PM meets mass shooting victims’ families

snoop1130

Watching this mornings news it appears that the CNN News crew is in some seriously deep hot water after crossing over the wall at the school and going inside the crime scene to film.  US news and there desire for sensationalism just irritates me with the need to be the first.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Generally or in this instance?

In this instance. The negligence might lie in the courts who didn't lock him up, but then again how are they to know who the mass murderers are?

The police offered him rehab to get off drugs, prosecuted him and fired him, what else can they do?

I know for a fact that the police in that area take this kind of thing seriously. I have discussed this personally with the head policeman of Northern Isarn(7 provinces).

Incidentally, I worked in the largest government rehab in Isarn so know more than many of drug abuse amongst the police. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Watching this mornings news it appears that the CNN News crew is in some seriously deep hot water after crossing over the wall at the school and going inside the crime scene to film.  US news and there desire for sensationalism just irritates me with the need to be the first.

Was it not you that was saying yesterday that Thai news is sensationalist by showing pictures of bodies?

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Was it not you that was saying yesterday that Thai news is sensationalist by showing pictures of bodies?

Daily shown here, not daily in the US I am afraid, and only huge stories in tge US get reported, but they are not allowed to video inside crime scenes or show bodies like they do here.  Your view is self serving I am afraid.

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Daily shown here, not daily in the US I am afraid, and only huge stories in tge US get reported, but they are not allowed to video inside crime scenes or show bodies like they do here.  Your view is self serving I am afraid.

Hmm, I'm surprised they are showing so much interest here. Maybe because this kind of thing is unheard of there, I mean kids of such young age, terrible. 

Not sure what you mean by the final sentence. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I don't think there is negligence by the RTP, do you? 

Yes I do, who was responsible for employing a known addict it was the RTP, and that person who kepy him employed knowing he took yabba, should be held accountable, and at the very least have his pension and rank cancelled.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yes I do, who was responsible for employing a known addict it was the RTP, and that person who kepy him employed knowing he took yabba, should be held accountable, and at the very least have his pension and rank cancelled.

I've studied causal attribution theory and the difference between correlation and causation in criminal behaviour.  Maybe it is due to this that I find this man's crimes neither related to him being hired by the police, nor to not firing him on the spot for drug use. Your opinion is noted, but I disagree totally. 

On 10/8/2022 at 12:01 PM, bamnutsak said:

D'oh. The 150 photograpers might be hint. It was 5% sincerity and caring and 95% photo-op. That's the way the real world works, get used to it.

The PM bears full and direct repsonsiblity for this incident. The RTP report directly to the PM, a HUGE mistake made in 2002. Previously it was the MoI.

He needs to take responsibility. He won't. He needs to make changes ASAP, and not just shuffling the pawns around the board.

And having him in the dual role as Minister of Defense should NOT be allowed. Will a civilian PM - assuming there ever is one, be allowed to be MoD too? Uhm, no.

Yingluck Shinawatra, the last freely elected PM of Thailand was also Minister of Defence.

To be fair to her, she probably knew as much about being Minister of Defence as the current one does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yingluck_

After mass protests against her government in late 2013, she asked for a dissolution of parliament on 9 December 2013, triggering a snap election, but continued to act as caretaker prime minister.[9] On 7 May 2014, the Constitutional Court of Thailand removed Yingluck Shinawatra from the office of caretaker prime minister and defence minister following months of political crisis. The court found her guilty of charges of abuse of power over the removal of national security chief Thawil Pliensri in 2011.[10] In the wake of the May 2014 military coup, Yingluck was arrested along with former cabinet ministers and political leaders of all parties and held at an army camp for a few days while the coup was consolidated.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I agree. This is not the time to cast political rocks. They're assuming the PM has no heart and this is just a big show. I disagree. btw, one of those big checks he handed to a family was 200,000 baht.

Was the check in his personal name or was it simply a government check that all taxpayers kicked in for?

39 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Was the check in his personal name or was it simply a government check that all taxpayers kicked in for?

I have no idea. All I know is the check was being handed to some grieving parents written in the amount of 200,000 baht. Does it really matter who wrote the check?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I have no idea. All I know is the check was being handed to some grieving parents written in the amount of 200,000 baht. Does it really matter who wrote the check?

To me it does. If it is his personal money it means that he really cares. If it is government money, to me he is simply saving face.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

To me it does. If it is his personal money it means that he really cares. If it is government money, to me he is simply saving face.

I disagree. Giving government money, which I have no doublt it is, does not exclude the fact that he cares. Do you really think the PM has no feelings about this tragedy? Most normal humans would be very disturbed by this massacre, but you're suggesting the PM does not care about the victims.

Now if I was wrong, and he was giving his own personal money away, which is possible, and he made that known, he'd have more people on this forum ridiculing him. He can't win either way. The haters are going to hate him one way or another. It would be nice if people would refrain from bashing the PM in these threads as it takes the focus away from the tradegy. I don't personally care where the money is coming from - I'm just happy they are getting assistance.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2022 at 11:17 AM, Cake Monster said:

Which, if I read correctly Yesterday, amounts to about 100,000 Baht for the lost life of a baby, and a little more if Hospital treatment is required.

How dare you Prayut, How dare you !

Do you have evidence that the compensation amounts were decided by Prayut personally?

As for those claiming he is there just for photo-op, how tiresome bashing has become on this forum. Not that I like the man, but he did what any other PM in the world would have done under similar circumstances.

• Love It 1

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I've studied causal attribution theory and the difference between correlation and causation in criminal behaviour.  Maybe it is due to this that I find this man's crimes neither related to him being hired by the police, nor to not firing him on the spot for drug use. Your opinion is noted, but I disagree totally. 

Maybe you are right, the man was a weirdo, a ticking clock that sooner or later would have committed something abominable regardless of whether he was a member of police or not.

But the point remains, and very worth bringing up, that he was found out in breach of police code several times over several years (I read it in an early article from the newspaper that cannot be quoted here), including drugs but also violence, shooting in public places, harassing the public as well as colleagues. And the police always covered for him - until it was too much.

Heads will roll.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

As for those claiming he is there just for photo-op, how tiresome bashing has become on this forum. Not that I like the man, but he did what any other PM in the world would have done under similar circumstances.

I agree that any PM would visit and ensure that people got the help they need - and I don't think that anyone could be oblivious to the trauma of those parents (not even the coldest hearted).

But, please explain the huge cheques. Surely an announcement that all the families would receive support (financial and otherwise) would suffice.

I can think of only one purpose for those oversize cheques - but feel free to offer another explanation.