New rule for cash deposit machines from November 15th

webfact

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How come I (a foreigner) can deposit cash into my account using a CDM and my ATM, then?   Did it again last week using an on-street Krungsri CDM.   A Thai ID is not required.  

Louie, it's the law, as of 11 Nov 2023.  Maybe the rollout of the new ATMs/software is slow, but eventually it will be everywhere.

I asked in all of my banks, and was told that foreigners must now go to a teller and provide their passport...not even a passport copy.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Walker88 said:
10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That is incorrect, foreigners can use CDMs with their ATM card.  No requirement to make a counter deposit.

Apparently you are in a different Thailand than I am, or you are not in Thailand at all.

No, I'm in the same Thailand and I deposited cash in a Silom Road, Bangkok, Krungsri CDM last week using my ATM card and PIN that identifies me.

For those who think they know everything, go into Siam Paragon, EmQuartier, BTS Stations....even K-Bank branches in various parts of Bangkok, and try to deposit to your account via the CDM/ATM.

Perhaps those residing in Nakhon Nowhere, the changes are slow to be introduced, but in Bangkok the law is fully enforced.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Walker88 said:
17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How come I (a foreigner) can deposit cash into my account using a CDM and my ATM, then?   Did it again last week using an on-street Krungsri CDM.   A Thai ID is not required.  

Louie, it's the law, as of 11 Nov 2023.  Maybe the rollout of the new ATMs/software is slow, but eventually it will be everywhere.

I asked in all of my banks, and was told that foreigners must now go to a teller and provide their passport...not even a passport copy.

Walkerie, the law that was introduced now prevents unidentified cash deposits that, up to then, could be made just using an account number.

I didn't need to ask Krungsri staff, I just used the CDM on Silom that was happy to welcome me, my ATM card and my cash.  Last week.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

5 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

For those who think they know everything, go into Siam Paragon, EmQuartier, BTS Stations....even K-Bank branches in various parts of Bangkok, and try to deposit to your account via the CDM/ATM.

Perhaps those residing in Nakhon Nowhere, the changes are slow to be introduced, but in Bangkok the law is fully enforced.

"For those who think that they know everything" try to deposit cash in a Krungsri CDM on Silom Road, Bangkok, and you'll be able to do so with your card.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I'm in the same Thailand and I deposited cash in a Silom Road, Bangkok, Krungsri CDM last week using my ATM card and PIN that identifies me.

I wonder if this is one of the times that they haven't quite got it dialed in yet and it asks for a Thai ID #, but it should really ask for Thai ID# or PIN, depending on context? 

Please post back next time you try it and let us know if there's any changes.

On 10/18/2022 at 12:51 AM, phetphet said:

So now the banks will charge you to give them money? Amazing!

possibly you don't understand how banks work. you are not giving them money, you are asking them to look after your money to make management of your money more convenient and efficient, e.g. you can use bank cars for purchases and don't have to carry a lot of cash... etc.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Walker88 said:

I suspect those machines have merely been overlooked, or K-bank is waiting for delivery of new ones.

I first noticed it in BTS stations, but it was the same at my banks (K-Bank, SCB & Bangkok Bank) in shopping malls such as Siam Paragon and EmQuartier.

The tellers at K-bank told me that it is now the law, ostensibly aimed at money laundering. Ask any Thai person, and they will tell you they now must enter their Thai ID #. Before 11 Nov '23, all anyone needed was the bank account number into which they wanted to deposit funds.

Enjoy it while you can. Soon enough you'll be in a bank, taking a number, and then sitting and waiting for the next available teller to call you.

I have seen many of these K-Bank deposit machines around Pattaya, and in ALL the major shopping malls - nothing had been changed this month. If they were looking for replacements, you'd expect the major shopping malls to be first on the list.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, it is what it is said:

possibly you don't understand how banks work. you are not giving them money, you are asking them to look after your money to make management of your money more convenient and efficient, e.g. you can use bank cars for purchases and don't have to carry a lot of cash... etc.

When you deposit money you are lending them money AND the ability to lend out 900% of your deposit. It's called the fractional reserve banking system. They need your deposits.

If there is a run on the bank and everyone wants their money back, it's unlikely they can even cover 10% of total deposits.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

When you deposit money you are lending them money AND the ability to lend out 900% of your deposit. It's called the fractional reverse banking system. They need your deposits.

If there is a run on the bank and everyone wants their money back, it's unlikely they can even cover 10% of total deposits.

"Fractional Reserve"  banking.

The first recorded use of fractional reserve banking was in medieval Italy. At this time, banks would often issue loans based on the value of gold or silver deposits.  

Depositors are these days usually covered by a depositor protection scheme. Unless you are daft enough to hold deposits larger than the guarantee mount.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JensenZ said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it is not called that.

Apologies Mr. Grammar Nazi.

I made reference only to an incorrect assertion.   You brought up grammar.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I made no reference to grammar, only an incorrect assertion.   You brought up grammar.

Give it a break! You were being a smarta**. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JensenZ said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I made no reference to grammar, only an incorrect assertion.   You brought up grammar.

Give it a break! You were being a smarta**. 

That's just your interpretation of my pointing out the ignorance of your "fractional reverse" comment.   

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If I made any comment that was not correct please point it out.  By the way, you do not represent Webfact, the OP.

That is funny. Had to laugh.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

It’s your poor attitude, your boorish, bombastic need to correct

Isn't expressing an opinion (even if it differed from most) and correcting incorrect information allowed on this forum?   Should false information go uncontested?  Is your comment any less "boorish" or your "attitude" any better than anyone else's? 

If you don't approve of my comments you don't have to read them or respond to them.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Isn't expressing an opinion (even if it differed from most) and correcting incorrect information allowed on this forum?   Should false information go uncontested?  Is your comment any less "boorish" or your "attitude" any better than anyone else's? 

If you don't approve of my comments you don't have to read them or respond to them.

Circa 15% of the posts on this thread by someone point scoring and trying niggle other posters who are actually addressing the OP. 
Theres only a small reprieve if I put you on ignore anyway because you’re almost at your reincarnation point. 
Just try and play nice huh ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Expand  

Circa 15% of the posts on this thread by someone point scoring and trying niggle other posters who are actually addressing the OP. 
Theres only a small reprieve if I put you on ignore anyway because you’re almost at your reincarnation point. 
Just try and play nice huh ?

Thanks for your valuable statistics and your opinion.  So appreciated. 

Do you think that it is ok to instruct other members how to post even if you, in some grandiose way, claim that they are not "playing nice"...in your subjective opinion.  And do you think that anyone has to take notice of your demands?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thanks for your valuable statistics and your opinion.  So appreciated. 

Do you think that it is ok to instruct other members how to post even if you, in some grandiose way, claim that they are not "playing nice"...in your subjective opinion.  And do you think that anyone has to take notice of your demands?

Introspection would be preferable to appreciation but thank you.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/18/2022 at 2:21 AM, hotandsticky said:

You are asking them to provide the service of putting money into an account, That costs money from the use of either labour and/or equipment.

Yes but whilst they hold your money they are using it (overnight lending, lending your money to oher people etc)

• Like 1