Stray Farang Lurking On Shady Sois Of The Capital And Elsewhere

bendix

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walking around the streets of Bangkok, I am increasingly alarmed at the increasing number of stray farangs I see about the place.

Now, you know me. I'm a live and let live type of guy, but surely something can be done to help these people. It's sad to see them - wandering aimlessly, bereft of direction, often in a sickening physical condition. Just this morning I saw one with his head split open. Unlike canuckumuck's experience with a soi dog, I couldn't see any brain inside. He did, though, have a half-drunk bottle of beer chang in his hands.

So what is the right approach? Should we do something about it and, if so, what? Or should we pay more heed to Jet Gorgon's approach and adopt a more 'mai pen rai' approach?

These folks need to understand that self help is the only way to go

Here we go again all the kick em when they are down brigade. So you have got more cash than some .Doe's this make you a better person?If so you must be very shallow.Oh i forgot about the living up to the title of Sexy millionare man .Nobody knows what these people have suffered so just pick another target instead of the easy one.If anybody can't handle seeing these people well go & live in the jungle.There are alot of people that are here that have mental illnesses .that don't make them bad people it makes them ill .Stop trying to make out that you are better than some poor sod that may be ill or down on is luck .Pick a harder target & maybe you might imppress someone

Walking around the streets of Bangkok, I am increasingly alarmed at the increasing number of stray farangs I see about the place.

Now, you know me. I'm a live and let live type of guy, but surely something can be done to help these people. It's sad to see them - wandering aimlessly, bereft of direction, often in a sickening physical condition. Just this morning I saw one with his head split open. Unlike canuckumuck's experience with a soi dog, I couldn't see any brain inside. He did, though, have a half-drunk bottle of beer chang in his hands.

So what is the right approach? Should we do something about it and, if so, what? Or should we pay more heed to Jet Gorgon's approach and adopt a more 'mai pen rai' approach?

Here we go again all the kick em when they are down brigade. So you have got more cash than some .Doe's this make you a better person?If so you must be very shallow.Oh i forgot about the living up to the title of Sexy millionare man .Nobody knows what these people have suffered so just pick another target instead of the easy one.If anybody can't handle seeing these people well go & live in the jungle.There are alot of people that are here that have mental illnesses .that don't make them bad people it makes them ill .Stop trying to make out that you are better than some poor sod that may be ill or down on is luck .Pick a harder target & maybe you might imppress someone

I have less cash then most. Can I kick them chacha? :o

Chachachacha. It would appear your name is well suited to your brain.

If you sped it up just a fraction you would see that far from kicking them when I'm down, I am in fact demonstrating considerable empathy for their suffering. Inspired by sonnyJ and his soi dogs, I am offering tangible ideas to help my fellow man.

What are you doing? :o

And sonnyJ, i deeply deeply resent the accusation that this thread is not serious. What is more serious than showing concern for Homo (semi) Erectus. You can keep your soi dogs, and good luck to you. I've got bigger fish to fry.

Edited by bendix

Quote Bendix: What is more serious than showing concern for Homo (semi) Erectus. You can keep your soi dogs, and good luck to you. I've got bigger fish to fry.

That's me you're talking about.

Thank you for your compassion Mr. Bendix :o

Edited by qwertz

Kick em in the ass and put um in the gutter where they belong, at least they can't moan about a Thai doing it to them.......

Honestly? People like this should be shipped home, but why should it cost Thailand to get these people out? Find them once take the name, find them twice report it to thier embassy, third time they should go, at thier own countrys cost.

Edit

Oh dear, I better stay off the streets myself now :o

Edited by solent01

I once lived on a soi off Sukhumwit near Ekkamai. There was a a diry, long haired bum I saw ever so often lurking about the streets. He had no shoes and no shirt and it looks like he mostly rummaged through trash like some of the Thai locals. He was some sort of farang. I always wanted to ask him what the ###### happened to him and why was he a vagrant bum in Bangkok.

Theorising here, but if you ran out of money in Thailand and missed your flight, you could find yourself in a cleft stick.

You have to pay to get out; if you overstay that can run to a tidy sum.

If you don't have it, then you're illegal; maybe then it's better to lie low and rough it than get jailed.

Could you declare yourself insane and be repatriated?

Could you do a last border run (assuming you still had a passport) and hope for better treatment, say in Malaysia?

Or would you have to pay to get out of there too?

Howdy,

I seen one of them "Stray Farangs" up in Pai. He ask me for a 100 baht :o

I heard a girl call him "Key Nok" in a strange tone....then he just walked off. I should of gave him a clean T-shirt or something. Would of hated to be in his shoes, but he's in Pai and I'm not :D .

This post reminded me of a song. Anyone remember the song "When Your Strange" by Jim Morrison

Chung *j*

Well said.

Why are 'farang' so embarrassed by a few fellow 'farang' that are down and nearly out? What about the stray asians in Europe and the States? And other places. Trying to gain 'respect' in Asia? Falling for the farang tag? Are we some homogeneous blob from farangland?

Sad.

Such people may be deserving of charity unless they transpire to be erstwhile estate agents, second hand car dealers or, heaven forbid, corporate lawyers in which case they should be roundly abused for their evident sins to a chorus of " Buddha wants you for a sunbeam ".

A lot of these guys walking around with Big Changs and looking like bums are filthy rich and could buy and sell Bendix, or at least squash him like a rodent. I say if they are legal then leave em alone; if illegal, ship em out

F that, I would buy the Mr B a drink and send him off with a women, :D

Mind you, I wouldn't pay for either :o

Edited by solent01

The next poll should be: What should be done about TV posters with no sense of humor?

I like the "neuter and release" idea. :D

well spotted Cdnvic, at least someone is keeping up. :D

for the rest of you. :o

Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. An unpleasant process - usually ending in the death of the subject.

I have no idea whom I stole that from.

The next poll should be: What should be done about TV posters with no sense of humor?

I like the "neuter and release" idea. :D

well spotted Cdnvic, at least someone is keeping up. :D

for the rest of you. :o

Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. An unpleasant process - usually ending in the death of the subject.

I have no idea whom I stole that from.

canuckamuck, i think we're wasting our time here :D

where are these guys mostly comming from? just last week i saw one with no sandels on and roaming aimlessly on kao sarn raod(looking crunk) and looked like he rolled in the ally a few hours, he was so dirty and black, surly if they have money to come here they should have some decency.

What about the stray asians in Europe and the States? And other places.

Can honestly say there's not one asian panhandler where I am. Wish I could say the same about the rest. :o

I was thinking along those lines but then remembered that the few stray Asians you see bumming around in the UK are British citizens.

I would say a large proportion of Asians who emigrate to find work find it, work bluddy hard and become successful. Most of the remainder find work, work bluddy hard and survive. More than can be said of many true Brits of Anglo Saxon descent.

Well us Brits are helping with the problem through our new passport fees. The official reason given for yet another hike in fees (due in October - the third rise in about 5 years) is that more UK citizens are requiring consular assistance when falling into difficulties while overseas. Not sure how much help you can get in Bangkok though.

I notice that among the farang vagrants in LOS there are very few women.

I have seen a few farang lady scammers though, usually quite well groomed and clean.

And I would contest the comment from one poster who thinks many vagrants are mentally ill.

I suspect most know exactly what they're doing and that the real mentally ill are populating the bars.

I notice that among the farang vagrants in LOS there are very few women.

I have seen a few farang lady scammers though, usually quite well groomed and clean.

And I would contest the comment from one poster who thinks many vagrants are mentally ill.

I suspect most know exactly what they're doing and that the real mentally ill are populating the bars.

I'm sure the forum members who frequent places like Tropical Bert's are really grateful for that insight.