Shipping personal belongings to the US

howlee101

Checking for recommendations to ship some personal belongings from Chiang Mai to the US.  I have a website for Siam Shipping  but wanted to know if any forum members have used another company.  I shipped all of my (now adult) children's things  over when I moved and they just sit in storage bins.  As I get older, I don't want to those memories to get thrown away when I'm gone.   I'm guessing 75 - 150 lbs total and would most likely fit in two large size luggage.  Nothing is urgent to get sent back so a slow boat cargo ship would be fine.  Any suggestions is appreciated.  

Faced with the age, I shipped two plastic trunks filled with collected items from my travels. Bubble wrapped all and Chiang Mai Removals arranged the shipping through DHL.  Ceramics were involved and very few things could be replaces. One piece broken upon arrival, a corner of one of the trunks was broken. DHL compensated. I would recommend shipping in a hard sided container with lots of bubble wrap.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ve used Rama Inter shipping many times to send large boxes from the US to Thailand. They also send from here to the US. Way way cheaper than using DHL or UPS. Its about $75 for a large 50-75 pound box I think. But they ship by container boat so it takes about a month and a half 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, howlee101 said:

Are they based out of California?  That's what my google search found anyway.

They have an office in LA and in Bangkok i believe. I was only shipping stuff to Thailand so my sister would drop it at the office in LA she lived just near it. 

Edited by dkg224
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 1:09 PM, dkg224 said:

I’ve used Rama Inter shipping many times to send large boxes from the US to Thailand. They also send from here to the US. Way way cheaper than using DHL or UPS. Its about $75 for a large 50-75 pound box I think. But they ship by container boat so it takes about a month and a half 

charges depend on weight or volume usually.......

For anyone interested, I found a company, called FastShip,  to ship internationally.  You can Google them to see if they have a location near you (click on "Contact Us" tab at the top).  In Chiang Mai, they are located across from Central Airport Mall, next to PT gas station.  You can get various size boxes at there store.  I got the largest size box, 45x40x55 cm; the max weight is 20 kg.  My box was 19.80 kgs shipping from Chiang Mai to Charlotte, North Carolina....price for 20 kgs 7847 baht (~$212 USD).  Their website estimate 3-5 days deliver; I dropped it off the morning of 26 Oct and my daughter got it on 30 Oct.  A few tips:  make sure you have an itemized list of the contents (they enter the items in their computer), don't seal the top part of the box (they will want to look inside to verify no forbidden content), and make sure they tape all edges of the box.  Also, the CM office only will accept funds transfer, i.e. no credit cards or cash.  It's best to have a Thai person with you...unless you speak fluent Thai.  This is no way an endorsement for FastShip but it was the cheapest and fastest that I found.

%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B2-USA-Online-9.05.22.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 3:00 PM, howlee101 said:

For anyone interested, I found a company, called FastShip,  to ship internationally.  You can Google them to see if they have a location near you (click on "Contact Us" tab at the top).  In Chiang Mai, they are located across from Central Airport Mall, next to PT gas station.  You can get various size boxes at there store.  I got the largest size box, 45x40x55 cm; the max weight is 20 kg.  My box was 19.80 kgs shipping from Chiang Mai to Charlotte, North Carolina....price for 20 kgs 7847 baht (~$212 USD).  Their website estimate 3-5 days deliver; I dropped it off the morning of 26 Oct and my daughter got it on 30 Oct.  A few tips:  make sure you have an itemized list of the contents (they enter the items in their computer), don't seal the top part of the box (they will want to look inside to verify no forbidden content), and make sure they tape all edges of the box.  Also, the CM office only will accept funds transfer, i.e. no credit cards or cash.  It's best to have a Thai person with you...unless you speak fluent Thai.  This is no way an endorsement for FastShip but it was the cheapest and fastest that I found.

%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B2-USA-Online-9.05.22.jpg

3-5 days seems okay but i hope they have other payment methods. 

30 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Don't think i'd ever use them for that exact same reason. Too open to abuse in my books

They didn't unpack and go through the entire box.  I had my hand written list and they did a cursory look to make sure (I'm guessing here) nothing was visible that is prohibited.  I just sent a second box this week.  They didn't look inside but they did ask questions about one of the items I had listed. OBTW, it was a wooden desk display and they asked if it was teak wood (they said shipping teak wood is prohibited).