Luxury car parked in handicapped spot - Bangkok airport praised for shaming driver with sign

webfact

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

It won't shame them or deter them , they will just

do it again , they don't care ,it will be worth it for

them to pay the fine  ,just to park closer to where

they want to be, 

What might make them think twice if someone

just happened to empty a bottle of brake fluid

all over their car........preferably a disabled person,

poetic justice ....

regards worgeordie

Clamps also won't deter selfish rich hi-so folks, just task a low level employee to get the clamp removed and bring the car home. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Does Thailand have such a thing as a ‘disabled badge’ for motorists to show in such situations... and to display in their car etc ?

I've noticed some cars, in disabled spots, with an official sticker on the inside of the wind screen, maybe 10 cm X 10 cm with a wheelchair on the sticker. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And if the driver was disabled by a health condition that cannot be seen?

Obviously health conditions may not be visible, which is why disabled car parking permits are visible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Does Thailand have such a thing as a ‘disabled badge’ for motorists to show in such situations... and to display in their car etc ?

I've noticed some cars, in disabled spots, with an official sticker on the inside of the wind screen, maybe 10 cm X 10 cm with a wheelchair on the sticker. 

Of course... I suppose anyone could just make the same image and put that in their windscreen whenever they want to park in a disabled spot...  there’s not really anything to stop them in Thailand.... 

Social reaction and social responsibility is perhaps the most effective solution to any of these issues which involve a degree of morality to prevent... that goes for a lot of other things too... (such as driving itself, or littering etc).

9 hours ago, phetphet said:

If it was a Porsche, he probably left it there because he thought someone had stolen his engine. ????

Yeah, one time my neighbor couldn't get his vintage Volkswagen to start.  I looked under the hood, sure enough the engine was gone.  Easy enough to figure out.  But then another neighbor joined us, he also had an old VW and said he could help us out, he had a spare engine in his trunk.    :cheesy:

In some US cities they simply tow the car away.  When you realize it's gone there is no indication if it was impounded or stolen, you then have to go through finding the right numbers to call, call the police, and more.  It can take a few hours for it to show up in the system, and until it does there is no way to know what became of it.  Getting it back involves paying for the towing AND STORAGE as well as the violation.  Oh, and they will look into your record in search of past transgressions you have yet to pay your debt to society for.  By comparison putting a boot on the car is the easy way out.

In Bkk I have seen pushcart boots made for the bicycle tires carts usually have.

I like the sign, nice touch.  But it should include the name of the person the car is registered to, amps up the shame.

18 hours ago, ballpoint said:

While it's likely that this guy may well have been incorrectly taking up a handicapped spot, sometimes things aren't what they seem.  These spots are not just for handicapped drivers, but also disabled - either permanently or temporarily - passengers who require the extra space to get out of and into the car.  A couple of years back I broke an ankle and both shoulders (all of them mine, unfortunately), so was unable to use crutches, but had to hobble around on a walking frame for a while.  Coming back from my frequent follow up hospital visits, with my wife driving, we would often stop in the local Robinson centre.  Most of the time I'd wait in the car, but occasionally wanted to get out to take the weight off my behind.  The first time this happened, my wife explained the situation to the parking attendant / security guard, and we were directed to a disabled bay.  We had two choices of vehicle to take on these trips, a 4WD pickup truck, which I found difficult to climb into and out of, and a two door sports car, which has extra long doors to ease access into the rear, which I found very easy to get in and out of, so that was our choice.  I fully appreciate that anyone walking past and seeing a sports car parked in a disabled bay would have had a few choice remarks to make, but it was entirely justified, and as soon as I was able to walk with a stick we no longer parked in it.  Lay off the criticism, and brake fluid, until you see both the driver and passenger.  (If both are fully able bodied, however, then go ahead).

Nah. No need to be an apologist for societies offensive and low life members. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ballpoint said:

While it's likely that this guy may well have been incorrectly taking up a handicapped spot, sometimes things aren't what they seem.  These spots are not just for handicapped drivers, but also disabled - either permanently or temporarily - passengers who require the extra space to get out of and into the car.  A couple of years back I broke an ankle and both shoulders (all of them mine, unfortunately), so was unable to use crutches, but had to hobble around on a walking frame for a while.  Coming back from my frequent follow up hospital visits, with my wife driving, we would often stop in the local Robinson centre.  Most of the time I'd wait in the car, but occasionally wanted to get out to take the weight off my behind.  The first time this happened, my wife explained the situation to the parking attendant / security guard, and we were directed to a disabled bay.  We had two choices of vehicle to take on these trips, a 4WD pickup truck, which I found difficult to climb into and out of, and a two door sports car, which has extra long doors to ease access into the rear, which I found very easy to get in and out of, so that was our choice.  I fully appreciate that anyone walking past and seeing a sports car parked in a disabled bay would have had a few choice remarks to make, but it was entirely justified, and as soon as I was able to walk with a stick we no longer parked in it.  Lay off the criticism, and brake fluid, until you see both the driver and passenger.  (If both are fully able bodied, however, then go ahead).

Immaterial unless you were actually disabled and had a permit. 100:1 this guy was taking the Michael. 

21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Many people's handicaps are not obvious, not all health issues are obvious.

Indeed, he has a reading handicap.

Edited by Stocky

On 10/6/2022 at 2:01 PM, mwbrown said:

I think it's a Nissan 350Z or 370Z.  Wannabe sports car for broke young Thai guys.

It does look like a Nissan. 

BTW, I saw a recent Nissan r35 for sale 26M baht. 

Lots of money for a Nissan. 

I'm not a fan of the Japanese sports cars, German and Italian for me. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

Maybe the owner of the car was aged, I have a friend over 70 years old owning a Lamborghini. I saw a very very old man in a Maserati not long ago, OK he had a driver, but if you are old and have problem to walk and you have a driver, can you use or not?

Unfortunately a security guard watching CCTV footage isn't going to cut it. Many neurological disorders can limit mobility without being overtly evident upon initial observation.

Whether the driver is genuinely disabled or not, he's going to end up getting a medical certificate showing that he is. The airport will have no choice but to apologise with lots of wai'ing. Half the netizens will say he just bribed a doctor for the medical certificate, and the other half will be saying you take this as a lesson not to judge others.