Chang Khong to Huay Xai visa run...can turn around immediately?

So the 90 days on my Non-O multi entry are just about up and next week I will have to leave the country to avoid overstay and get a new stamp in my passport upon re-entry to Thailand. I'm in CM and planning to cross from Chang Khong to Huay Xai with a Laos visa on arrival. Do I need to stay the night in Laos or can I turn right around and come back to Thailand, such as was always the case Mae Sai/Tachilek?

Many thanks!

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

An immediate return is permitted, no problem, at all Thailand's land crossings with Laos.

Great, thanks BritTim. I assumed so but I don't have experience doing such a thing with the Laos border so thought it best to check. Heck, I'd rather stay a few days  but not sure I can spare the time.  I saw that Monday is a holiday. I don't suppose that has any bearing on a border crossing, does it? Could be busier, I reckon, but not closed, yes?

I use to do it in the mid 1990s no issues long-tail boat over stamp into Thai side from Lao hand passport over once visa on arrival granted go for walk around eat drink something go back to immigration saying lm going back hand pasport over stamp go down grab longtail boat back Thai side or Lao use to look at you strange no issues though immigration  use to laugh visa on arrival off l went ????

Edited by Mad mick
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mad mick said:

I use to do it in the mid 1990s no issues long-tail boat over stamp into Thai side from Lao hand passport over once visa on arrival granted go for walk around eat drink something go back to immigration saying lm going back hand pasport over stamp go down grab longtail boat back Thai side or Lao use to look at you strange no issues though immigration  use to laugh visa on arrival off l went ????

They stopped that boat about ten years ago and now there's a bridge crossing with proper immigration both sides

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2022 at 9:26 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

They stopped that boat about ten years ago and now there's a bridge crossing with proper immigration both sides

It was quite rickety going over and for those that could not swim, even dangerous....stopped 10 years ago...time flies.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No sure why you posted that 9 year old video. There is a bridge at Chiang Kong now.

A poster above was describing the boat journey pre bridge and I recalled that someone made a video of the boat journey across and I thought that I'd find that video and post it up 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, MotocyAdventurer said:

Also, re: a question related to one above: I plan to ride my motorbike to the bridge.  Is there parking there, paid or unpaid, to leave the motorcycle for the hours needed  to stamp out, take the bus, secure Lao visa, turn around, stamp out, take the bus back and then stamp in to TH?

Well of course there is .

You can park motorbikes in any place 

• Thumbs Up 1