Permanent Residencie

Next year(3 years on a row Non0) i will apply for a permanent residencie for me and my son.(born here)

do i got it right?

7600 bath to apply

191.000+ for granting

son 95000+ for granting?

Do i have to read and write Thai?

can anybody show me a good link in this matter.

thanks a million

Next year(3 years on a row Non0) i will apply for a permanent residencie for me and my son.(born here)

do i got it right?

7600 bath to apply

191.000+ for granting

son 95000+ for granting?

thanks a million

For starters, it might be a good idea to stop using 'permanent' in the context of a Residency Permit. They are not permanent and can be 'lost' in certain circumstances.

- You leave and return without a reentry permit .. you lose it.

- You stay away from LOS for more than 1 year .. ditto

- And I wouldn't doubt if there might be a few more

I have know 2 people who had "PR" and lost it. I don't know why people here insist on calling a RP "permanent" when they should know better.

For starters, it might be a good idea to stop using 'permanent' in the context of a Residency Permit. They are not permanent and can be 'lost' in certain circumstances.

I have know 2 people who had "PR" and lost it. I don't know why people here insist on calling a RP "permanent" when they should know better.

What a silly response. PR is the correct term. It allows the holder permanent residence in the Kingdom. Yes, it can be lost under certain circumstances - but one does not define it by such exceptions. You seem somewhat bitter and a touch twisted about the topic of Permanent Residence. One suspects that you may not qualify for consideration, so you feel the need to have a hissy fit about nomenclature.

To the OP, I do suggest that you read Camerata's excellent thread about PR. One is unlikely to find a more comprehensive discussion on the topic elsewhere.

Edited by TheChiefJustice

I must admit that the hassle / advantages argument makes me wonder if it's really worth it.

It is invaluable if one wishes to apply for Thai citizenship, which I did at the end of last year. Unless you are a foreign woman married to a Thai man, you are not able to submit a citizenship application with the Special Branch unless you have Permanent Residence.

do i got it right?

7600 bath to apply

191.000+ for granting

son 95000+ for granting?

thanks a million

Well, if we are going to be needlessly pedantic....

Idefinite Leave to Remain in the UK can be lost if one remains outside of the UK for more than 2 years.

Permanent Residency in Australia can be lost if the minister decides to revoke your visa on "character grounds", as quite a few people who have lived in Australia all their lives have found out....

PR in Thailand is just that, if you stay within the law and maintain Thailand as your main home, the Thai government is not going to bother you.

I agree, a truly strange Post from “klickster”, after all, anyone can have even their Passport revoked under certain circumstances.

Plus I find it hard to believe that anyone who has gone through the Permanent Residence process in Thailand and ultimately been successful would allow that status to lapse unless under truly extreme circumstances; certainly the two possibilities listed by “klickster” would easily be avoided by anyone who understands the system.

To the OP – you say your son was born here, is / was one of his Parents a Thai National, if so he can apply for Thai Citizenship immediately without going through the Permanent Residence procedure. (Far cheaper too!).

Patrick

• 1 month later...
I agree, a truly strange Post from “klickster”, after all, anyone can have even their Passport revoked under certain circumstances.

What is 'truly strange' about setting out the caveats concerning a residency permit for those who may believe that it is permanent?

Plus I find it hard to believe that anyone who has gone through the Permanent Residence process in Thailand and ultimately been successful would allow that status to lapse unless under truly extreme circumstances; certainly the two possibilities listed by “klickster” would easily be avoided by anyone who understands the system.

Well, I can name names .. PM me for them if you like

One was required by some circumstance to stay out of Thailand for 1 year.

Another though he had a rentry visa, but didn't. Maybe 1 year had passed.

certainly the two possibilities listed by “klickster” would easily be avoided by anyone who understands the system.

Please explain how one would not lose a residency permit under those circumstances.