Sunak is next PM as Mordaunt drops out of leadership race

Scott

Mordaunt withdrawal statement, in full

Here is Penny Mordaunt's full statement:

"Our Party is our membership. Whether we are elected representatives, activists, fundraisers or supporters. We all have a stake in who our leader is.

"These are unprecedented times. Despite the compressed timetable for the leadership contest it is clear that colleagues feel we need certainty today. They have taken this decision in good faith for the good of the country.

"Members should know that this proposition has been fairly and thoroughly tested by the agreed 1922 process.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-63327087

BBC.jpg

Rishi Sunak will be the first person of color to lead the UK

Rishi Sunak will become the first Hindu and the first person of color to become Britain’s Prime Minister.

At the age of 42, he is also the youngest person to take the office in more than 200 years.

The result of Monday’s contest caps a spectacularly rapid rise to the pinnacle of British politics.

https://www.cnn.com/uk/live-news/uk-prime-minister-announcement-monday-gbr-intl/index.html

CNN.jpg

Rishi Sunak will be the first person of color to lead the UK Rishi Sunak will become the first Hindu and the first person of color to become Britain’s Prime Minister.

Is that really such an issue for British people ?

Sunak is British , doesn't matter whether he's Hindu of "of colour" 

He achieved his position through merit (as long with the others in the running being completely useless ) and not because his ethnicity 

28 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Rishi Sunak will be the first person of color to lead the UK Rishi Sunak will become the first Hindu and the first person of color to become Britain’s Prime Minister.

Is that really such an issue for British people ?

Sunak is British , doesn't matter whether he's Hindu of "of colour" 

He achieved his position through merit (as long with the others in the running being completely useless ) and not because his ethnicity 

No one has suggested such. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

His Religion and skin colour was stated in the report , I would prefer it if he was just viewed as a person , and his Religion and skin colour would be irrelevant 

Nowhere was it stated in any reports that either is an issue. 

Sunak himself has talked about the strength he takes from his faith. 

“Two years ago, when Sunak was chancellor, he lit candles to mark Diwali on the doorstep of No 11 Downing Street at a time when Covid restrictions remained in force.

“It was one of my proudest moments that I was able to do that on the steps of Downing Street. It was one of my proudest moments of the job that I had for the last two years,” he told the Times earlier this year.

His faith “gives me strength, it gives me purpose. It’s part of who I am,” he said.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/24/rishi-sunak-becomes-first-british-pm-of-colour-and-also-first-hindu-at-no-10?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nadine Dorries isn’t happy

“Dorries, a culture secretary during Johnson’s government, had called on Sunday for a general election after he decided not to enter leadership race. She tweeted that the former prime minister would have won the votes of Tory members and “already had a mandate from the people” in the form of his 2019 election win.

“Rishi and Penny, despite requests from Boris, refused to unite, which would have made governing utterly impossible. Penny actually asked him to step aside for her. It will now be impossible to avoid a GE,” she said.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/24/calls-grow-for-general-election-after-rishi-sunak-becomes-tory-leader?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Like 1