Monk drunk with an axe ordered back to the temple - says he drank beer for his blood pressure and diabetes

webfact

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Beer is probably one of the worst dietary items for diabetes.

You are right. But nothing beats Swiss Cheese Fondue. Own experience. Fortunately an item that is less available to the Thai populace. There seems to be some kind of nasty law saying that what is tasty is not healthy and vice versa.

• Haha 1

The Dharma is falling apart in Thailand.  I'm seeing more and more and more instances of drunk monks, as well as monks motivated by money.
I personally know quite a few Thai monks.  Some are the real deal.  But for many it's a way to make money.  When you think like that, it's not much of a step to consider boozing it up as being OK.

Sad.  There are very few true monks who strictly follow the Vinayas. Which is indicative of the destruction of The Dharma. 

Annica.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Basically this is an unemployable bum that has found he can live an easy life in the monkhood, 

Many times monkhood does not equate with an "easy" life as we normally define it. Quite the extreme opposite as demonstrated for example by the life within Wat Pah Pong - the Forest Monastery in NE Thailand. https://www.watnongpahpong.org/

As we all know there are some controversial issues concerning monkhood in Thailand. But it must be noted that It is not everywhere the same.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

You are right. But nothing beats Swiss Cheese Fondue. Own experience. Fortunately an item that is less available to the Thai populace. There seems to be some kind of nasty law saying that what is tasty is not healthy and vice versa.

There's an old saying - everything I like is either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

I haven't tried Swiss Cheese Fondue.

Personal experience - went on a reduced carb diet some months ago.

No potato, carrot, rice, bread. Only vegetables growing above ground. Zero sugar. Could still have whisky once a week. No processed foods such as spaghetti and biscuits.

OTOH, as much meat and fish as I want. Medium amount of fruit, eggs for breakfast every day.

Cheese - brie, camembert, Mainland Vintage, parmesan and cream cheese all OK.

I've lost 13 kg on said diet, and now find I can cast off the shackles a couple of times a week with a spag bol or bangers and mash. It's a matter of training my body to burn fat instead of sugar.

Sorry, off topic.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, moogradod said:

Many times monkhood does not equate with an "easy" life as we normally define it. Quite the extreme opposite as demonstrated for example by the life within Wat Pah Pong - the Forest Monastery in NE Thailand. https://www.watnongpahpong.org/

As we all know there are some controversial issues concerning monkhood in Thailand. But it must be noted that It is not everywhere the same.

Exactly.  They, Wat Pah Pong, have a strict policy even for staying there for lay people.  There are one or two other temples around with similar policies, but IMHO, Wat Pah Pong sets the bar.