Opening a local "Chiang Mai" Thai Bank Account under Visa Exemption?

Paul Catton

Has anybody been able to open a bank account in Chiang Mai, recently, travelling to Thailand under Visa exemption?

Back in the day, the "Thai Military Bank" facilitated this service for anyone wishing to deposit funds who arrived in person and made a monetary deposit.

The world has changed since then, Money Laundering from Criminal Activity or financing Terrorism Operations has provided the stumbling block for.  
I am going to try and open an account solely in "my name" when Opal and I are there, over the Xmas / New Year period for our vacation. Solely groundwork to funnel excess funds from NZ, being almost stagnant in a "Fast Saver Account", to another stagnant account that would provide the "current" requirement 400.000THB being parked for any "Extension of stay" for the future.

Please no referrals to agents, neither Ponzi schemes for Investment strategy.

Kind regards

Paul

I did at both Bangkok Bank and SCB 20+ years ago but, like you said, things have changed.  This past fall, I tried to open a Bangkok Bank account with only my 45-day exemption and they said "no" (I had to wait until I converted to a Non-O).

You could visit a couple of branches of whatever banks and give it a try but, if that doesn't work, you're only option (if they'll handle it) is to use an agent.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Citibank does

"Citi to sell consumer business in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam to UOB Group. Citigroup will sell its consumer banking businesses in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam to Singapore's United Overseas Bank, the banks announced Friday.Jan 13, 2565 BE"

• Thumbs Up 1

I opened a Bangkok Bank account about a month ago having entered on a visa exemption and extended several times with Covid extensions. I opened the account at the Pratu Chang Phuak branch.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

Check required documents. Note:

• Embassy certification ($50 at the US Embassy in CM. Check your own embassy)
  • SWIFT message 
  • Certificate of Residence and copy of lease

I used the last option. It's not on the web site but was suggested by the bank.

Chiang Mai Immigration does a touch of graft with the Certificate of Residence. 50 baht and you'll get it in the mail in three weeks. 500 baht and you can pick it up next day.

I also researched the SWIFT message. This is a message sent via the SWIFT Interbank system. Per correspondence with Bangkok Bank, they suggest the following text:

Attn:      Payment Investigation Unit

Global Payment Services

Bangkok Bank

SWIFT Address:  BKKBTHBK

Mr./Mrs. …………………. ID Card/Passport Number ………………………. Residing at ………………………………………. (permanent resident). Maintains account no. …………………………….. with us and has been conducting their banking business with us since …..dd….mth…….yr (date of account opening).   Mr./Ms.………………….wish to open a savings account at ……………… (Specify name of Bangkok Bank branch where you wish to open account.) ……………… Please extend your banking facilities to Mr./Ms.……………………………. (account holder).

This should be transmitted using SWIFT interbank message format MT199 or MT999.

• Thumbs Up 1