Road leading to Patong Hill starts to collapse after landslide

webfact

15 hours ago, billythehat said:

The trusty Suzi still going strong I see!

To the topic under discussion and my own 2 Baht as an Engineer:

The soil is mainly a sandy loam (sand & clay) with free drainage characteristics. From the photos shown so far, the removal of the road appears to show shear failure of the road metal where the movement of the underlying soil tends to slide due to the overbearing pressure/loading on the soil. The friction of the road foundation is unable to resist the shear force of the moving soil and fails. The movement does not ‘wash away’ foundations but alters the way one structure movement affects another structure (soil friction/angle.) 

If, after some deliberation and cost analysis, the road is to be retained, the stabilization of the existing soil would be a priority before any works are undertaken. The use of piling/other systems would incur, due to the soil type, to be of some considerable depth for an effective retaining structure.

Long term, the slope in this location will continue to fail due to several factors; the removal of trees etc. and the current road alignment abandoned and a new road alignment built. The soil report, post failure, and its’ recommendations should reveal the mystery…

Thanks for the information BTH and I'm sure you're right, given your expertise in this area, however I also do believe the water run-off from the hill on the other side of the road which was "re-routed" had something to do with it, this especially as the road collapse happened about three weeks after they had finished this so-called "remedial work"!! However I bow to your superior knowledge.

Yes the old Suzuki Swift is going well and is just about to clock up 40,000 km in just over 10 years, so not really used a great deal, however I will be trying the Patong-Kathu road today in order to buy some more wine.

Are you due over to this part of the world any time soon?? If you are, don't hesitate to give me a call so that we can catch up.

All the very best. Xylo

On 11/7/2022 at 3:10 AM, xylophone said:

Thanks for the information BTH and I'm sure you're right, given your expertise in this area, however I also do believe the water run-off from the hill on the other side of the road which was "re-routed" had something to do with it, this especially as the road collapse happened about three weeks after they had finished this so-called "remedial work"!! However I bow to your superior knowledge.

Yes the old Suzuki Swift is going well and is just about to clock up 40,000 km in just over 10 years, so not really used a great deal, however I will be trying the Patong-Kathu road today in order to buy some more wine.

Are you due over to this part of the world any time soon?? If you are, don't hesitate to give me a call so that we can catch up.

All the very best. Xylo

message sent