Looking For A Low Cost Detox/spa/retreat In Thailand

Weho

I think I remember a few years ago, reading about some kind of low cost spa/hotel/RETREAT on Samui, that had an inexpensive weight loss program, possibly colonics, healthy food, etc. Does anyone know if it still exists, or something else similar, anywhere in Thailand?

I hope it's air conditioned... it would be nice to be near a beach, and great to have a pool... Can be anywhere in Thailand...

I'm not looking for LUXURY, just something clean and REASONABLY priced for a one or two week type program.

Any help appreciated

I think I remember a few years ago, reading about some kind of low cost spa/hotel/RETREAT on Samui, that had an inexpensive weight loss program, possibly colonics, healthy food, etc. Does anyone know if it still exists, or something else similar, anywhere in Thailand?

I hope it's air conditioned... it would be nice to be near a beach, and great to have a pool... Can be anywhere in Thailand...

I'm not looking for LUXURY, just something clean and REASONABLY priced for a one or two week type program.

Any help appreciated

One of the 1st Spas on Samui at Lamai beach is called The Spa - They have just renovated but I still believe very good value and excellent service and food . They have one spa on the beach and a new one in the mountains . Many people go there and return to do the programs you ask about .

I can recommend Health Oasis on Samui. been there several times. Solid, no frills fasting/detox programs for as many days as you like, and it's right on the beach. Accomodation that comes free with the basic program is fan not a/c but can get a/c if you pay extra..but I don't think you will find itnece4ssary as being right on the beach there is always a nice breeze. Has a very good healthy restaurant for before and after fasting (or if you don't want to fast).

I'd second the Health Oasis Spa recommendation. The accomodation is simple, with fan and aircon rooms available. And, OK, there's a lot of New Age nonsense that you're supposed to swallow (e.g. boxes with batteries which "rid your body of worms"), but if you want supported "fasting" (actually involves drinking lots of diluted fruit juice, pills and cups of mud several times a day) and regular, self-administered colonics, it's fine. They also do "proper" fasting, but that's not the norm.

The website is at http://www.healthoasisresort.com/

It's not cheap by Thai standards, but is quite a bit cheaper than a 5* spa.

Oh, and it has a swimming pool, which is good because the beach isn't very good for swimming (too shallow and too many rocks).

Do these kind of things actually work? I have thought about doing them lately but my Doc in the States told me to beware because alot of these type of procedures can actually do more harm than good. Does anyone have good/bad experiences they would like to share?

Do these kind of things actually work? I have thought about doing them lately but my Doc in the States told me to beware because alot of these type of procedures can actually do more harm than good. Does anyone have good/bad experiences they would like to share?

Yes...like you, I was a skeptic. In fact, I went solely to lose weight the first time, not believing it would do anything else for me. But it did....I felt great coming out, and some minor health problems (gastric reflux, mild hypertension) resolved completely and stayed resolved for a good year. I was able to discontinue meds for both of those problems..of course, the resolution of the blood pressure may have been due to losing weight plus going off caffeine for a while (and resuming at a much lower level of consumption) and the gastric problems may have resolved as a result of giving my GI tract a rest and then resuming eating in smaller portions (easy to do after a fast) rather than a "detox" effect, but either way...it worked. And there is no denying that your skin glows and you feel altogether great at the end.

I am not sure which elements of the program achieve these effects or why. But it does make sense to me that our bodies may need periods of no or minimal food intake now and then...evolution has not designed us for non-stop plentiful food, that's why our bodies store fat in the first place...to see us through the times of no food. Suddenly in a very short period (in evolutionary terms) we no longer have these periods of famine. Our bodies have not had time to adjust. Hence the widespread problems of obesity, high cholesterol etc. And I think it possible that there are other negative health effects of not periodically burning off fat stores as nature intended us to do, although these have not been systematically studied or identified.

In short, experience has convinced me that there is something to it, and I now do these fasts annually.

• 4 months later...

Yes...like you, I was a skeptic. In fact, I went solely to lose weight the first time, not believing it would do anything else for me. But it did....I felt great coming out, and some minor health problems (gastric reflux, mild hypertension) resolved completely and stayed resolved for a good year. I was able to discontinue meds for both of those problems..of course, the resolution of the blood pressure may have been due to losing weight plus going off caffeine for a while (and resuming at a much lower level of consumption) and the gastric problems may have resolved as a result of giving my GI tract a rest and then resuming eating in smaller portions (easy to do after a fast) rather than a "detox" effect, but either way...it worked. And there is no denying that your skin glows and you feel altogether great at the end.

I am not sure which elements of the program achieve these effects or why. But it does make sense to me that our bodies may need periods of no or minimal food intake now and then...evolution has not designed us for non-stop plentiful food, that's why our bodies store fat in the first place...to see us through the times of no food. Suddenly in a very short period (in evolutionary terms) we no longer have these periods of famine. Our bodies have not had time to adjust. Hence the widespread problems of obesity, high cholesterol etc. And I think it possible that there are other negative health effects of not periodically burning off fat stores as nature intended us to do, although these have not been systematically studied or identified.

In short, experience has convinced me that there is something to it, and I now do these fasts annually.

How long was your fast? How much weight did you lose? Were you able to keep it off?