Full Service/Large Pharmacy?

ASEANTraveler

I am newish to Thailand on a long-stay visa.  I take 2 medications:

1) propranolol 40 mg twice daily

2) spironolactone 25 mg daily

I will need to begin obtaining these in Thailand.  I imagine both are OTC here.  They are just basic cardiac drugs.

The small pharmacies everywhere in Thailand are great for quick items, and I use them myself if I need something on the run.

However, I would like to find a bigger, full service pharmacy to begin doing business with (i.e. full time pharmacists on staff if I have a medication question, the ability to order a specialty drug, if needed, at some point in the future, etc.)

Can someone point me in the direction of such a pharmacy? 

My mistake.  I apologize. I travel quite a bit, but Bangkok would be the best location, I guess.  And…I could always get a smallish supply (while in Bangkok) to take with me when out of  the city.

So yes, for now, how about “true,” full service pharmacies in metro Bangkok?

The first block of Ratchawithii Road west of the Victory Monument, on the north side of the street, has a series of semi-wholesale pharmacies.   Stock of generic and brand-name drugs will vary a bit, and the biggest isn't necessarily the best.   They also have all kinds of medical stuff, from tiny little pill mortars and empty capsules to wheelchairs and beds.  

-- Retiree 

PS: not to be confused with Ratchathewii District, which it is in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you are in the Sukhumvit area many people use Southeast pharmacy which is onSukhmvit between Soi 13 snd 15.  

The one just around the corner 10 meters inside Soi 15 is better nowadays.

Both can in no way be compared to Diamond Pharmacy, recommended by another poster. That's what I would call a full service pharmacy, very large too. But location is not very convenient. 

The pharmacies on Ratchawithii Rd, recommended by retiree, are something in between and probably the best for OP.

Mongkut Medical is the biggest place on Ratchawithii.  It looks like it's similar to Diamond Pharmacy, but is open Sunday, and is just around the corner from the SkyTrain stop.  The name isn't well-marked (it's under the awning), but it's the only wide storefront with two doors and lots of shiny stuff.   

Both of these have interior pix, and links to the street view. 

Mongkut Medical Supplies Co.

Diamond Pharmacy

-- Retiree 

Edited by retiree

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  Diamond Pharmacy seemed a good place to start, so I went there.  They had both of the meds I needed, prices seemed reasonable, and staff helpful. 

I did also ask at Diamond if they had a toenail fungus drug (topical lacquer) called efinaconazole — brand name Jublia. They did not have it, nor another similar drug kavaborole — brand name Kerydin.  

They did have another anti-fungal lacquer by Galderma called Loceryl.  This is approved in Europe, but not in the USA, so I am less familiar with it.  Anyone used Loceryl with any success?  The big problem with all these medications is penetration of the thickened nail bed, but anyone with comments on using Loceryl would be appreciated.  

Thanks

58 minutes ago, ASEANTraveler said:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  Diamond Pharmacy seemed a good place to start, so I went there.  They had both of the meds I needed, prices seemed reasonable, and staff helpful. 

I did also ask at Diamond if they had a toenail fungus drug (topical lacquer) called efinaconazole — brand name Jublia. They did not have it, nor another similar drug kavaborole — brand name Kerydin.  

They did have another anti-fungal lacquer by Galderma called Loceryl.  This is approved in Europe, but not in the USA, so I am less familiar with it.  Anyone used Loceryl with any success?  The big problem with all these medications is penetration of the thickened nail bed, but anyone with comments on using Loceryl would be appreciated.  

Thanks

for nail fungus read about grizeofulvine 500mg, boxes by 250 pills, but you can get in zip bags. Possibly also in blisters, more expensive. Withdrawn from some european countries sometimes ago.

Try if possible making a solution, cream of it would be possible.

On the margin - this medicine is also used experimentally for cancer

Edited by internationalism

6 hours ago, ASEANTraveler said:

anyone with comments on using Loceryl

Loceryl contains amorolfine. It's the standard lacquer in Germany and in Taiwan.

I used generic amorolfine lacquer  and I also used Loceryl lacquer, for fungus of the big toe nail.

It worked. Took a long time, though, many months.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the two American lacquers you mention, so I cannot compare them. 

Edited by Lorry

12 hours ago, Lorry said:

Loceryl contains amorolfine. It's the standard lacquer in Germany and in Taiwan.

I used generic amorolfine lacquer  and I also used Loceryl lacquer, for fungus of the big toe nail.

It worked. Took a long time, though, many months.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the two American lacquers you mention, so I cannot compare them. 

Follow up for Larry:

1) Sounds like the Loceryl is worth a try.  Like you, for me, the fungus

affects solely the Great (big) toenail.

2) Definitely agree that many months of treatment are required — 12 or more for the nail to regrow

3) How frequently did you apply the Loceryl and when (bedtime, etc?)  I only glanced at the box…it said something about 2x/week?  Was it “sticky” on your nail once dry (as in annoyingly sticky grabbing at your sock and attracting lint from it, etc.)?

This is kind of interesting (as long as it's your toe & not mine ???? ).  I think this is the most current big comparative study; note that amorolfine is seldom tested:  

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD012093.pub2/full 

Topical and device‐based treatments for fungal infections of the toenails

Conclusion seem to be that it's awfully tough to treat, but the OP's original stuff works best:  Efinaconazole (Jublia).  

I'm curious -- isn't this a canonical use case for trying an online Canadian pharmacy?  Apparently requires US prescription, but is far, far cheaper than US prices.  

-- Retiree 

Edited by retiree

There is nice lady on here named “Sheryl” who seems to have a lot of medical knowledge and helps many people with those topics.  To Retiree’s point, yes, nail fungus is notoriously difficult to treat.  Sheryl — in her previous posts — has done an excellent job of explaining why that is medically the case.  But, among the biggest factors, is that the fungus lives under the toenail and penetration of medications through the nail is difficult.  My dermatologist in the USA (dermatologists also treat nails in the USA) recommended to me the efinaconazole.  She is actually a Vietnamese woman (well educated physician) and told me the efinaconazole is available generically in Hanoi.  But…apparently not approved here.

As such, the Loceryl could be worth a try.  I hope Larry can tell us how often he applied the Loceryl and if it was “sticky.” One prescription product I tried previously in the USA was like a nail polish, but was so sticky.  I used to wear black socks everyday (business clothes) before I retired and by the end of the day, my toenail would have this black sock “lint” on it.  Terrible.

2 hours ago, ASEANTraveler said:

How frequently did you apply the Loceryl and when (bedtime, etc?)  I only glanced at the box…it said something about 2x/week?  Was it “sticky” on your nail once dry (as in annoyingly sticky grabbing at your sock and attracting lint from it, etc.)?

Once a week. Not always at the same time. 

I used a rasp/a file  before applying the lacquer. 

It's not sticky at all.

Neither Tavaborole (the correct name for Kerydil, kavaborole  is an altogether unrelated drug) nor Efinaconazole are available here.

Loceryl is the only thing I know of. Needs to be used for a long time, and filing the nail down first is important.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:00 AM, ricklev said:

I am a fan of Siam Pharmacy in Manhatun Plaza at the Ploenchit BTS station.  Large well stocked pharmacy with helpful friendly English speaking staff and low prices.  

This one is terrific -- the best I have seen in central Bangkok.