Tax I.d. Number ?

Hi,

I have a valid work permit and Type B visa, but I don't have a tax I.D. number because according to my lawyer/accountant, it's not needed for farangs (can use passport number) in accepting salary from a company.

However, I'd still like to get one because some of my customers ask for it when I do "freelance" work for them (I'm also a writer/copywriter/editor/proofreader for magazines, advertising agencies, students doing their thesis/dissertation for masters or PhD, etc.).

My lawyer friend will charge about 1000 baht to do it for me, but if it's easy (like if it just entails going to a government office and filing for it), then I'd rather just do it myself.

Any instructions/tips on how to do it or get it? :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

revenue department offices are everywhere.

You can go down, with your PP, WP and perhaps a letter in Thai from your employer requesting a Tax ID. The revenue department in my expereience are probably the most efficient governemnt office, anywhere. I mean, you approaching them basically means that you want to give them your money!

I'm pretty sure that your lawyer is full-o-sh!te when he says that you don't need one. Your tax liablity depends on a number of factors, such as the source of the income (local or OS), your marital status, number of kids, whether you pay for life insurance, whether you have invested in long term funds etc etc. This is assessed by the revenue department at the end of the year, and the Tax ID is the number you fill in at the top of the form as well as your PP number.

Having a tax ID also is a useful little card in getting you into many places at 'Thai prices'.