Change my O-A to O visa

Hi,

Pls your attention for my question:

My last day of 1 year extension of stay on non O-A visa is Nov 7.
Because of the mandatory health insurance (I got another one, which is not recognized in Thailand), I want to change to non O visa.
Are the following 4 steps correct?
1. I do a border run Nov 8.
2. Will have to pay 500 baht for overstay 1 day.
3. Cross the border and return on visa exemption, because O-A not valid anymore.
4. Not later than 15 days before this exemption expires (now 45 days validity), I request for non O at Immigr at Jomtien. Financial requirements are ok (800,000 in the bank).

A travel agency (Thai lady) told me I could change from non O-A to non O at Immigr in Jomtien, which is incorrect, as far as I know. Right?

Thanks!

Why overstay for one day? Should be no repercussions for one day over, but better to stay legal. Your O-A extension. becomes void as soon as you depart, no need to run it out past its expiry. You haven't stated you have an associated return visa so the visa exemption of 45 days would apply even when returning before your old extension expiry date. 

The procedure you outlined appears correct. Several experts will be along in a minute to confirm.

10 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Why overstay for one day? Should be no repercussions for one day over, but better to stay legal. Your O-A extension. becomes void as soon as you depart, no need to run it out past its expiry. You haven't stated you have an associated return visa so the visa exemption of 45 days would apply even when returning before your old extension expiry date. 

The procedure you outlined appears correct. Several experts will be along in a minute to confirm.

didn't say if he had a reentry permit or not, maybe that is why he is going after visa expires, if he doesn't have one then he should go before his extension expires

8 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Aaah, all right: I mixed up the validity of the O-A visa (I entered Thailand with it in Nov 2020) and the extension of stay.
From Nov 2020-NOv 2021 I could travel in and out of Thailand several times without re-entry permit, right? That has expired, I realize now.

Now I am staying on 1 year extension of stay (Nov 2021-Nov 2022) and need re-entry permit if I want my 1 year extension to stay valid.

So, I just do the border run on the final 1-2 days of my 1 year extension. That will next be void.

But, of course I will explore the possibility of using an agent (as long this is legal - I will check it in Immigr). Spending a few 1000 baht more and avoiding a day traveling is worth it.

4 minutes ago, flexomike said:

didn't say if he had a reentry permit or not, maybe that is why he is going after visa expires, if he doesn't have one then he should go before his extension expires

No re-entry! Will go 1-2 days before extension expires! Thanks!

15 hours ago, Steven55 said:

A travel agency (Thai lady) told me I could change from non O-A to non O at Immigr in Jomtien, which is incorrect, as far as I know. Right?

I am not sure if immigration require the 800k to be verified as freshly arrived from overseas to get the O-Visa.. I have heard of that. If you have plenty of money, an agent can take care of all the steps for you ...(I even read of it being done without leaving Thailand.) Some agents charge a good amount for all of the steps. (Obtain O Visa, then retirement extension, total 15 months stay). 

There is an agent  on Soi Post Office does a  cheaper price and fair service. If you have the 800k sitting there the price is much less.

Edited by jacko45k

14 hours ago, Steven55 said:

No re-entry! Will go 1-2 days before extension expires! Thanks!

good idea, I did my crossing in mid September and already have my O, would have done it two years earlier if the borders hadn't been closed. Costed me a lot of money for worthless insurance

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am not sure if immigration require the 800k to be verified as freshly arrived from overseas to get the O-Visa.. I have heard of that. If you have plenty of money, an agent can take care of all the steps for you ...(I even read of it being done without leaving Thailand.) Some agents charge a good amount for all of the steps. (Obtain O Visa, then retirement extension, total 15 months stay). 

There is an agent  on Soi Post Office does a  cheaper price and fair service. If you have the 800k sitting there the price is much less.

I assume there is just 1 agent there, so I will enter the right office? Thanks!

18 hours ago, Steven55 said:

You can if you cough up money for the unfortunates with the same dreams and aspirations as one born in a Western country but unable to survive in their own lands.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 4:17 PM, Steven55 said:

But, of course I will explore the possibility of using an agent (as long this is legal - I will check it in Immigr). Spending a few 1000 baht more and avoiding a day traveling is worth it.

I prefer not to use an agent myself , ... but I believe an agent is perfectly legal, where I suspect (suspect as I have not yet used an agent myself) that one in essence grants the agent 'power of attorney' to do the immigration dealings on your behalf (likely sign a document to that effect ? ) .  I have friends who live in Jomtien who much prefer using an agent, as opposed to potentially spending a long day at immigration and run into an obscure quirk in the paperwork that might even cause things to run into an extra day.  Their view is the 15,000 to 20,000 baht for an agent they know is reliable is money 'well spent' , and they believe it is worth not spending what could be a difficult day at immigration.

I just completed applying for a 90-day Type-O visa (previous I had a Type-OA visa) and it was a very long tiring day for me, going to the bank, and then to immigration, where immigration was a zoo, over flowing with foreigners - and hence long waits.  That is the situation my friends prefer to legally pay money to an agent, to avoid.

Don't forget what ever approach you adopt, that the application fee for the Type-O is also 2,000 baht.

On 10/7/2022 at 4:02 PM, Old Croc said:

Your O-A extension

My understanding is that he does not have an extension. He has a valid multiple entry Non O-A visa.

His plan is sound, but I would personally leave on the 7th, get a cheap room on the other side of the border for one night, and return the following day. The cost will be about the same, and I believe it is smart to avoid even short overstays (although a one-day overstay has no short term repercussions).

EDIT: One other point occurs to me. Normally, leaving and returning on an unexpired Non O-A visa will give you a fresh one-year stay. Immigration at the border might refuse to give you this because of the lack of qualifying insurance. However, in that case, you should instead get the visa exempt entry you are looking for without incurring any overstay.

Edited by BritTim

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

My understanding is that he does not have an extension. He has a valid multiple entry Non O-A visa.

In his first post, to which I was responding, he stated he did have such an extension.

It's easy to be clever after the actual situation is explained in a later post.