How much do the average Thai person earn ?

Baron Samedi

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

Then you are in a very small slice of the Industry. Great for you and the few in your company but i don't your farther above the norm for most all working thai's

Sure it will differ from industry to industry... i know a few guys in the office block here who work on the tech side of online companies and some of their senior guys (IT Geeks) are on up to 800K basic.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dan O said:

That's certainly not the norm or common salary ranges and mostly due to being a foreign owned company. 

Its about the same as here where I work.

Techs are on a little less than 17 though.... but that is offset with 2 free meals per day, 50b per day fuel allowance, free private health insurance and a generous bonus scheme.

7 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Sure it will differ from industry to industry... i know a few guys in the office block here who work on the tech side of online companies and some of their senior guys (IT Geeks) are on up to 800K basic.

Again a small slice of the workforce and has nothing to do with the OP on average salaries. Good for you and the few that are on that gravy train

On 10/19/2022 at 4:57 AM, gomangosteen said:

It's only last week there was a thread on average earnings. Again 

Coming to a forum of primarily unemployed/retired expats ... you'll get nothing but vague and wildly inaccurate, exaggerated anecdotal tales of someone who know someone who earns xxx.

The Bank of Thailand provides quarterly statistics https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/ReportPage.aspx?reportID=667&language=eng from 2001 to 2022, but any suggestions of breaking down into your classes and regions ... well your being rather fanciful there.

I'd suggest the 'upper class' as you put it don't often earn a weekly taxable wage, rather take drawings from their business income.

My partner's employers recently bought his & hers Porsche Panameras, around 20 million - money like that doesn't come from weekly wages. I wouldn't consider them upper class, just successful in business.

BTW, we are 'eastern' - if you do publish your answers, the eastern seaboard Chonburi Rayong, Chanthaburi etc are a significant earnings sector of the country's economy. 

A further note: any capital gain or investment income from sources outside Thailand is not subject to (Thailand) taxation unless a resident taxpayer remitted the process into Thailand within the same calendar year it is received.

The manner of foreign remission to Thailand might be surreptitious enough to evade detection by the Thai government. 

23 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

800k a month, your serious? That is CEO level compensation over 9 Mthb a uear or 370k USD a year. Never heard of an IT guy making that much. My son-in-law is a senior IT guy fir a computer company in Pirtland he makes around 140k USD a year and he has been doing it for over 10 years.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

800k a month, your serious? That is CEO level compensation over 9 Mthb a uear or 370k USD a year. Never heard of an IT guy making that much. My son-in-law is a senior IT guy fir a computer company in Pirtland he makes around 140k USD a year and he has been doing it for over 10 years.

Yes 100% serious. I know it for a fact. Complete tight ass mind- typical IT geek as well (Italian) Pretty ugly looking and dresses like a tramp (but lovely gf). Anyway its still a decent wedge about 253K USD before tax at todays exchange rate, so not crazy. Its a global company- presumably he works not just on Thailand stuff but on global things. Irrelevant where he sits, they pay for his skills.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 12:27 AM, JeffersLos said:

Thai spouse and siblings (most are settled in Bangkok) earn between 150,000-350,000THB per month. 

Their friends from school, university and work would presumably earn around the same, but I (or we) have never asked or really wondered. 

I know a couple of Thai guys working in Bangkok who are earning in the 200K+ bracket.

I think most professional Thais are on at least 80-100K 

19 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Yes 100% serious. I know it for a fact. Complete tight ass mind- typical IT geek as well (Italian) Pretty ugly looking and dresses like a tramp (but lovely gf). Anyway its still a decent wedge about 253K USD before tax at todays exchange rate, so not crazy. Its a global company- presumably he works not just on Thailand stuff but on global things. Irrelevant where he sits, they pay for his skills.

I know a guy with a similiar story. He was a friend I met at language school and he then ended up being my neighbor.  French.  Deployed new servers for Philip Morris.  15 or so years ago he was paid in Swiss francs but at the time I calculated the equivalent of 250K USD.  He worked a regular 9 to 5 hours and was constantly on his phone and computer (both of which were supplied by PM).  He dressed like a tramp also, definitely even worse than me if that is possible, worked on a 500 baht rubber tree wood table and sat on a 150 baht plastic chair.  He was not yet 50 so could not get Non O and was on ED visas.  He left for Sinnookville when the Junta here started the crackdown on ED visas and required record of actual class attendance.

25 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I know a couple of Thai guys working in Bangkok who are earning in the 200K+ bracket.

I think most professional Thais are on at least 80-100K 

A number of the fishermen I know in my village here wait each year for the krill (Thais call it Koy) run.  Krill are a small shrimp (that whales eat) and around mid october each year they leave deep water and make their way to the shallow waters just off the beaches along the west coast to spawn.  The fishermen put two 8-10 meter golden bamboo poles in a v shape on the front of their boats, and between the v string a massive fine hole net.  They drive back and forth in the shallow water just out from the beach and collect metric tonnes of krill.  Thais dry it to put in som tam (you might have seen the little orange dried shrimp at the markets already) but the bulk of it is made into gapee.  That stinky fish smelling reddish brown paste you see them adding to most dishes.  Fresh Koy is also sometimes made into "pancakes" with tempura batter and then fried (very tasty).

They litterally fill their boats until they are nearly sinking with just an inch or so of freeboard remaining.  Then they beach and put the krill into 50kg bags.  Last year the market price was 50 baht a kilo so a single bag is worth 2k5 baht.

A friend of mine last year collected 4 metric tonnes of krill last year in three days....200K THB.

For about 70 percent of the fishermen in my village here that is the ONLY work they do all year.  Just net krill for a week or so...and then have enough money to live for the rest of the year.  They then swing in hammocks for the other 50 weeks of the year.

It is an environmental disaster.  Krill is the absolute cornerstone of the ocean food chain.  But of course there is zero government intervention or regulation.  

Last year during the run I was down on the beach near my house and I counted 63 boats netting a school of krill near the beach.  This year there will be more, because the market price will be higher than last year and more and more Thais are moving back into fishing because the gravy train of driving taxis in Phuket was derailed by covid.

Edited by Adumbration

On 10/19/2022 at 12:27 AM, JeffersLos said:

Thai spouse and siblings (most are settled in Bangkok) earn between 150,000-350,000THB per month. 

Their friends from school, university and work would presumably earn around the same, but I (or we) have never asked or really wondered. 

I doubt that seriously unless they have there own businesses.  laborers at our factory start at 300B/day.  New engineers, around 15-20k/month.  10+ year engineers, 40-65k/month.  Managers, 80K-120K.  Unless your friends have their own business or managers, I don't they make anything close to that.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, youngster30uk said:

Your figures are nonesense

USA According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median wage for workers in the United States in the second quarter of 2022 was about $1,041 per week or $54,132 per year (assuming 52 weeks of work per year). Wages were 5.2% higher than a year earlier.19 Sept 2022

US 170K  Baht

1. What is the Average UK Salary in 2021/2022? According to the ONS, in 2021 the average UK salary was £38,131 = 3177 

UK 136k  Baht

I suggest you go back to school an learn the difference between median and average before calling my post nonsense.

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

We don't need all this 5G and supercars. For the most part we are not any more happy than when we are looking after our pets or growing our food.

This idea that modern technology makes us happy is a myth.

Get with nature I say. Love the beauty around us. Ditch the phone.

How are you post on the message?

Telepathy?

Perhaps you could do without it but the majority of people would be lost without it. 

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2022 at 8:02 AM, 2baht said:

I would imagine on a nationwide basis the average would be somewhere around 60.000 baht per month. The top one percent of the population controls 66% of the wealth.

Definitively not????????????

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 11:07 AM, GarryP said:

I'd check out median salaries rather than average. It gives a better picture. 

How much does a person working in a car/ motorbike wash earn? They seem to work really hard in a full says shift, although between about November to April, their work will plummet a bit because of the good weather.

The average salary in Thailand for 2022 is almost 15k baht (14892.27 baht). However that is the whole country so in Bangkok it's  bit higher and up in Isaan it is lower.

When someone earlier wrote around 25k I would say that is even high for a newly graduated from university since they have around 20-25k as a starting salary.

4 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

You're paying ~50k/year USD for a data analyst in Bangkok? That's probably way too much. According to Indeed the average salary in the US is 66k. 

Firstly, I'm not paying anything; my clients are. Secondly 140k THB per month works out as $44,000 per year. 150k THB per month is $47k so not sure where you are getting your $50k from.
Also, the $66k is indeed probably an average over the whole of the US but try finding a Data Analyst for that in Silicon Valley or New York. I think you'll find it increases quite dramatically for major metropolitan centres (which of course Bangkok is).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Firstly, I'm not paying anything; my clients are. Secondly 140k THB per month works out as $44,000 per year. 150k THB per month is $47k so not sure where you are getting your $50k from.

Sorry I was using a more normal currency rate since it's so high right now and likely to come down.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

One is a scavenger and earns about 200 baht a day if he can stay sober; the other is the head policeman of 7 provinces and earns about 100,000,000 a year. 

8 million/month??? Now that's pure corruption, especially given that police in Thailand are nearly worthless.

36 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Also, the $66k is indeed probably an average over the whole of the US but try finding a Data Analyst for that in Silicon Valley or New York. I think you'll find it increases quite dramatically for major metropolitan centres (which of course Bangkok is).

Sorry forgot to post this to give an example  

https://www.indeed.com/career/data-analyst/salaries/San-Francisco--CA?&aceid=&kw=adwords_c_9099621460_15516767951_&sid=us_googconthajpmax-_c__g_1012728_gclid$_CjwKCAjwwL6aBhBlEiwADycBIJqJA9JE9VOvyXyP46ZxAsnWgPuM0rWJ1qWaDW2FwNvCYKJ9B2PfcRoCJYwQAvD_BwE&gclid=CjwKCAjwwL6aBhBlEiwADycBIJqJA9JE9VOvyXyP46ZxAsnWgPuM0rWJ1qWaDW2FwNvCYKJ9B2PfcRoCJYwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by johnnybangkok

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Its a global company- presumably he works not just on Thailand stuff but on global things. Irrelevant where he sits, they pay for his skills.

250k is double the US average for programmers but I don't know what people mean when they say "tech" these days. This guy is on the high end of the global labor curve, let alone Thailand.

But this has nothing to do with Thailand. It's a foreigner learning foreign currency that just so happens to live in Thailand. Those types should be left out of this analysis since it doesn't actually tell you anything about Thai people living in Thailand.

• Like 2