Culture Minister Calls On College Students Dressed In Inappropriate Uniforms To Have Social Responsibility

Jai Dee

Culture Minister calls on college students dressed in inappropriate uniforms to have social responsibility

Minister of Culture Khunying Khaisri Sri-arun (ไขศรี ศรีอรุณ) requests college students who wear inappropriate uniforms to realize that they have responsibility for the society. She also suggests that university teachers and organizations of college students should play an active role in resolving the problem together.

Khunying Khaisri attended a meeting yesterday (June, 24th) with Deputy Education Minister Assoc.Prof.Warakorn Samkoset (วรากรณ์ สามโกเศศ) and the network of 30 private universities in Bangkok. She says the meeting disagreed with the idea that universities should impose a strict ban on inappropriate college student uniforms as each university has different regulations. The meeting resolved to request all universities to launch a campaign for appropriate uniforms in order to let the students decide for themselves what they should do and what they should not.

Khunying Khaisri adds that the ministry will forward all opinions voiced during the meeting to the President of the University Council and rectors of universities nationwide in order to step up measures on college student uniforms.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 June 2007

I am always glad to see that my tax money is at work. I sure wouldn't want them to waste it on flood control, road repairs, rail links and other expensive and non-essential services!

i wish they would visit the west.

the stucents over here have the short skirts but with pot bellies, hanging out on show.

what they have in thailand is something that will put a smile on your face on the way to work.

On a serious note, I have been told (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that what the young girls do, is get the uniforms approved at the beginning of the term. Then, they slowly start to alter them by shortening the skirts and tightening the shirts, so that the end result is well...as srirachi John has shown you.

Is it just me or is the Minister of culture only targeting females?

Not too many overt trans-sexuals in the univercity student crowd. & who cares if a male student is walking around with his butt hanging out the back of his pants?

Was this the same minister who created an uproar two years ago, trying to ban foreigners from having sex on the beach at the full moon party in KPG?

Soundman.

Is it just me or is the Minister of culture only targeting females?

Not too many overt trans-sexuals in the univercity student crowd. & who cares if a male student is walking around with his butt hanging out the back of his pants?

Was this the same minister who created an uproar two years ago, trying to ban foreigners from having sex on the beach at the full moon party in KPG?

Soundman.

Actually there are hundreds, if not thousands, of overt transsexuals in the university student crowd. I found myself wondering what kind of uniform they would be asked to wear?

I'm curious to know how it was suggested that they change the uniform standards. If it was something like, the uniforms should be consistent with what is practical for a student getting an education, perhaps there is a point. It's awfully difficult to listen to a lecture while desperately figuring out how to sit without exposing yourself, maybe that's not practical.

But I have the feeling that's not how the Culture Ministry presented it. Words like, modesty, morality, virtue, image etc. are more likely to have been used. That's not what university was about last I attended. If that were the case, I'd expect to see shorter skirts just as students are bound to see a reason to protest the curtailment of their freedom. This is not only good news for the guys, but also the junta as it distracts from the real lack of freedom nowadays. :o

I WOULD post some of mine, but that would just bring out the morality police again! :o

But I find the whole topic discussed at the ministry level to be incredibly petty.

You would think the Culture Ministry might want to look at the wholesale loss of entire civilizations in the north with the plight of the minority tribes but instead they will fuss about the hemline and fit of the blouses of adult university students instead.

Nothing better to do I would guess?

~WISteve

I have to agree with the minister, these girls should be aware of the upset they are causing, the ones I have seen are not short enough or tight enough, most of them have too many buttons on their blouses done up, I am part of society and it causing me great upset to see so much flesh covered up.

Looks they'll soon be sporting that last style I posted....

Tight, skimpy clothing is out, say universities

Public and private universities across the country say they'll get tough on students wearing inappropriate clothing, to try to curb the rising number of revealing outfits seen on campuses. Vice-rectors for student affairs from 30 public and private universities met Deputy Education Minister Varakorn Samkoses on Monday to discuss measures to discourage students from dressing inappropriately. The universities agreed to join forces against such outfits. Revealing tops and shorts are particularly popular among female students, who are also often seen wearing tight skirts and undersized shirts, said Mr Varakorn. The meeting agreed to circulate a letter to presidents of all university councils urging them to address the problem seriously.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/27Jun2007_news12.php

Edited by sriracha john

Any uniform is inappropriate at that level of education........................ :o

Hear hear! I have never understood this either.

As for these stories they come out once a year, I think they are just an excuse for photographers and reporters to get on campus...