Police shooter in NE massacre was addicted to drugs since high school - got drugs from another ex-cop

webfact

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not that we would expect any more out of the RTP, but it is a bit surprising that nothing in the way of a background check is done, before someone is hired. I guess since they are expected to work the franchise, rather than practice law enforcement, this should not be shocking. 

What is incredible, is that this guy could get away with such atrocious behavior, over a period of so many years. And even though he was a constant annoyance to the other cops, and even though he was obviously a very poor performer, he was kept on. It is as if they have no standards, and one has to really go out on the limb to get fired. Many of us have long considered the RTP to be a very toxic force within Thailand. Is this even more confirmation of that?

I'd say that he was connected in some way to the higher ups, giving them a good cut maybe, and as such, could get away with disgraceful behavior... 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Its almost like a person must meet some psycho criterea before he/she can join the police force.

I remember they lowered the entry bar. Literally. The previous height requirement was brought down and the number of brain cells required was also lowered to enable those without a university degree to apply.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rbkk said:

I remember they lowered the entry bar. Literally. The previous height requirement was brought down and the number of brain cells required was also lowered to enable those without a university degree to apply.

Pretty sure there's no correlation between height and potential for addiction to yabba / meth.

Ive never met many policemen with a university degree!

I think the only qualification is to increase and recycle the ammount of drugs currently in production / circulation.

• Like 1

When the news broke down I was quite shocked and sad. So many needless deaths. Then I read this story and felt angry about the systematical unethical and cowardly behaviour by his peers and superiors that enabled him.

But the following sentence changed the mood to scared.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

But despite attempts to get him into a police rehab program he continued with drug taking.

How widespread does drug addiction amongst officers need to be for the police to need their own rehab program?! What the actual fark?

• Like 2

While he did the actual stabbing, the Royal Thai Police is a co-conspirator for allowing a guy with a history of drug and other problems to join the force. They then did nothing to remove him when other issues were reported. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

If someone wants to join the police why is their history related to drugs, violence etc not checked and why are they not psychologically tested to ensure they are not going to totally flip like this guy did. Because of the "take anyone who wants to join" (apparently) attitude many innocent lives have been taken.

how much of the Thai police force is like this I wonder? These guys won't even enforce simple things like speed limits so what are they even doing or what their motivations are.

So what the article here is telling us is...

This guy got into the Thai police force as an ongoing drug (yaba) user, and then proceeded thru years of employment and numerous misdeeds (which were well-known by his fellow officers), and nothing much was done about him for years by the RTP as he continued to spiral out of control, and until this week when he finally entirely went berserk in a mass killing massacre.

Bravo!

"Panya became a policeman inn Yannawa, Bangkok, in November 2012"

"He was a drug addict since high school, boasted of having 100 yaba pills, threatened people with guns and refused to do his job."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, khunpeer said:

"psychologically" I don't even know if that word excists in thai language... I would say: first and above all: frequent bloodtests for all, that means everyone!

tangjittawittaya

Now you know.

• Like 2

Hello !

Did Drugs since high School, had a History of Violent behavior, was insubordinate.

Why, oh why, and how did this Monster ever become a Police Officer, and how did he manage to retain his position for so long.

There are some very serious questions that need to be asked of the RTP, their " recruitment procedures " and their ability to control their members.

This unforgivable incident is just going to heap more hate and distrust upon their already very tarnished reputation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Interesting to watch, for example, Doctor's groups rail on about the horrors of cannabis, while this country rots away from the methamphetamine plague.

Perhaps If he’d smoked a couple of joints instead, he couldn’t be bothered shooting people and would have fallen asleep watching cartoons!

Police Gun Control to Be Tightened after Massacre

BANGKOK, Oct 7 (TNA) – The national police chief said he will discuss with the Interior Ministry control on police’s firearms after the massacre by a former policeman and the police would work out its own measures related to the weapons of present and former police.

https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1033721

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Police Gun Control to Be Tightened after Massacre

BANGKOK, Oct 7 (TNA) – The national police chief said he will discuss with the Interior Ministry control on police’s firearms after the massacre by a former policeman and the police would work out its own measures related to the weapons of present and former police.

https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1033721

BREAKING: Autopsy reports shows no drugs found in the body of ex-cop mass shooter Panya Kamrab.

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1578302288896331777

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Not that we would expect any more out of the RTP, but it is a bit surprising that nothing in the way of a background check is done, before someone is hired. I guess since they are expected to work the franchise, rather than practice law enforcement, this should not be shocking. 

What is incredible, is that this guy could get away with such atrocious behavior, over a period of so many years. And even though he was a constant annoyance to the other cops, and even though he was obviously a very poor performer, he was kept on. It is as if they have no standards, and one has to really go out on the limb to get fired. Many of us have long considered the RTP to be a very toxic force within Thailand. Is this even more confirmation of that?

They probably keep them on because they know too much about the corruption. This guy was obviously caught with drugs in such a way that it could no longer be covered up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rbkk said:

How many others are in the ranks of the uniformed and weaponed?

unfortunately 1,000's or 100,000's hard to figure out the exact number as corruption is a must if one wants to be part RTP

• Like 1

So he joined the police at the Yannawa station in 2012, presumably through connections and/or paying a bribe.  After 7 years in Bangkok he was transferred to Isaan which was presumably a punishment.  Yannawa is a lucrative area in the centre of Bangkok. It is unlikely that a cop would volunteer to undergo a drastic cut in bribe money by moving to the boonies of Isaan.

All the information about his poor behaviour is from his 3 years in the force in Isaan.  How about some information about what he did in 7 years in Bangkok and what he did to get transferred to the boonies. The police should also shed some light on this practice of punishing police by sending them to low income parts of the country where they can't make so much money. People have to live in those places too.

• Like 2

I know a couple of cops that are anything other then mafiosos/corrupted, run their own business on RTP working hours.... I don't think RTP conducts any background check on any potential candidates, the only thing the RTP checks is the thickness of the envelope and whom the candidates are supported by, if they ever conducted background checks and asked for a criminal record nobody would be accepted

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:

BREAKING: Autopsy reports shows no drugs found in the body of ex-cop mass shooter Panya Kamrab.

Not surprised.  Everyone so quick to say drugs. I hate meth and what it does to people. But it doesn't turn them all into killers. 1/2 a million people do yaba everyday in Thailand.

Its not drugs, guns, alcohol its mental health. In USA, Canada, China, Thailand, these are mental health issues. Give a person with mental health issues a gun, knife, sword, there's going to be trouble. 

My humble opinion, I'm sure many here will feel different. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once positive thing could come out of this. Perhaps a crime this tragic and so highly publicized is enough to affect change in the RTP. It seems as though this shooting can be traced to police mismanagement, or better yet corruption because they wanted to keep the perpetrator's name out of the news when he caused trouble while a member of the RTP.

One thing that would help is if the media did not continuously publish pictures of the shooter. It makes bad people famous. This I think invites copy cat actions. In America some shooters make videos before they commit their acts so they can be shown on social media. The media in the US constantly flashes pictures of the shooters again and again on the 24 hour news cycle. They even seem to keep a tally of who has shot the most people. To me this just entices other unstable people to shoot for the record (no pun intended this is very serious).

These shootings are quite often committed by people with suicidal tendencies who want to take other innocent people with them when they die. For want of a better term, a suicide party of sorts. Check how many times this pattern has occurred in the US in recent years.