Police procedure???

mhortig

6 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

You mentioned; 'insurance adjuster'. Assuming you were insured which is good, otherwise the police would have ordered you to pay for medical treatment for the moto rider, repair of moto plus compensation for injuries.

Only IF the Op was considered at fault - in this case it seems the Motorcyclist was considered at fault and the Op is wondering why it cost him 500 baht to have his vehicle inspected. 

Consider the 500 baht a very reasonable admin fee/tip.

I recall being charged a 500b ‘admin’ fee after an accident and we ended up at the police station. 

I was told that was the standard charge for ‘being involved in an accident’ even though the decision was considered 50/50.

when police recovered my stolen Honda Wave they demanded the reward money my wife had offered on Facebook (10,000 baht) before they would hand it over claiming that they had incurred considerable expenses. 

Police charging for doing their job - astonishing.... well not really. I can see their entitlement, they’ve seen the 10,000 baht and thought it a nice earner. Had there not been a reward they would not have done their job !!... typical of Thai police. 

• Like 2

Thanks, perhaps this is legit, even though it is unfair. I suspect this was deemed to be a 50/50 situation, but nobody was forthcoming to my wife. In my view it was clearly the fault of the motorcycle. She was driving in the dirt next to road, it was not even a real shoulder, She  hit us when we turned into a restaurant, we did signal,  but she was in a blind spot and going very fast.

Edited by mhortig
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mhortig said:

Thanks, perhaps this is legit, even though it is unfair. I suspect this was deemed to be a 50/50 situation, but nobody was forthcoming to my wife. In my view it was clearly the fault of the motorcycle, as she was driving on the dirt shoulder and hit us when we turned into a restaurant, we did signal, she was in a blind spot and going very fast.

My Thai niece was making a left turn in her car. A girl on a moto undertook and was knocked off. Fortunately, she only suffered bruises and a few scrapes. Policeman who attended was a family friend. Nevertheless, he ordered my niece to pay for the girl's hospital treatment (we never received a bill), repair of her moto and compensation for injuries. Surprisingly, the girl only asked for 1,000 baht. I can understand why the police do this, their prime concern being getting people patched up and vehicles repaired and back on the road.   

I had a girl on a motorcy hit the side of my car while I was making a turn....She was actually going faster than the road traffic....

She got scraped up & we took her to a hospital....60baht....

We then met at the police station where it was called 50/50 with each of us paying our own vehicle damages....

There was a processing fee of either 400 or 500 paid to the police after all the paperwork was compiled....

The girl was a student & I believe my wife gave her some baht as she felt sorry for her ....

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Medical bills should be free (close to free) but thats not always the case if the injured party is outside of their home province and not near their primary designated hospital etc (for their Thai healthcare scheme). 

I’d never accept blame for an accident when not at fault as that may leave myself open for compensation claims further down the road. 

I suppose the fact we never received a bill was because treatment was provided under the Thai National Health Service? It did cross my mind that Thai hospitals might bill for treating RTA's?

My niece maybe could have stipulated that she was merely complying with the orders of police and that in handing money over she was not in any way admitting responsibility for the collision?  

Many years ago, maybe 10 years ago on another trip to LOS, I was crossing the road on foot and AFTER I crossed I heard this massive squealing, truck went sideways, went into the ditch (shallow, grass) and there were people in the back of the truck.    Usually, if I'm already on the other side of the road before the car passes, it's not that close.....Seemed like they crashed like 15 meters from me.   long time ago, but it wasn't close.  two-lane highway, one way.   

Anyhow, I thought for sure I was doomed 1 billion baht, jail, whatever.....I stopped, made sure everyone was OK, truck OK, helped push the truck out, looked at the skid marks in the road way behind where I crossed............and I was trying to process if the person was drinking.    

No cops, they left, I left..................  I really think they saw a falang and just totally freaked out because they were likely going way over the speed limit.   

I'm still shocked they didn't call the police.......so I have to believe something was off....   

sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I had a girl on a motorcy hit the side of my car while I was making a turn....She was actually going faster than the road traffic....

She got scraped up & we took her to a hospital....60baht....

We then met at the police station where it was called 50/50 with each of us paying our own vehicle damages....

There was a processing fee of either 400 or 500 paid to the police after all the paperwork was compiled....

The girl was a student & I believe my wife gave her some baht as she felt sorry for her ....

You were very fair and so were the police. Good on you and your Mrs for taking the girl to hospital and for giving her some cash too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, seedy said:

Never been asked by the police for $$$ after accident.

Always have First Class insurance - or 2+ - then call the insurance company, they send someone out who handles everything.

Do they pay the police - Unknown.

Yes first class insurance just call the insurance company and their rep. handles it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Poor driving from you, you can't just indicate and turn, need to look properly, move your head, not just use the mirror

Where my niece was turning it was a newly laid and painted dual carriageway plus wide breakdown/shoulder 'lane'. I suggested in future she should move from the left hand lane and drive within the breakdown lane for some distance to minimise the risk of being undertaken by moto's whilst making a left hand turn. Not sure of the legality of doing this but it does seem sensible.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Where my niece was turning it was a newly laid and painted dual carriageway plus wide breakdown/shoulder 'lane'. I suggested in future she should move from the left hand lane and drive within the breakdown lane for some distance to minimise the risk of being undertaken by moto's whilst making a left hand turn. Not sure of the legality of doing this but it does seem sensible.   

Yeah that's a good idea, plus almost overlooking to ensure no one there, we are in Thailand after all

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

What did OP want to do legit or not wait until the next day or next week for the car to be inspected before you could continue or hand over 500 with a thankyou officer. ????

Reminded me of an incident in Argentina. Guy was from Cuba but had emigrated to Florida hence had USA passport. A female traffic cop stopped him and offered him a deal. Speaking in English she said she would accept 50% of the fine if he paid it to her now. Otherwise, he would have to pay the full amount which could only be paid in one town that was 200 km back in the direction from which he had come. The guy switched from American English to perfect Spanish and called her bluff saying he had to go back there anyway. She backed down and waved him on his way.    

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Poor driving from you, you can't just indicate and turn, need to look properly, move your head, not just use the mirror

Poor driving from the motorcyclist actually....  

The Ops wife was in the left lane turning left. 

One ‘could’ present the argument that because the Op’s Wife doesn’t have 100% 360 degree visibility that she is at fault because she didn’t see the motorcyclist speeding up the inside (left side), however, the road laws exist to prevent these very issues with the understanding that visibility is never 100% or 360 degree. 

So often I’m left cringing as I witness motorcyclists who’ve failed to recognise an indicating slowing car, truck or lorry and the motorcycle still tries to squeeze up the inside...  Many have such low levels of observation and self preservation. 

This is one of the primary reasons I have both a forward and a rear facing dash-cam. 

23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I would pay the 500B to the police without hesitation.

Keep them happy, because they can make life miserable.

The legal situation is irrelevant for this.

Agreed... I have been in that situation and paid. I did question the fee and was told something along the lines of “because you were in an accident”....  (a somewhat vague and clumsy response, but also language was an issue) - the police at the time were otherwise very fair.

But, it would be interesting to know exactly what this fee is... officially. 

If it is a ‘real thing’ or if this is just something the police have started charing because they feel like it and its become the social norm. 

59 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Reminded me of an incident in Argentina. Guy was from Cuba but had emigrated to Florida hence had USA passport. A female traffic cop stopped him and offered him a deal. Speaking in English she said she would accept 50% of the fine if he paid it to her now. Otherwise, he would have to pay the full amount which could only be paid in one town that was 200 km back in the direction from which he had come. The guy switched from American English to perfect Spanish and called her bluff saying he had to go back there anyway. She backed down and waved him on his way.    

I've done similar here (no with the perfect language switch though)... but having been pulled over at the traffic lights for speeding (was told there was a camera further up the road) with no proof of the speed I was doing, the BiB couldn’t tell me what speed I was doing... 

.... I ended up just telling them to give me a ticket or stop wasting my time...  they waved me on - writing a ticket was clearly too much effort. 

If you are stopped for something ’spurious’ and you don’t believe you have done anything wrong, simply ask them to write you a ticket and refuse the road-side payment - in many cases they’ll simply wave you on.

That said, the reality in Thailand is that the BiB are very rarely interested in Westerners driving a car. 

Even on a motorcycle the BiB in Bangkok do not seem interested in Westerners, that said, in area’s such as Patong and Pattaya the BiB seem to pull over foreigners a lot, perhaps because they’ve learned so many tourists are riding / driving without a licence or have had a drink etc... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1