Border Run To Padang Besar

The only potential problem is over-zealous officials ,on the Thai side.

Zero issues with the Malaysians ..ever 

Btw..better carry the 20k in cash,. If you have a history of border runs 

Edited by VinnieK

I have done the crossing at Sugnai Golok dozens of times.  Malaysian immigration are delightful. Friendly helpful and welcoming.  The Thai side is corrupt and abhorent.  They use to have a tiny room there off to the side with a single table and chair in it and one person sitting.  Everybody had to go in there to "buy" their arrival card before you joined the IO queue. 

• Haha 1

There was a 2 page thread previously regarding this particular border crossing -  Try to search for it & have a read.

You could also consider using the Wang Prachan border post for a quick out & straight back in again  - I used this crossing at the beginning of this month.

The summary of the other thread identified by RedArmy Using the Train:

Getting out of Thailand and into Malaysia is obviously not an issue. Coming back using the train is not as straightforward. I was surprised to read on the thread that many experienced trying to get back into Thailand, immigration was not open on many occasions. This seems odd since the Komuter train from Hat Yai it would be pointless as the station is on the Malaysian side, or for the Butterworth train since many on this train would be crossing the border into Thailand. There was one comment that said the Thai immigration in the station was closed in the evening. The issue seems to be about the train timetables either side of the border at Padang Besar and then getting a suitable train leaving for Hat Yai. The main issues is the time limitation between getting off the Komuter train coming from HatYai and getting on a train going back to Hat Yai since the train leaves about 20 mins after arriving and possibly there might not be sufficient time to get both immigration stamps. I am guessing here that the timetables have not been organised for border runs, but rather single journeys coming into and out of Malaysia.

From your post - You seem to be saying that you will walk across the border and hence doing the border run will probably not be an issue. Taking the road down from the railway station, exiting Malaysia and entering Thailand used to be simple, but recent times might have changed and the issue with new immigration might be different since there has been few border run reports in the last few years with Covid. The concern would be if it was now the same as the Wang Prachan border where one night is required in Malaysia. As a result the visa run companies in Phuket charge 5,000 Thb to do a visa run to Wang Prachan and the van companies are saying that immigration require a re-entry permit charge 2,500 to be paid to overcome this issue.

You are probably aware, but after walking back into Thailand via the roadway, down from the station there is a bus every hour that takes you into Hat Yai for 42 Thb.

Hi,

I've left and entered Thailand via this border

post before, and you can walk between the

immigrations on both side no problem. I'm

not sure if the Thai Immigration could let

you back in on the same day, though.

They might tell you to stay in Malaysia

for a night or two before letting you back

in.

Take shuttle train from Haad Yai to Padang Besar Malaysia station. The return time is flexible as they will wait for everyone who was on the connecting Kommuter train to clear customs and immigration. Should have enough time.

Buy the return shuttle train ticket upstairs before heading for Malaysia exit immigration. Can pay in MYR or THB

• Like 1