How Wife can Return to Thailand from USA

Hello,

My wife and I want to return to Thailand to visit family in 6 months. My wife came to the USA from Thailand on a fiancee visa and she should get her USA green card soon. However, her Thai passport still holds her former last name which would not match her new last name on the airline tickets and green card. How can we resolve this issue? Is there a way to apply for a new Thai passport from the USA? Must we travel to the nearest consulate for this and will it be possible to do all this without sacrificing her old passport that still has her K-1 visa in it?

Thank you,

KwaiNoom

The green card is of little consequence, since no one will be checking that.

If you can book the plane ticket with the name in her passport, you should be fine.

The airlines and immigration are only interested in her passport.

Then, upon arrival, you can get a new passport issued with her new last name.

• Like 1

I'd have to say NO.

Once they enter on a K1 which is a single entry visa, travel outside the US is a No No until they receive their green card.

Now that being said, I 'think' if they have already applied for an adjustment of status, you can apply for travel authorization before the green card shows up.

But my personal opinion is that international travel before they get the hard green card in hard is fraught with danger. Paper creates confusion at check in, and you'll be on on the defensive trying to prove right of entry.

First thing the OP's wife needs do is get a new passport in her married name, The consulates in the US have set days when you can get it done, or a trip to DC.

If they do decide to go to Thailand before getting the green card, first thing off the plane go get a new passport

Edited by GinBoy2