Thailand feels the pinch of lower tourism earnings as second ex-minister queries economic data

webfact

9 minutes ago, 10baht said:

Have you looked at Japan or china? Not just Thailand.

Thailand i can understand wearing masks  with the dirty air to breathe in that country, the air  is yellow around bangkok,  and  many other provinces too

September's official tourist numbers should be released this week, wouldn't be surprised if it's the first month this year that shows a decline, August barely increased from July. Not surprised some realists in authority are expressing concern given the low base of current numbers.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just this morning I saw someone on UK news lamenting that no-one was buying from her clothes store now as people simply don't want to spend in uncertain financial times. Yet Thailand keeps burying its head in the sand, believing that millions upon millions are queuing up to jump on planes to fly across the world to visit paradise. They aren't coming, this year or next. Live with it.

"They aren't coming, this year or next. Live with it."

Agreed, but trying telling TAT that?????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

When the entire world is experiencing 100000000% inflation, who has money for Pattaya?????!!?!?!?!

First do a Buy one - Get one in Pattaya, people like that here.    Then free rooms if you do this special.    Beer at 20 baht and the ability to do a short-term marriage with a bar girl for up to one year (STB visa).   

The whole world is crying about wasting money as companies get super, super rich, so it's hard to then just waste more money coming to LOS.  

No money for food, rent, and car this month.........wait, I'll go to Pattaya!!!

I mean, that's what I did................but I'm not really normal.  

"I mean, that's what I did................but I'm not really normal."

Well at least you admit it? ????

6 hours ago, 2baht said:

Up one day, down the next, someone is stretching the truth! ???? 

Honestly speaking the Resort girls are doing their best to prop-up the economy and save Prayuts bacon.

I think you're being a bit harsh..????

• Haha 1

People are fearful of spending on leisure travel during this time of economic crisis and cost of living from inflation, war, floods, droughts, typhoons and tornadoes. The scarcity of flights, seats and gauging prices is a hindrance to would be travellers. Thai Airways and other airlines are bankrupt. Thai will cancel the twice weekly (all full) Bangkok-Perth-Bangkok route from 28th October. They fear aircraft confiscation in some countries because of unpaid bills. Flying to and from Thailand is fraught with issues. 

Checked some air fares from London.  All seem to be 50% or more up on what I ws paying before the pandemic.  Nothing Thailand can do about that unless they try to get TG to fly a a bigger loss to encourage tourists.

Fares published above for Emirates economy are about what I was paying for Business last year.  With recession predicted and the UK pound falling, who can afford to trave now?.

• Haha 1