Any Experience with Older Kawasaki ER6N 650s?

AddyA

Anyone here know anything about the older Kawasaki ER6N 650cc, around 2011? There's a beauty for sale in Bangkok (see pic) that's only done 14,000 KM. It looks new in the photos, and seems to have a few aftermarket parts. But bikes always look great in phots, right.

I'm in Chiang Mai, so Bangers is quite a trek to go and view something that might not be as it seems. The bike does look interesting, so I may keep my eye on the local buy and sell bike forums. But I've never owned Kawasaki's before, hence this post.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone here had ridden these older models, and if yes, please share your experience.

Thank you.

Kawasaki ER6N 650cc.png

Edited by AddyA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunmaster said:

I bought a 2009 model in 2011 (I think), which had only 69km (!) on the clock. It was a beauty and was a great bike. Only sold it because I went for a more classic looking bike (Street Twin). 
The engine is well tested and reliable, handling is also very good. While it's probably on the heavier side compared to newer models, I was never bothered by it. The power was more than enough for my riding style. I did change to EBC sintered brake pads and a slip-on, which made quite a bit of difference.

All in all, if you like it, go for it. The bike itself is a great bike.

1403055869559.jpg

Great response, thank you, Sunmaster.

Your old bike looks beautiful. 

I have read some reviews, and there seemed to be an issue with the cracked welding around the engine mount. But I'm not sure if that was an issue with earlier bikes (pre-2020). Other than that, it does tend to get a decent write up. Any 2011 bike with only 14,000 KM on the clock is a rare find indeed. 

My problem is that I'm a perfectionist, so I don't buy secondhand bikes with visible chips and scratches, not even old ones. I have two bikes, including a 17-year-old Honda Wave with 80,000+ KM on the clock. Even that has no scratches, chips, or dents. 

So, I'd sooner wait until the right model comes along. If the ER6N 650 in the pic above was in Chiang Mai, I would have been to view it already. Not least because of its price tag of only 75,000 Baht ????

Edited by AddyA

I don't normally ride Big Bikes as I live on Samui as there are few places where you can go at a decent speed so now I just have an Airblade to nip down to 7/11.

But, occasionally I rent a Big Bike for a day and go round the island.

I only took a Ninja  650 once and I guess it was about a 2014 model.

It was powerful enough for the roads here, but it suffered from Vibration which transmitted itself through the handlebars and after only about 30K I had "White Finger" like symptoms, i.e., numbness in both hands and fingers.

I believe the newer models have sorted this problem, but you are looking at an old bike.

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting that, Troy Tempest.

I still have some reviews to get through, but the vibration issue is not something I've come across until now. I guess a test ride will tell me if it's a buying issue or not ????

• Like 1

My ER6F 2011. Runs like a clock. Was around 50K when I bought it 4 years ago, been on trips all over Thailand. Changed fuel pump & radiator cap(if engine starts getting warm often, this solves it often). Lowered the handlebar+ small cosmetic add-ons. Not to big in the city, not to small on longer trips. Regular oil & tire changes, and you're good.IMG_20220303_130452.thumb.jpg.e10c8651b3754f1fca86e76e7a379f0b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, ThirdCulture and Ro54 for responding.

This bike is starting to appeal to me more and more. I'd never even considered it before I saw that Facebook ad. Anyway, I'm going to keep a lookout for one locally. It seems like a no-brainer if I can find a well-taken-care-off second-hand model ????

49 minutes ago, mrfill said:

There was a major frame revision done starting from 2012, identifiable by looking at the seat (it is split into two) and the later ones were a bit lighter and had far less vibration through the bars. I had a 2012 faired model which I owned for 8 years. Great bike - very easy on fuel (65-70mpg), comfortable, fast (130mph) and with loads of torque. Never had a spot of trouble with it and only sold it as I wanted a change. No issues with any cracking. Before selling (and getting a ZZR600), I did try a 2019 model (then called Ninja 650). Bars were a bit lower and it was 20kg lighter which made it felt even more lively but by then I had decided to change to a 4-pot. They're quite basic, no-frills machines but I had 8 years of fun (and 2 trips to the Isle of Man) on mine

P1050335.JPG

Great post; thank you, MrFill.

I hear a lot about the reliability of this bike, which is reassuring. And I was going to look into fuel consumption and torque later today, but you beat me to it. Having a bit of decent torque makes riding the Chaing Mai loops a lot more fun ????

Personal opinion - a great bike, well suited to Thai roads.  I have a 2013 with, from memory, 35K on the clock.  I replaced the clutch recently but that was down to me ragging it around - with 'normal' riding it would probably have lasted many thousands of km more.

I think mine is possibly a slightly newer model than the 2011 you mention but its the same as the one in your photo.

I had a ZX9 in the UK so it took me a while to get used to the drop in power and the blast from the wind but it didn't take too long.

Whoops, closer look - no its not the same model.  As someone else said - try to find the 2012 model onwards - (twin tube, steel swingarm rather than alloy). The motors are the same though.

One cheap and sensible mod that gives you more leverage and a better riding position - fit some Versys handlebars - they are a little wider and they really do make a difference.

ER6.jpg

Edited by KhaoYai

Thank you, KhaoYai.

That's an impressive looking machine you've got there. I had no idea these bikes were so popular, but I'm beginning to see why. I still find it hard to believe that a 2011 model only has 12K on the clock. I'm assuming it's been used periodically to stop the parts ceasing up.

Here's a like to the ad in case anyone's interested. It's still for sale as of this morning.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1556621254618029/posts/3466184323661703/

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Whoops, closer look - no its not the same model.  As someone else said - try to find the 2012 model onwards - (twin tube, steel swingarm rather than alloy). The motors are the same though.

This one has come up for sale in the Chiang Mai Buy & Sell Facebook page, KhaoYai. It's a 2014 model, but it's not as attractive as the one in Bangkok. It also has higher mileage and a higher price tag. All that said, I haven't ruled it out just yet.

Kawasaki ER6N 650ccCM.png

8 hours ago, AddyA said:

This one has come up for sale in the Chiang Mai Buy & Sell Facebook page, KhaoYai. It's a 2014 model, but it's not as attractive as the one in Bangkok. It also has higher mileage and a higher price tag. All that said, I haven't ruled it out just yet.

Funnily enough, I bought mine from Chiang Mai - from a German guy who'd treat it like a baby and fitted all sorts of sensible mods + gave me a lot of spares and accessories too. He was off to work in the Philippines so I got the lot.

It wasn't the cheapest on the market, nor the lowest mileage and it also cost me a flight but I'm happy that I bought it and its served me well - not the slightest intention of parting with it.

I think I made a good choice - I'd had sports bikes for years in the UK but I didn't have a death wish.  I was a lunatic at 16 and I haven't changed %^ years later.  If I'd bought something like my old ZX9 in Thailand, I'd almost certainly have been cremated by now.  That's not to say the ER6 is a slouch but its no rocket ship - you do get used to it though.  All roads can be dangerous for bikers but the level of unpredictability and yes, I'll say it, stupidity is much higher in Thailand - mix that with a loony like me and well................best not.

Tramming on at 270kmh with your head down on Thai roads is just madness but I knew if I had 140bhp below me, I'd use it so the simple answer was not to have it available - I actually see the scenery when I go on tour now.

If you do want to do any touring around the national parks - take note that some are imposing noise limits now as those noisy Harley boys have been scaring the wildlife. And yes, they are enforcing it - I heard of a db meter being used at Khao Yai recently.  An ER6 with a standard pipe will pass the db test (can't remember the limit) but an after-market one might not.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AddyA said:

I wouldn't want those low bars.  Each to his own but wide/semi-high bars are much more comfortable on a long run.  They also give you a lot more leverage when you hit the inevitable pothole.

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Funnily enough, I bought mine from Chiang Mai - from a German guy who'd treat it like a baby and fitted all sorts of sensible mods + gave me a lot of spares and accessories too. He was off to work in the Philippines so I got the lot.

It wasn't the cheapest on the market, nor the lowest mileage and it also cost me a flight but I'm happy that I bought it and its served me well - not the slightest intention of parting with it.

I think I made a good choice - I'd had sports bikes for years in the UK but I didn't have a death wish.  I was a lunatic at 16 and I haven't changed %^ years later.  If I'd bought something like my old ZX9 in Thailand, I'd almost certainly have been cremated by now.  That's not to say the ER6 is a slouch but its no rocket ship - you do get used to it though.  All roads can be dangerous for bikers but the level of unpredictability and yes, I'll say it, stupidity is much higher in Thailand - mix that with a loony like me and well................best not.

Tramming on at 270kmh with your head down on Thai roads is just madness but I knew if I had 140bhp below me, I'd use it so the simple answer was not to have it available - I actually see the scenery when I go on tour now.

If you do want to do any touring around the national parks - take note that some are imposing noise limits now as those noisy Harley boys have been scaring the wildlife. And yes, they are enforcing it - I heard of a db meter being used at Khao Yai recently.  An ER6 with a standard pipe will pass the db test (can't remember the limit) but an after-market one might not.

Thank you, KhaoYai; great response, as usual ????

I was a bit of a lunatic in my teens, too. My Suzuki 250 X7 on L-plates put me in hospital for five months. I calmed down when I passed my test and started to ride bigger bikes. There didn't seem to be a need to show off anymore. 

I've also been riding bikes in Thailand for 20 years. I took a Honda 954, Yamaha R1, and a bunch of other big bikes through the streets of Bangkok many times. I haven't had an accident yet, but I am never complacent and constantly vigilant.

Thanks for pointing out the bars and an after-market pipe. These are not things I would have picked up on, so great advice ????

If any other Kawasaki ER6N 650 owners can add to KhaoYai's observations, please let me know. For example, what should I look for—or look out for—when I go to view these bikes? Asking the seller it it's as good as it looks in the photos is a bit shallow. 

Thanks, in advance.

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2022 at 8:37 AM, Ro54 said:

Regular oil & tire changes, and you're good.

I'd absolutely second that.  My bike seemed to be behaving slightly badly - resisting tipping in to corners etc.  That would normally point to a front end problem but couldn't find anything wrong there.  Shortly after that I found a slit in the rear tyre which was probably half way through its life - ordered a new Pirelli, fitted it and it was like riding a different bike, totally transformed.  I still can't work out why a worn rear would cause those problems though.

They seem quite sensitive to tyres and settings.  My old ZX9 seemed to be fine with whatever - of course it would 'let go' when the tyres were on their way out but the ER seems sensitive to everything. Not that its a problem, just make sure that your tyres, pressures and suspension settings are good and you'll be fine. It depends on your weight but I find the suspension set on the slightly soft side works for me (75kg)

I'd guess a lot of riders wouldn't notice the above so much but as a fellow 'ragger' you almost certainly will.

Someone mentioned vibrations - its a twin. They are never going to be as smooth as a 4 but its not something I've taken much notice of.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I'd absolutely second that.  My bike seemed to be behaving slightly badly - resisting tipping in to corners etc.  That would normally point to a front end problem but couldn't find anything wrong there.  Shortly after that I found a slit in the rear tyre which was probably half way through its life - ordered a new Pirelli, fitted it and it was like riding a different bike, totally transformed.  I still can't work out why a worn rear would cause those problems though.

They seem quite sensitive to tyres and settings.  My old ZX9 seemed to be fine with whatever - of course it would 'let go' when the tyres were on their way out but the ER seems sensitive to everything. Not that its a problem, just make sure that your tyres, pressures and suspension settings are good and you'll be fine. It depends on your weight but I find the suspension set on the slightly soft side works for me (75kg)

I'd guess a lot of riders wouldn't notice the above so much but as a fellow 'ragger' you almost certainly will.

Someone mentioned vibrations - its a twin. They are never going to be as smooth as a 4 but its not something I've taken much notice of.

I agree, too. Maintenance and personal care are critical. I even put Pirelli Diablo Rosso tires on my cheap Chinese bike, which made a world of difference. Never miss an oil change, either. Even my 17-year-old Honda Wave is immaculate both in appearance and running. Only a biker would understand this love for two wheels ????

• Like 1

I never owned this bike, but test driven a few of these, Ninja 650, Z650 and Versys 650..., the only advice I have is don't buy any of these unless you do a good test drive, take it up to 6000 or 7000rpm, and see how it feels....

For some reason some of them are very rough, loud and vibrate like hell, and some are okay. It maybe maintenance not done to the engine on time and ruined it, or I read some front-end panels issue etc., but when you test ride a few you instantly notice it ..., stay well away from vibey ones, hard to get rid of it...

Of course some people actually love the loud and vibrating engine, call it "character", but you might have different preferences like me, who knows.... ! ????

• Haha 1

My mate from the UK who has a motorbike tour business here in Thailand for 20yrs had 6 ER6N's, he couldn't fault them, but due to COVID, no customers and financial pressure he sold them all last year. He found them an excellent all round touring bike.

On 10/15/2022 at 12:19 PM, AddyA said:

Great response, thank you, Sunmaster.

Your old bike looks beautiful. 

I have read some reviews, and there seemed to be an issue with the cracked welding around the engine mount. But I'm not sure if that was an issue with earlier bikes (pre-2020). Other than that, it does tend to get a decent write up. Any 2011 bike with only 14,000 KM on the clock is a rare find indeed. 

My problem is that I'm a perfectionist, so I don't buy secondhand bikes with visible chips and scratches, not even old ones. I have two bikes, including a 17-year-old Honda Wave with 80,000+ KM on the clock. Even that has no scratches, chips, or dents. 

So, I'd sooner wait until the right model comes along. If the ER6N 650 in the pic above was in Chiang Mai, I would have been to view it already. Not least because of its price tag of only 75,000 Baht ????

This is my Z650, with ABS, bought it this year from a Canadian guy, its 2018, 14,000km on the clock,  150,000bt, if your budget can go to that maybe the way to go. Changed the tyres, this pick is with IRC rubber, went with Pirelli Diabalo Rosso, stick like s@!t to a blanket. 

20220311_153935.jpg

Edited by roo860
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Agusts said:

I never owned this bike, but test driven a few of these, Ninja 650, Z650 and Versys 650..., the only advice I have is don't buy any of these unless you do a good test drive, take it up to 6000 or 7000rpm, and see how it feels....

For some reason some of them are very rough, loud and vibrate like hell, and some are okay. It maybe maintenance not done to the engine on time and ruined it, or I read some front-end panels issue etc., but when you test ride a few you instantly notice it ..., stay well away from vibey ones, hard to get rid of it...

Of course some people actually love the loud and vibrating engine, call it "character", but you might have different preferences like me, who knows.... ! ????

Thank you, Agusts ????

13 hours ago, roo860 said:

My mate from the UK who has a motorbike tour business here in Thailand for 20yrs had 6 ER6N's, he couldn't fault them, but due to COVID, no customers and financial pressure he sold them all last year. He found them an excellent all round touring bike.

Yes, this is what I've been hearing a lot, roo860.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, roo860 said:

This is my Z650, with ABS, bought it this year from a Canadian guy, its 2018, 14,000km on the clock,  150,000bt, if your budget can go to that maybe the way to go. Changed the tyres, this pick is with IRC rubber, went with Pirelli Diabalo Rosso, stick like s@!t to a blanket. 

20220311_153935.jpg

That's another beauty, roo860. Looks super comfortable, too. 

I want to stay under 100,000 for an older model, if I can as I already have two smaller bikes to care for. I'm prepared to wait for the right one to come along. That said, it would be nice to have something beefy now that the high season has begun.

I agree about the Pirelli Diabalo Rossos. I even put them on my cheap Chinese bike ????

Pirelli Diabalo Rosso.png

• Thumbs Up 1