Jury finds Kevin Spacey not liable for battery

Scott

image.png

In a victory for Kevin Spacey, a New York jury on Thursday afternoon found him not liable for battery on allegations he picked up actor Anthony Rapp and briefly laid on top of him in a bed after a party in 1986.

Jurors deliberated for about an hour, and concluded Rapp did not prove that Spacey “touched a sexual or intimate part” of Rapp.

Judge Lewis Kaplan formally dismissed the case. Attorneys seated on either side of Spacey immediately put their hands on his back when the verdict was read.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/20/entertainment/kevin-spacey-civil-trial-closing/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Victory against the perpetually offended.

However, he probably had to pay large to lawyers to win. IMO they are the only winners in the so called "justice system".

Will he now sue the other party for lying?

He couldn't prove the other party was lying.

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

A grown man lying on top of a 14 year old boy, an action spacey admitted to and apologised for previously, doesn’t count as sexual assault/sexual battery?

Hmm…

Making a pass at someone vs groping is 2 different issues.

One inappropriate but legal, the other, not so.  

Judge deciding on the evidence we apparently aren't privy to.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

"Under New York law, battery is touching another person, without their consent, in a way that a reasonable person would find offensive."

I'd say it was the 'without their consent' part they failed to prove.

As the child was 14 I’d argue informed consent for a grown man to carry out such a thing couldn’t be given.

If an adult engaging in sexual encounters with an underage child is a crime, I cannot see how the behaviour in this case, behaviour that has previously been admitted to by spacey, can be legal. 

However it appears the jury felt otherwise.

Fortunate for spacey eh…

Edited by Bluespunk
Punctuation
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Making a pass at someone vs groping is 2 different issues.

One inappropriate but legal, the other, not so.  

Judge deciding on the evidence we apparently aren't privy to.

He has previously admitted he lay on top of a 14 year old boy. That isn’t groping, that’s sexual assault.

Also I do believe that groping is not legal, it along with any unwanted sexual touching, is considered sexual assault.  

However, as I say spacey seems to have been fortunate with the jury this time round..

Edited by Bluespunk

Seems like he has weaseled out of it on this occasion.

Only a matter of time though. Justice will catch up with him in the end, as it did with Weinstein.

What a disgraceful individual. A real shame, he was in some great movies (American Beauty, K-Pax, Usual Suspects etc.).

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 1:27 PM, Bluespunk said:

He has previously admitted he lay on top of a 14 year old boy. That isn’t groping, that’s sexual assault.

Also I do believe that groping is not legal, it along with any unwanted sexual touching, is considered sexual assault.  

However, as I say spacey seems to have been fortunate with the jury this time round..

The jury obviously disagreed about the sexual aspect.

As for Spacey, innocent and can never be tried for same case again.

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 1:29 PM, Bluespunk said:

Nonetheless…

it wasn't a consideration for the jury now either.

I reckon we all did things when young and foolish that were not wise, given the circumstances at the time, and most are lucky that the other party doesn't dredge up a desire to punish us years later.

I certainly did things that were not in fact a crime, but could be considered to be so given a skilled lawyer in a court of "law", should I not be able to pay for a more skilled lawyer.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The jury obviously disagreed about the sexual aspect.

As for Spacey, innocent and can never be tried for same case again.

I did say he was fortunate with his jury.

However, innocent?

For me as he’s admitted the offence I’d phrase it that he was found not guilty. 

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

it wasn't a consideration for the jury now either.

I reckon we all did things when young and foolish that were not wise, given the circumstances at the time, and most are lucky that the other party doesn't dredge up a desire to punish us years later.

I certainly did things that were not in fact a crime, but could be considered to be so given a skilled lawyer in a court of "law", should I not be able to pay for a more skilled lawyer.

Nonetheless there cannot be informed consent when it as a child of 14 years and an adult. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nonetheless there cannot be informed consent when it as a child of 14 years and an adult. 

Jury apparently doesn't believe there was anything to consent for that could be construed as a crime without consent

Anyway, innocent of this charge according to the law.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Oh come on man. Thirteen year olds could get married till recently and far as I know still can in some countries.

It's been claimed that there are no 13 year old virgins in a certain country i know, though I tend to think that is not universal, but certainly possible for many.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh come on man. Thirteen year olds could get married till recently and far as I know still can in some countries.

It's been claimed that there are no 13 year old virgins in a certain country i know, though I tend to think that is not universal, but certainly possible for many.

Your kidding me, when's the last time you brought up a 13 or even 14 year old daughter, they are not ready for marriage or a sexual relationship, I can assure that is not the case in the vast majority of countries and certainly not in the US or UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Jury apparently doesn't believe there was anything to consent for that could be construed as a crime without consent

Anyway, innocent of this charge according to the law.

As I said, not disagreeing that the jury  found him not guilty. But his past admission of guilt means I do not see him as innocent. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Typo

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nonetheless informed consent cannot be given between a child and an adult. 

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Your kidding me, when's the last time you brought up a 13 or even 14 year old daughter, they are not ready for marriage or a sexual relationship, I can assure that is not the case in the vast majority of countries and certainly not in the US or UK.

Stepdaughter, 1980s.

Her mother had to put her on the pill or she would have got pregnant long before she reached 18 when she had her first child.

Boyfriends constantly ringing her up at 12.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Stepdaughter, 1980s.

Her mother had to put her on the pill or she would have got pregnant long before she reached 18 when she had her first child.

Right, so there will also be many other examples of inappropriate behaviour by adults who are supposed to be looking after their children responsibly. Highlighting cases that are outliners are not what you implied at all. I have a 14 year old daughter right now, I also looked after my other daughter when she was 14. They are not ready for a sexual relationship and certainly not marriage.

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Stepdaughter, 1980s.

What was funny about my post , what caused you to laugh at my post ?