Ukraine war: Growing Russia-Iran ties pose new dangers

Scott

667fa853318570bb582b68341797fcc9.jpg

For years the headlines have covered the controversies over advanced Russian air defence systems heading to Iran. But now the arms traffic is very much in the other direction, writes Jonathan Marcus of the Strategy and Security Institute, University of Exeter.

Iranian-supplied drones are being used by Moscow to terrorise Ukrainian civilians and to strike at the country's electricity generating and distribution system.

Russia's predicament in Ukraine has prompted Moscow to turn to Tehran for stocks of precision-guided weapons. Its own arsenals are fast running out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-63328274

BBC.jpg

I doubt the Iranians would now be assisting Russia if the Trump administration hadn't withdrawn from the nuclear agreement and made it virtually impossible for other nations to continue trading with the Iranians. Whatever they're earning from selling weapons to Russia has got to be chump change compared what unrestricted sales of oil and gas would be earning them.

On 10/22/2022 at 1:48 PM, placeholder said:

I doubt the Iranians would now be assisting Russia if the Trump administration hadn't withdrawn from the nuclear agreement and made it virtually impossible for other nations to continue trading with the Iranians. Whatever they're earning from selling weapons to Russia has got to be chump change compared what unrestricted sales of oil and gas would be earning them.

Given Iran would IMO be spending that money on terrorism I hope they never get to sell their oil so long as the religious guys are in charge.

• Like 1