it's far from guaranteed. Read up on housing supply here, especially Pattaya, the over supply is horrendous, particularly condo's. You say prices went up 30% after covid, I say they did no such thing. There is a move afoot to suspend new condo developments because of the oversupply, that doesn't equate to 30% increases in prices, that means falling prices!. 

This is from 2015: https://propertyforsalepattaya.net/pattaya-condo-market-oversupply/

This is from 2020: https://www.colliers.com/en-th/news/property-new-update-pattaya

Google the Bangkok Post and read articles about current times, sorry, I can't post them here.

RE 101 ... location location location, along with supply & demand.

Our 2 previous houses, rural (16km out of metro) appreciated for 1 reason, the land they sat on appreciated.  The building did not.  Cost to replace new up, but since 2nd hand, no real appreciation.

More land under your house, more appreciation.  Baht for baht, land appreciation added to house cost, and that was the sale price of both houses.

Present house, lot it's on, has risen from ฿76k/100tw to ฿250k/100tw in 5yrs.  Fact, as we bought the lot across from us, for a garden, since the house takes up most of the lot it's built on.  It was listed at 500k, negotiations started at 350k, and the wife settled on ฿250k.

Same owner we bought from, has another lot on the soi, as there's only 8 I think, and that one is listed for ฿600k

You never know, as P.T. said.... one born every ...

Appraisal at land office is ฿100k.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 2

To the general question of property in Chiang Mai, I've enjoyed the drives up into the mountains. If I had my choice I'd settle around Chiang Mai at a higher elevation. I love the cool and the wooded feel of it. No problem coming down the hill to hit a Makro. However most of this seems to be national park land. I see so many stories of prominent politicians taken down for building on park land. I also think that there are land grants to hill tribes around that I don't quite understand.

Is there land for sale up on the mountains for purchase? Visions of growing my own coffee dance in my head.

11 hours ago, elektrified said:

"How much costs are with having company so you can buy a house...Per year how much does it cost? "

It's illegal to start a company for the purpose of buying real property.

Tell that to the Chinese, just about every house they have "bought" was via a company.

41 minutes ago, seedy said:

All over. Chiang Dao just one example. With Chanote

Thanks much. It looks similar to Chiang Mai, about 500 meters but the Doi Chiang Dao rises to 2000+.

Looks like a worthy trip. Of course all the property online is priced like they were still in the opium trade and using their product. 

24 minutes ago, night_rider said:

Thanks much. It looks similar to Chiang Mai, about 500 meters but the Doi Chiang Dao rises to 2000+.

Looks like a worthy trip. Of course all the property online is priced like they were still in the opium trade and using their product. 

Unless you are looking to buy in a gated community, forget online. Just choose an area and ask at the village shop about land for sale - everybody and their dog is a 'dealer' after the massive 3% payout.....

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:33 AM, parafareno said:

but never been in CM...i know there is more polution in CM, which is a big problem

saying you know things about a place you have not spent time is a "big problem" .  

do you have any idea how much land 60 talangwa is ?      that is about the size of land

you will get with the SMALL  3bd 2 bath   cheaply built house ,     they look cute, until

you have 50 other "neighbors"  crammed into similar lots around yours

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:33 AM, parafareno said:

just thinking about options....seems houses are way cheaper than in pattaya

i stayed in pattaya total 6 months, but never been in CM...i know there is more polution in CM, which is a big problem

i have lived in pattaya and jomtien in the past for many years, and now for years in CM==let me tell you that there is a lot more pollution in pattaya  in all kinds of ways.

I just checked on ddproperty and there 6 pages of listings for 2 br detached houses between 1.5-2 million THB.

Is it better to buy a newly built one, or one that has been lived in?

Ones that have been lived in haven't collapsed yet, and would have gone through their teething problems already. With new one they've never really been tested and everything that is under the ground or in the walls might need to be ripped out and redone. 

A friend of our had their house built and the plumber saved 1000THB by not using glue on the PVC joints and they've had 5 years of various leaks ever since.

Are their surveyor companies out there that for say, 10,000 THB go over the whole house checking everything before you buy it?

https://www.ddproperty.com/en/property-for-sale?sort=price&order=asc&region_code=TH50&freetext=Chiang+Mai&listing_type=sale&minprice=1500000&maxprice=2000000&property_type=B&property_type_code[]=BUNG&market=residential&beds[]=2&search=true

5 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

I just checked on ddproperty and there 6 pages of listings for 2 br detached houses between 1.5-2 million THB.

Is it better to buy a newly built one, or one that has been lived in?

Ones that have been lived in haven't collapsed yet, and would have gone through their teething problems already. With new one they've never really been tested and everything that is under the ground or in the walls might need to be ripped out and redone. 

A friend of our had their house built and the plumber saved 1000THB by not using glue on the PVC joints and they've had 5 years of various leaks ever since.

Are their surveyor companies out there that for say, 10,000 THB go over the whole house checking everything before you buy it?

https://www.ddproperty.com/en/property-for-sale?sort=price&order=asc&region_code=TH50&freetext=Chiang+Mai&listing_type=sale&minprice=1500000&maxprice=2000000&property_type=B&property_type_code[]=BUNG&market=residential&beds[]=2&search=true

The vast majority prefer new, sold on the pristine look, and with no ghosts! but, just like second-hand cars here, looks can be deceiving. Virtually all of those you pulled out of ddproperty are postage stamp plots, hence the price. If you want any space, maybe to grow things or extend later, plot size dictates price and residential land is not cheap anymore.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 10:48 AM, parafareno said:

people here asking why buy condo or a house?  because of inflation.....the prices are rising and so will the rents....when the tourists will come back

The other reason to buy is to be able to customize a place to your liking... any improvements are an investment... cool it up with nice furnishings