Thailand’s limelight at APEC is being rocked by events outside its control

webfact

image.jpeg

Opinion

By Ken Mathis Lohatepanont

That chairing Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meeting is something that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha looks forward to, as it may be his final triumph after 8 long years in office but the road leading to this triumphant event is not looking smooth.

The crowing moment for his career would be when the leaders of some of the world’s leading economies, who had initially shunned him after the 2014 putsch against the Yingluck Shinawatra government, surround the coup leader as part of the ritual for the photo op.

On the bright side for Prayut, Chinese president Xi Jinping will be there, in his first visit to Thailand as president likely just after securing a norm-breaking third term. Emmanuel Macron, the president of France, will also attend as the personal guest of the prime minister; the same goes for Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman, fresh off the recent defrosting of Saudi-Thai relations.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/45356/opinion-thailands-limelight-at-apec-is-being-rocked-by-events-outside-its-control/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-10-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

'The crowing moment for his career would be when the leaders of some of the world’s leading economies.."

I thought standard statement would be "crowning moment", not "crowing moment" but on further thought, perhaps crowing is what author intended.

Cock a doodle doo

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Putin, president Xi and a Saudi Prince... sorry to say but they are not the most liked leaders in the world as is Macron at the moment.

Is the Saudi Prince not involved in something  with demonstrators and journalist?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/mohammed-bin-salman

He would love what they have - unfettered, lifetime control backed by the military with no more than a passing nod to democracy and human rights. At least he has the sense to know it won't happen for him.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The crowing moment

I just love reading these articles. I learn something new every day. A crowing moment? What the heck is that? I always thought it was a crowning moment... oops better be careful some overly sensitive moderator might come along and ditch points on my community reputation, or block me for 10 days... as if I care

37 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Perhaps someone can remind Prayut that the APEC meeting isn't about him.

Oh but it is, it is his crowning achievement to have destroyed the country by filandering the money away, but he will show the shiny new F-35 airplane he is buying and the Billion baht subs as well...while his little fat partner shows off his high end watches borrowed from a dead friend.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I just love reading these articles. I learn something new every day. A crowing moment? What the heck is that? I always thought it was a crowning moment... oops better be careful some overly sensitive moderator might come along and ditch points on my community reputation, or block me for 10 days... as if I care

IF............if the Czar, the Emperor and the Tyrant do turn up, it will give him something to crow about!

If Prajut Chan 0 Cha really wants to grow a respected political profile , he should not miss the APEC occasion to condemn the actions of Mr . Min Aung Hlain , the burmese autocratic dictator who does not listen to anything , only continues to murder innocent people of his own country .

This APEC meeting should set an example for ' outlawing ' a political pariah . ( and good friend of Putin )