Strange but True ? - Advice needed

skippybangkok

HBa1C is a more reliable indicator, as Sheryl has said.

Based on my own research, I evolved a diet which has taken my blood sugar from prediabetic to normal. I discarded the more extreme positions expressed by "experts."

My diet is no sugar, low carbohydrate intake. No rice, potato, carrot. Absolutely no processed food. Spirits only, no beer.

I eat as much fish, eggs, meat, yoghurt  and cheese as I want, along with low carb vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, cucumber, okra and bamboo. Tomato, mushrooms, olives and pesto.

I lost 13 kg on said diet, to the point where I can break out with something like sausages and mash with onion gravy once or twice a week without affecting my body mass.

As a side benefit, my eGFR ( kidney function ) has improved by 20%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

HBa1C is a more reliable indicator

Unless it's tested by NHS in U.K. and you're over 40. Recently had mine tested for the first time and was over the limit. However, BMC reported in 2019 that the threshold was assessed using 18 to 40 year old's hence takes no account of normal increase with age. When I took their revised figures into account I passed with flying colours.

41 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Unless it's tested by NHS in U.K. and you're over 40. Recently had mine tested for the first time and was over the limit. However, BMC reported in 2019 that the threshold was assessed using 18 to 40 year old's hence takes no account of normal increase with age. When I took their revised figures into account I passed with flying colours.

so the test hasn't changed? just the range to compare with? i usually look online when comparing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

so the test hasn't changed? just the range to compare with? i usually look online when comparing

The practice nurse told me that they (my GP) use the limits preset into the hospital blood analysis program. She wasn't aware of the British Medical Council's recommendations but was, however, interested. I would guess that the limits the GP's use Nationally won't change until the hospital blood analysis software gets updated somehow? 

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

HBa1C is a more reliable indicator, as Sheryl has said.

Based on my own research, I evolved a diet which has taken my blood sugar from prediabetic to normal. I discarded the more extreme positions expressed by "experts."

My diet is no sugar, low carbohydrate intake. No rice, potato, carrot. Absolutely no processed food. Spirits only, no beer.

I eat as much fish, eggs, meat, yoghurt  and cheese as I want, along with low carb vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, cucumber, okra and bamboo. Tomato, mushrooms, olives and pesto.

I lost 13 kg on said diet, to the point where I can break out with something like sausages and mash with onion gravy once or twice a week without affecting my body mass.

As a side benefit, my eGFR ( kidney function ) has improved by 20%.

That diet is close to keto

43 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

The practice nurse told me that they (my GP) use the limits preset into the hospital blood analysis program. She wasn't aware of the British Medical Council's recommendations but was, however, interested. I would guess that the limits the GP's use Nationally won't change until the hospital blood analysis software gets updated somehow? 

the figure is the same though? test is the test and hasn't changed?

• Like 1

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160627095006.htm

international team of experts has found that older people with high levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL-C) live as long, and often longer, than their peers with low levels of LDL-C. The findings, resulting from an analysis of past studies involving more than 68,000 participants over 60 years of age, call into question the 'cholesterol hypothesis' which suggests people with high cholesterol are at risk of dying and need statin drugs to lower their cholesterol.

Edited by Sparktrader

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Cholesterol problems are mostly a myth.

People who smoke have bad breath.

Halitosis is awful, girls or boys will avoid you. I think Lacessit reported bad cholesterol going up but I'm not sure on that

Edited by scubascuba3

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes test is test.

Normal reference ranges are pre-set by individual labs. They usually do not take age nor ethnicity into account. You should always double check this. And the "high" or "low" notations are automated and unable to take the multipel factors that need to go into such a determination into account.

Friends of mine recently received lab results of a thyroid panel on a newborn baby,. The normal ranges shown on the report were for adults - newborn levels differ greatly.

Thai labs use an abnromally low cut off for AFP levels, thsi is because of high incidence of primary liver cancer in Thais but nto at all applicable to westreners.

Lab reports will automatically kick out "high" or "low" comments for a white blood ocunt differential even though overall WBC count was normal. Actually differential is not usually indicated if WBC count is normal .

etc etc etc

It is never as simple as just comparing your results to the normal range listed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Another myth. I dont do keto but i tried it. No difference. 

Shops have toothpaste and brushes. 

In the link above it said 38% of study group had halitosis, and if you've ever talked to someone with that it's truly toxic, hits you like a wet fish in the face, i doubt toothpaste helps much because it isn't the teeth

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The guy is not credible. His comments are complete nonsense.

Dr. McDougall explains that low-carb diets cause weight loss by making people sick. Ketosis happens when the body is starving to death which isn’t a sustainable state to be in.

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

The guy is not credible. His comments are complete nonsense.

Dr. McDougall explains that low-carb diets cause weight loss by making people sick. Ketosis happens when the body is starving to death which isn’t a sustainable state to be in.

Nonsense to you because you don't understand it, try reading the info

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Nothing has changed. The British Medical Council report was in 2019, however it doesn't seem to have filtered through to either my GP or caused any amendment to the hospital blood analysis software.   

From reducing inflammation to improving brain health, The Fast 800 diet expert explains the benefits of a keto diet and 5 easy ways to 'flip the metabolic switch'

Did you know that your body is like a hybrid car? It runs on two main energy sources: glucose and fat. Interestingly, we don’t need to rely on glucose (sugar); more and more research now points to fat being a far more efficient form of energy.

Switching from using glucose to fat (or ketones) as your fuel source is what I call 'flipping the metabolic switch'. This is when your body begins to burn fat efficiently, triggering weight loss. This process is also known as going into 'ketosis'.

https://www.getthegloss.com/health/the-5-2-diet/fast-800-keto-diet-dr-michael-mosley-explains

Michael Mosley is an expert on diet.

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Nonsense to you because you don't understand it, try reading the info

Dr. McDougall is a maverick who disagrees with most experts. He recommends a high starch, low fat diet with no dairy or animal foods and other prohibitions. Its severe restrictions make it nutritionally questionable and it has never been properly tested in a controlled study.

Harriet Hall on October 20, 2020

Edited by Sparktrader

8 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Dr. McDougall is a maverick who disagrees with most experts. He recommends a high starch, low fat diet with no dairy or animal foods and other prohibitions. Its severe restrictions make it nutritionally questionable and it has never been properly tested in a controlled study.

Harriet Hall on October 20, 2020

He's treated thousands of patients and it works, in that article he wants a study Atkins vs high carb low fat, of course Atkins institute isn't going to fund it

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

He's treated thousands of patients and it works, in that article he wants a study Atkins vs high carb low fat, of course Atkins institute isn't going to fund it

Your source is a quack. Not credible. Promotes a low quality low nutrition diet.

How embarrassing to promote this guy.

You should apologise.