Does city water require a dedicated large metal filter tank?

elena edwards

Several years ago I changed from using well water needing a filter tank to city water - do I still need a filter tank as well as a storage tank to ensure clean, bug-free water? I admit it's a stupid question as it would seem the local water company is well regarded - but having had an e-coli bladder infection recently, I'd like to be sure! Also, the old metal filter tank is now showing signs of rust.....eeeuch!

@elena edwards

Get a new plastic tank and a pump.

Also make a habit of periodically (depending on water quality) draining sediments accumulated at the bottom of the tank.

You can also purchase a Reverse Osmosis filtration system installed under the kitchen counter. It will remove more than 99% of impurities, including all bacteria.

It's always better to pull the water from the storage tank through a sand filter that is possible to be backwashed after some time period.

Even if the municipality water is considered to be clean, a longer storage will cause some kind of change and sediment.  The water is no pure H2O, certain reactions will occur.

The ones who do have such filter (for the clean municipality water) will confirm that once backwashed the cleaning discharge shows certain discoloration of the water.  Then, they will feel satisfied with their decision to have the filter: "OMG, this dirt would get in my water system?".

And once we have the water storage tank it is advisable to frequently add a bit of chlorine.  Not the special one for swimming pools but an easy one, calcium hypochlorite, without cyanuric acid stabilizer.  It will help to clear up some kinds of bacteria that at a longer storage in warmer countries could come up.