When is the right month to get the Influenza Vaccination in Chiang Mai…?

mikey88

The researchgate paper I posted earlier shows:

"Fig. 5 Mean monthly Influenza cases in the four regions of Thailand

from January 1993 – July 2007".

That data looks fairly solid for Type C and points strongly towards getting a Type C shot before the rainy season in May, this would satisfy a lot of posters who seem to believe that flu is a rainy season problem in Thailand.

The remaining open issue is the timing of Type A and infections by other strains. The end of the winter in Australia seems to coincide with other posters beliefs, including mine, that the flue virus from down under emerges in Asia around Sept/Oct which is the start of the cooler season in Thailand. That would point towards a second shot in September. Until I hear something more conclusive and convincing, it's May and September for me, do let us know if you find out more on this subject.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:46 PM, nigelforbes said:

The graphs on page 115 show that a majority of cases occur between June and October and that the peak is around August. But this is just for Type C and doesn't mention other strains.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/242396924_Analysis_of_Influenza_Cases_and_Seasonal_Index_in_Thailand

There are four curves for four regions in Thailand, and it's really difficult to figure out which one is for the North.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:14 AM, nigelforbes said:

I don't believe that's correct. The flue season in Asia is November through March, the ideal time to get the flu vaccine in Thailand is September. The vaccine we receive here is based on the flu virus that has circulated in the Southern Hemisphere between the preceding May and July. Flu season in the West is between December and March, the vaccine administered there is updated to include the mutations that have occurred in Asia previously. The entire process starts in the southern hemisphere, not in the West and not here.

Thanks Scott…