Pro Wrestling Fans

from wwe.com

Chris Benoit, family found dead

Written: June 25, 2007STAMFORD, Conn., June 25, 2007 – World Wrestling Entertainment was informed today by authorities in Fayette County, Ga., that WWE Superstar Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and his son were found dead in their home. Authorities are investigating, but no other details are available at this time.

Instead of its announced programming for tonight on USA Network, WWE will air a three-hour tribute to Chris Benoit.

Chris was beloved among his fellow Superstars, and was a favorite among WWE fans for his unbelievable athleticism and wrestling ability. He always took great pride in his performance, and always showed respect for the business he loved, for his peers and towards his fans. This is a terrible tragedy and an unbearable loss.

WWE extends its sincere condolences and prayers to the Benoit family and loved ones in this time of tragedy.

he is scheduled to be in Bangkok next month for the Smackdown tour. Met him before a real gentleman . Nice family guy . Im so in Shock. Will talk to my friend who is coming here for the tour and ask more info's from them whats going on.

First it was Eddie Gurrero and now Chris

Taken from wwe.com

Benoit's death part of a double murder-suicide

Written: June 25, 2007

According to lead investigator Lt. Tommy Pope, of the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department, in Fayetteville, Ga., the deaths of WWE Superstar Chris Benoit, wife Nancy and son Daniel were the result of a double murder-suicide, WWE.com has learned.

Benoit failed to appear both at Saturday’s live event in Beaumont, Texas, and WWE’s Vengeance: Night of Champions in Houston Sunday night, after informing WWE of a family emergency. Several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning prompted concerned friends to alert Richard Hering, VP of Government Relations for WWE, Inc. Hering, in turn, spoke with Fayette County sheriffs Monday, and requested they respond to the Benoit residence to check on him and his family.

Authorities representing the Sheriff’s Department initially had a difficult time entering Benoit’s new Fayetteville home Monday afternoon, which had been guarded by two large German Shepherds roaming freely around the property. Once authorities entered the residence, they quickly located the bodies of Benoit, Nancy and Daniel. WWE was notified of the discovery at approximately 4 p.m.

At 10 p.m. Monday night, Lt. Pope held a press conference in conjunction with Scott Ballard, the district attorney for Fayette County. The press conference officially ruled authorities’ findings as a double murder-suicide from within the home.

WAGA, a FOX-owned and operated television station in Atlanta, reported that investigators believe Benoit killed his wife and 7-year-old son over the weekend, then himself on Monday.

The three bodies have been received by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s crime lab, in Decatur, Ga., where autopsies will be performed Tuesday morning. Toxicology reports will not become available for at least two weeks.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitupdate

So sad...

TheWalkingMan

Benoit strangled wife, smothered son

Wednesday Jun 27 05:00 AEST

Wrestling superstar Chris Benoit strangled his wife, smothered his son and then hanged himself in his weight room, according to police.

Police investigators announced the grisly findings at a press conference this morning (AEST).

"Mr Benoit had sometime, possibly Friday, murdered his wife by asphyxiation. Sometime shortly after that, the same for his son Daniel and sometime later ... committed suicide by hanging himself in the basement area," officials said in a statement from the Fayetteville Sheriff's Department.

..........Toxicology tests will show whether steroids or prescription drugs, both found inside the Benoit home, could have been a factor in the deaths. Steroid abuse has been linked to angry outbursts known as "roid rage." ....................

Continued here http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=275424

bump ,

now getting airplay on fox* as steroid abuse ,

*don't blame me , the better 1/2 was channel surfing .............

I would have thought upholders of democracy like Bill O'reilley and Sean hannity would be right up your alley! :o

The following article points to the medical problem of his child as being the possible reason for this tragedy.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald.

June 28, 2007 - 6:54AM

Professional wrestler Chris Benoit met with his personal physician hours before he allegedly killed his wife and son before hanging himself in his basement, the doctor said.

"He was in my office on Friday to stop by just to see my staff," said Dr Phil Astin of metro Atlanta. "He certainly didn't show any signs of any distress or rage or anything."

Authorities say Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his seven-year-old son Daniel and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself with a weight-machine pulley over the weekend. Authorities have not named a motive for the killings, which were spread out over the weekend and discovered on Monday.

Astin, who said he was Benoit's longtime friend and physician, said he had prescribed testosterone to Benoit because he suffered from low amounts of the hormone. He said the condition likely originated from previous steroid use. He would not say what, if any, medications he prescribed the day of the meeting.

"I'm still very surprised and shocked, especially with his child Daniel involved," Astin said. "He worshipped his child."

Investigators said Benoit's 43-year-old wife was strangled on Friday with what appeared to be a cable in an upstairs family room. Her feet and wrists were bound and there was blood under her head, indicating a possible struggle. Daniel was probably killed late Saturday or early Sunday, and his body was found in his bed, District Attorney Scott Ballard said.

Ballard said the autopsy indicated that there were no bruise marks on his neck, so authorities are now assuming he could have been killed using a choke hold. "It's a process of elimination," he said.

The family was struggling before the killings with how to care for the child, who suffered from a rare medical condition called Fragile X Syndrome, an inherited form of mental retardation often accompanied by autism, said Jerry McDevitt, an attorney for World Wrestling Entertainment.

"Him and Nancy were clearly struggling about this whole issue, about how to take care of Daniel," said McDevitt.

Anabolic steroids were found in Benoit's home, leading officials to wonder whether the drugs may have caused the muscle man nicknamed the "Canadian Crippler" to kill his wife and child and then himself.

The WWE, based in Stamford, Connecticut, issued a news release on Tuesday evening saying steroids "were not and could not be related to the cause of death" and that the findings indicate "deliberation, not rage". It also added that Benoit tested negative April 10, the last time he was tested for drugs.

The organisation did not return phone calls for comment on Wednesday.

While steroids can cause paranoia and explosive outbursts, the drug is also associated with deep and lengthy bouts of depression.

"Just as you have the extreme high of when you're on steroids, you can get the opposite," said Dr Todd Schlifstein, a clinical assistant professor at the New York University School of Medicine. "You can have a dramatic difference in mood swings. You can feel there's no hope, there's no future."

It's embarassing to watch these idiots on television. I cringe when i see it. I cringe even more when i see the hundreds of thousands of fans who love it.

Tragic what happened to his family. Reports suggest it was nothing to do with rage - the wife's hands and feet were bound and the son appears to have been killed hours after the wife.

Horrible horrible story of a freak gone wrong.

It's embarassing to watch these idiots on television. I cringe when i see it. I cringe even more when i see the hundreds of thousands of fans who love it.

It's just like a pantomime Bendix,pure and simple.Even the yanks realise this. :o I feel the same way about people that watch coro street or many other tv shows.

These guys are good athletes though and many of them sustain terrible injuries etc.

Aussie link in wrestler mystery

June 29, 2007 02:25pm

BIZARRE Australian link has emerged in the murder-suicide of US wrestling star Chris Benoit - with evidence news of his wife's death was posted on the web from Sydney 14 hours before police made it public.

Records show that the death of World Wrestling Entertainment star Benoit's wife was revealed in a Wikipedia article 14 hours before police discovered the bodies of the family.

While police did not find the bodies of Benoit, his wife and son until 6.30pm local time, the Wikipedia entry on the death of Benoit's wife updated much earlier - first at 4am local time from a computer apparently in Connecticut, and then an hour later from a computer connected to the internet via Australian provider Unwired.com.au.

The computer has been reported as being in Sydney.

Wikipedia is now reporting the bizarre events on Benoit's entry as follows:

"...one hour later after the first edit reversion, another anonymous edit by 125.63.148.173 using unwiredAustralia.com.au, a wireless Internet service provider, was made adding about the aforementioned personal issues: "Which according to several pro wrestling websites is attributed to the passing of Benoit's wife, Nancy." That edit was reverted just under 20 minutes later, with the comment: "Saying 'several pro wrestling websites' is still not reliable information."

Continued here http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...093-954,00.html