Luxury car parked in handicapped spot - Bangkok airport praised for shaming driver with sign

webfact

Shame can be a big deterrent here, where people are pathological fearful of what strangers think of them. I have used the tactic often. It works. 

They could have added, you are a cretin, who cares nothing about others, even those who are handicapped and considerably less fortunate than yourself. We are all, asking, who exactly is your Mom, and why did she do such a deficient job of raising you? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

While it's likely that this guy may well have been incorrectly taking up a handicapped spot, sometimes things aren't what they seem.  These spots are not just for handicapped drivers, but also disabled - either permanently or temporarily - passengers who require the extra space to get out of and into the car.  A couple of years back I broke an ankle and both shoulders (all of them mine, unfortunately), so was unable to use crutches, but had to hobble around on a walking frame for a while.  Coming back from my frequent follow up hospital visits, with my wife driving, we would often stop in the local Robinson centre.  Most of the time I'd wait in the car, but occasionally wanted to get out to take the weight off my behind.  The first time this happened, my wife explained the situation to the parking attendant / security guard, and we were directed to a disabled bay.  We had two choices of vehicle to take on these trips, a 4WD pickup truck, which I found difficult to climb into and out of, and a two door sports car, which has extra long doors to ease access into the rear, which I found very easy to get in and out of, so that was our choice.  I fully appreciate that anyone walking past and seeing a sports car parked in a disabled bay would have had a few choice remarks to make, but it was entirely justified, and as soon as I was able to walk with a stick we no longer parked in it.  Lay off the criticism, and brake fluid, until you see both the driver and passenger.  (If both are fully able bodied, however, then go ahead).

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

While it's likely that this guy may well have been incorrectly taking up a handicapped spot, sometimes things aren't what they seem.

They saw him on CCTV... it is what it seems... An ayhole taking up a disabled space. 

But, I do get your point....  there are plenty of documented issues in the UK with people accusing those who who are not ‘visibly impaired’ of taking up parking spots for the disabled, yet the hold the Disabled badge used for parking...  they have some respiratory or heart issue etc...

That said: I very much doubt this is the issue here. Kudos to those publicising this issue... 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"This is a parking spot for the handicapped or aged. CCTV shows you are neither handicapped nor old. Please call..."

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Stupid comment.... 

How many broke people do you know who can spend US$120,000 on a car ???????

$120,000? I'll admit I have no idea about Thailand, but in the UK they available from around £4000.