Thoughts on an unconventional build?

SenorTashi

I used those red bricks and cavity walls for my house build, because those bricks were all they had then. So you get about 1" of plaster on each side of the cavity bricks. Makes it fairly strong and good insulation wise. Now I would use a cavity wall of 7.5cm QCon blocks.

I also built cathedral ceilings...so house is pretty cool

20221017_083805.jpg

20221017_083825.jpg

20221017_083851.jpg

20221017_083926.jpg

20221017_084030.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I used those red bricks and cavity walls for my house build, because those bricks were all they had then. So you get about 1" of plaster on each side of the cavity bricks. Makes it fairly strong and good insulation wise. Now I would use a cavity wall of 7.5cm QCon blocks.

I also built cathedral ceilings...so house is pretty cool

20221017_083805.jpg

20221017_083825.jpg

20221017_083851.jpg

20221017_083926.jpg

20221017_084030.jpg

don't you get beasties living in that cavity?

1 hour ago, SenorTashi said:

the main thing I'm not sure about is how I'm going to start the foundations. All my previous experience has been to dig down to something solid but I don't this piece of land at all yet

That's how they do footing foundations all throughout Thailand:

footings.PNG

• Thumbs Up 1

Look about you.  There is a reason why most rural Thai houses now being built follow a similar design;-

That is re-in forced concrete frames with brick or blocks infilling.  R/C frames are also foundations, first beam is cast in the ground, about 30 cm deep.

Roof beams ae metal with corrugated covers.

This is a proven design, which woks and is reasonable cost, proven over time by many Thais, both builders and DIY.

Trying to improve on this might not be easy.  Why ry to re-invent the wheel, when the design is well proven?

Single floor, bungalow will need a high roof or be very hot in the day when the sun is on the roof..  2 Floors, at least the ground floor stays cool in the day.

Wood ,especially Teak wood, is a scarce commodity in Thailand whihs is why there are so few wooden housed..

I have used bamboo  for garden furniture and structures, and it does not last.  Rots or attached by insects.  probably why This only use it for rough building like chicken houses.

10 minutes ago, Robin said:

Look about you.  There is a reason why most rural Thai houses now being built follow a similar design;-

That is re-in forced concrete frames with brick or blocks infilling.  R/C frames are also foundations, first beam is cast in the ground, about 30 cm deep.

Roof beams ae metal with corrugated covers.

This is a proven design, which woks and is reasonable cost, proven over time by many Thais, both builders and DIY.

Trying to improve on this might not be easy.  Why ry to re-invent the wheel, when the design is well proven?

Single floor, bungalow will need a high roof or be very hot in the day when the sun is on the roof..  2 Floors, at least the ground floor stays cool in the day.

Wood ,especially Teak wood, is a scarce commodity in Thailand whihs is why there are so few wooden housed..

I have used bamboo  for garden furniture and structures, and it does not last.  Rots or attached by insects.  probably why This only use it for rough building like chicken houses.

I probably will end up following that plan (up to a point)

And I will build some eco buildings at some point too.

53 minutes ago, unheard said:

That's how they do footing foundations all throughout Thailand:

footings.PNG

While the pictured method is certainly used in some areas, it was similar in my build, it is not ubiquitous, there are other methods depending on the soil structure, one is pile driving, used extensively in Bangkok and in the flood plane areas, often by machines sometimes by manual labour 

you really need advice from the OrBorTor, a local architect or university 

for more information this is from Suttisak Soralump (PhD) of Geotechnical Engineering Division, Kasetsart University

In short, do your homework and get real advice from professionals who understand the detail of your soil structure or spend on something that seems a good idea and regrettably have to trash it.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, SenorTashi said:

Why does it have to be on stilts and how would you do that? I've always like stilt houses and wouldn't mind building with wooden stilts but if wood's out of the question, then it would have to be concrete, which is what I'm trying to avoid doing actually.

I had a look through that link I posted and they've built adobe houses in a few countries which get heavy rains. That was my first thought with building a clay house too. Clay is water resistant but it would need constant repairs i think. I built some stone walls in France using clay instead of mortar and it either dries up or it washes out. 

Those sack houses get covered in some kind of mortar though which would make it waterproof. Maybe add a bit of lime to stop it cracking?

The stilts are used to protect the brick against rain and pooled water. In theory you could build the wall a meter high with more traditional brick to avoid that issue. But that would likely affect the anesthetics of the design. And wood stilts would likely be unstable in the long run. 

Mortar helps, and there are finishes that can be applied to the outside of the brick. But, you still want to keep them relatively dry. 

Edited by spidermike007

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

While the pictured method is certainly used in some areas, it was similar in my build, it is not ubiquitous, there are other methods depending on the soil structure, one is pile driving, used extensively in Bangkok and in the flood plane areas

you really need advice from the OrBorTor, a local architect or university

He's in Chiang Rai - pile driving is probably out of question.

And yeah, he does need to talk to a local builder, the very least.

1 hour ago, unheard said:

He's in Chiang Rai - pile driving is probably out of question.

Just because he is in Chang Rai means nothing as to the need for piles. As is true for virtually any province in Thailand.

If you look at the Geotechnical Engineering Division map for Chang Rai, it is in the video I posted, you will see that there are large areas where piles may well be required.

The map does not have a level of detail required for actual planning but is certainly a good guide.047B3700-34DA-4BFB-94A6-0838BC23C1FC.thumb.jpeg.ce71aeae39aa5db4c059fa14de69a87b.jpeg

7 hours ago, unheard said:

Her dad has already built two substantial concrete buildings on the land. I've asked him about the specifics of the build twice but I don't think he's really understood me.

Don't panic guys. I'm not going to start erecting anything (ooer) until I know exactly what's what.  

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Just because he is in Chang Rai means nothing as to the need for piles. As is true for virtually any province in Thailand.

It means everything.

But you're right on the point that I should have used a better choice of wording.

Of course there are exceptions.

But overall?

Edited by unheard

1 hour ago, unheard said:

It means everything.

But you're right on the point that I should have used a better choice of wording.

Of course there are exceptions.

But overall?

There are large areas in Chang Rai that don’t need/can’t use a pile foundation. There are smaller but still significantly sizes areas where piles are required. So the name of the province meant nothing to the need for the correct foundation, it may be pads,  ground beams or piles.

The Bangkok metropolitan area is one of the few where the required foundations are known in almost all areas.

as I have said get professional advice, it’s available from the local government offices, it’s probably free from them, though tea is always welcome.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Encid said:

Have a look at some of the house plans and details on this government website.

That's an interesting website, so thanks. I've always wanted to build a floating house.

But then, I've got all kinds of mad ideas, which might not fly with the missus.

She's quite keen on the superadobe domes though. 

• 3 weeks later...