Shared hotel rooms unmarried Malaysia ...

BusyB

I am planning a few days in KL and surrounds later this month and considering taking a female friend with me.

There's no problems sharing hotel rooms with an unmarried companion in LOS obviously.

But what about Malaysia? Would we have to produce a marriage certificate, or can I book a hotel room and assume we can share and not have problems on check-in? Could we expect to be forced to buy separate rooms?

Anyone any (perhaps recent) experience?

(Mods: I looked at the Malaysia Forum, but it seems to be only sporadically used/visited - General Chat the last post is mid-August - so I thought perhaps more input from travelers here.)

Edited by BusyB
  • Haha 1

Well I have never travelled there with a female friend but have frequently brought one back with me after a night out and never had any issues, nor the need for any joiners fee/registration for that matter.  It ain't like Vietnam, even though my new friends often were.

• Like 1

last I heard they want copies of passports, marriage cert, wedding pics, guest list, brides maid statements, in law statements, proof of living together, neighbor interview, financial proof, bedroom pics (amateur video of marriage consummation an added bonus) etc.

a bit like Thailand really..

P.S (I have no idea if the above is true or not, i read it somewhere online a while back)...

Edited by bob smith

“There's no problems sharing hotel rooms with an unmarried companion in LOS obviously”

I wouldn’t say it’s obviously no problem in Thailand, there are a few hotels that don’t allow this, but they are few a far between.

Before my wife and were married we had a few holidays in Malaysia, we didn’t encounter any issues.

We also stayed together in Singapore, Vietnam, Laos and even the UAE, again with no problems.

You might encounter some resistance if you booked a room with a local lass, rather than a Thai, especially in Laos, Vietnam and the UAE.

I’ll move your question to the travel forum.

• Thanks 2