How much do the average Thai person earn ?

Baron Samedi

Interesting article published a few days ago on this very topic by The Nation Thailand.

To sum up:

- Average wage in urban areas : 12018 THB

- Average wage in rural areas : 8130 THB

- 4.4 million Thais live on less than 2762 THB (6.3% of the population)

Source : The Nation Thailand

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/40021531

@metisdead Is it ok like this ?

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

Interesting article published a few days ago on this very topic by The Nation Thailand.

To sum up:

"Urban residents, meanwhile, earned an average of 12,018 baht per month in 2021"

Given the huge disparity in earnings between Bangkok and say Chiang Mai, both urban areas, I fail to understand how a national urban average is meaningful or useful.

2 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

To sum up:

2762  bht. How they do it?

My girlfriend, 28/Bachelor degree in accounting, works as a logistics department assistant manager/supervisor with 15 employees under her at a fairly large and well known coconut product export company located just outside of BKK. Shm makes 18,000-20,000ish/month depending on overtime and a few other extras. Her only real expense besides food is her (clean, basic) room for 3,000/month near the office.

She never asks for money and is quite a proud person, but I wan to supplement her income a bit more so that her small investment portfolio (not a dummy, very frugal and is learning about basic investment strategies/vehicles) can be increased.

How much do you folks think is "reasonable" ......I do really like her (I live in BKK and we see each other on most weekends, for about the last year and a half) and think there may be a possibility of marriage at some point, but that is not a primary concern. I just want to be help a good person improve her "wealth accumulation" a little as I am fortunate enough to do so. 

1) 5k

2) 10k

3) 15k

4) more

5) match whatever her monthly salary is

6) zero, don't ruin a good thing

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

My girlfriend, 28/Bachelor degree in accounting, works as a logistics department assistant manager/supervisor with 15 employees under her at a fairly large and well known coconut product export company located just outside of BKK. Shm makes 18,000-20,000ish/month depending on overtime and a few other extras. Her only real expense besides food is her (clean, basic) room for 3,000/month near the office.

She never asks for money and is quite a proud person, but I wan to supplement her income a bit more so that her small investment portfolio (not a dummy, very frugal and is learning about basic investment strategies/vehicles) can be increased.

How much do you folks think is "reasonable" ......I do really like her (I live in BKK and we see each other on most weekends, for about the last year and a half) and think there may be a possibility of marriage at some point, but that is not a primary concern. I just want to be help a good person improve her "wealth accumulation" a little as I am fortunate enough to do so. 

1) 5k

2) 10k

3) 15k

4) more

Just get her a new job. That’s a VERY low salary for the job role and responsibilities you are talking about. 

4 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

1) 5k

2) 10k

3) 15k

4) more

Double her salary so she can quit her job.

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2022 at 9:37 PM, scorecard said:
On 10/18/2022 at 8:27 PM, JeffersLos said:

Thai spouse and siblings (most are settled in Bangkok) earn between 150,000-350,000THB per month. 

Their friends from school, university and work would presumably earn around the same, but I (or we) have never asked or really wondered. 

These numbers are not typical, far from it. 

Neither are they atypical..... It just depends from which socio-economic demographic the information is sourced... 

The Op has also asked for Middle and Upper Class... 

Many of our friends (Wife’s and mine) are earning this sort of money... Lawyers, Doctors, MC’s (high end) etc. The Private business owners are earning ridiculous amounts...

Many are earning a lot less and struggling with a crappy 30,000 per month salary.

Some are outliving their ‘official’ salary by a factor of 10x.... (paid an official government salary yet driving around in a 4MB Merc !).

It seems to irk some people that there are a lot of Thai’s who earn rather a lot of money... seems to dent their superiority complex !!... 

On 11/3/2022 at 11:01 AM, Sandboxer said:

My daughter 24/Bachelor in Business Studies and foreign tourism, works as a logistics department assistant.

20kbht/month plus an apartment in Nakon Sawan (she has to pay the utilities).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1