Is it possible to get Thai Birth Certificate in Thailand for half-thai born overseas?

Soosi

Only threads I could find on this subject were like 12 years old so in case the laws regarding this have changed.

My situation is that I was born in Finland and have never lived in Thailand, I could get the birth certificate here from Thai Embassy in Finland but one the requirements for them to issue it is that my parents marriage needs to be registered in Thailand as well but currently its not. So in order for me to get the birth certificate here, my mom needs to register their marriage in Thailand.

So my question is that is it even possible for me to register my birth in Thailand with the right documents translated from English to Thai and get my birth certificate there without sending the documents back and forth overseas.

From what I heard from my mom is that one of her friends's son was able to do all this in Thailand but everywhere I research online they all say that I will need to get my Thai Birth Certificate from the consulate in the country of birth. Thank you in advance for everyone taking the time reply

Edited by Soosi

The birth birth must be applied for at a embassy or official consulate in the country where you were born.

The Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA will assist with the registration and sent it to relevant embassy or consulate.

Moved this topic to the Family and Children forum where it has been discussed before.

I think there is a little confusion about the birth registration requiring it to be registered.

I have looked at the requirements on the embassy in Helsinki and it does state the marriage be registered here at a Amphoe by stating a Kor Ror 22 is needed in the Thai version (translated by google). 

"6. Copy of marriage certificate of parents In case of marriage abroad, please attach a document of marital status (Chor. 22) issued by the district according to your household registration."

Source: https://helsinki.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/66054-การแจ้งเกิดบุตร?page=5d80876d15e39c3354007b69&menu=5d80876d15e39c3354007b6a

On another embassy website it is not mentioned it on mentions a different statement from the mother. 

""Mother's testimony record" (in case the father and mother did not register the marriage)  [Download]"

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/th/thaibirthcertificate-thai-english/

It's odd that they would require that since almost none other embassy will.

Problem is that me and my mom are in Finland so it makes it just that bit more complicated that I would be better off to do the whole thing in Thailand of thats possible. Im planning on moving there for a while

Edited by Soosi
Typo

2 hours ago, Soosi said:

Problem is that me and my mom are in Finland so it makes it just that bit more complicated that I would be better off to do the whole thing in Thailand of thats possible. Im planning on moving there for a while

It is strange that they are asking for it. Maybe ask if they can waive it given it isn't a requirement?

In any case, it is possible to do it from Thailand, however all that will happen is that they will liase with the Thai embassy in Finland. But at least you'll be here to to the Kor Ror 22. Not sure if that will require your father though to be present too.  

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/thai-citizenship-when-born-overseas/

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Have you considered the possibility of being called up for national military service if you are officially registered in Thailand?

Yes, I have but I've already served in the Finnish military as conscript since it's compulsory here as well. Would that exempt me from serving in the Thai military? 

Anyway, I'm not too concerned about it since from what I've heard is that there are ways to get off the hook even if I'm unlucky enough to pick the wrong card.

58 minutes ago, kiwiaussie said:

It is strange that they are asking for it. Maybe ask if they can waive it given it isn't a requirement?

In any case, it is possible to do it from Thailand, however all that will happen is that they will liase with the Thai embassy in Finland. But at least you'll be here to to the Kor Ror 22. Not sure if that will require your father though to be present too.  

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/thai-citizenship-when-born-overseas/

Thank you for your answer. So if it is possible to get it done in Thailand then in my case it would probably be the easiest choice to just travel there with all the documents and not have to go back and forth with the paperwork.

12 hours ago, Soosi said:

The requirement of your mother's marriage registration certificate is not only odd, it is irrelevant to your application for your Thai birth certificate.

The rules for the acquisition of Thai nationality by birth have changed since the Nationality Act was promulgated in 1965. The latest amendment I have on file is from 1992, applicable also to persons born before that, and reads as follows:

Section 7. The following persons acquire Thai nationality by birth: 

(1) A person born of a father or a mother of Thai nationality, whether within or outside the Thai Kingdom

The nationalities of the child and its parents are entered on the Thai birth certificate. Apparently, you derive your Thai nationality from your mother and the embassy in Finland perhaps wants to get as many official documents as possible that attest your mother's Thai nationality, which is presumably stated on her birth certificate, house registration entry, ID card, passport, and marriage certificate.