CRF300L purchasing quandry

nikoswe

Hello everyone,

New to forum and was looking for some help and advice from others with experience.

At first, I was looking to purchase either the Honda CRF300L or the 300Rally. 

I think Ive pretty much settled on the idea of the 300L for there are a lot of good trails where I live and I think I prefer the idea of green laning and going off exploring to the roads. For obvious reasons. Although I did like the idea of the Rally for longer road trips say to Pai, MHS etc.

I thought it would be a straight forward process of going into any of the Honda franchises, seeing both bikes, having a test ride, deciding which one and paying up.

Seems outside of Bangkok this is pretty much impossible. You have to pay for the bike up front and they will order it. No test drives, you pay, it comes, its yours. 

I find this really odd and certainly makes it difficult before seeing whats available in the flesh. Even have the new Yoshimura edition now, exclusive to Thailand. Although I would probably just throw on the same exhaust at a later date as I prefer the decals and overall look of the standard L, but still would be nice to see all options together and decide for myself.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

I know the rear suspension is the achilles heel on these and will be the first thing to go.

Should I expect a discount for cash? If so how much would be the norm?

Am I right in thinking these are all made in Samutprakhan - both engines, frames and componentry etc.

What are other CRF300 owners thoughts and feelings on the bike?

I was even looking at the new CBR150R for good looks and cheap-as-chips fun but I feel the CRF would be more suited to environment and probably one of the best bikes for Northern Thailand.

I am in Mukdahan and would be interested in hearing from other riders in the area who know some clubs, decent trails, shops, mechanics etc too.

A lot of questions I know so appreciate the patience and any input in helping. Thanks. Niko.

P.S. Do they have straight up first party Honda Dealers (Manufacturer to consumer) in Thailand as opposed to franchises or is that the same model across Thailand as a whole?

Edited by nikoswe

From a personal view the 300 wasn't about when i bought a CRF250 but i chose the the 'L' over the Rally because the rally had a lot more bodywork and looked a bit of a <deleted> bike to me.

If you want off road the obvious choice is the CRF over a CBR.

As to rear suspension you can adjust the preload to the full preload position manually.

They new CRF's have been messed about apparently on reduction of height i heard they were a tall bike so if you are tall you can get the height back to what they were. 

They are idea knock about bikes and capable of long road journeys as well if you don't mind slow speed. 

1 hour ago, nikoswe said:

Should I expect a discount for cash?

NO.

Can't go wrong with the L.

Nor the Rally.

For longer road trips,

tire selection is prolly more relevant

than L vs. Rally..

Also buy a 2nd-hand ceeber while you are at it.

~$1000.

Good paved-road bike.

have the Rally and my mate the 300l, the 300L is lighter and easier to handle off road but the small tank 7.8l is a pain.....

in Pattaya the 300L can be purchased straight from the show room, no discount, no test ride......for the Rally have to wait several months....

we both did Oehlins suspension upgrades for 30K front and rear and other upgrades, handle bar, crash bars etc

In and around Pattaya are plenty L's to rent but no Rally

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

From a personal view the 300 wasn't about when i bought a CRF250 but i chose the the 'L' over the Rally because the rally had a lot more bodywork and looked a bit of a <deleted> bike to me.

How so? Its the same bike pretty much apart from say bigger tank, plastics, screen, lights and extra weight.

If you want off road the obvious choice is the CRF over a CBR.

Obviously! ???? As I said, thats no longer an option. More a brain fart in head over heart justification.

As to rear suspension you can adjust the preload to the full preload position manually.

I have seen a good number of thai videos of guys actually improving on factory set up. I will find and share when I get a moment.

They new CRF's have been messed about apparently on reduction of height i heard they were a tall bike so if you are tall you can get the height back to what they were. How do you mean?

They are idea knock about bikes and capable of long road journeys as well if you don't mind slow speed. 

3 hours ago, papa al said:

NO.

Can't go wrong with the L.

Nor the Rally.

For longer road trips,

tire selection is prolly more relevant

than L vs. Rally..

Also buy a 2nd-hand ceeber while you are at it.

~$1000.

Good paved-road bike.

Quite blunt. That from your experience when buying or just hear say? Thanks

2 hours ago, MrJ said:

have the Rally and my mate the 300l, the 300L is lighter and easier to handle off road but the small tank 7.8l is a pain.....

in Pattaya the 300L can be purchased straight from the show room, no discount, no test ride......for the Rally have to wait several months....

we both did Oehlins suspension upgrades for 30K front and rear and other upgrades, handle bar, crash bars etc

In and around Pattaya are plenty L's to rent but no Rally

Smaller tank size not an issue and sufficient for fun day rides. Im no longer comparing now as Im pretty much set on the ol' 300L now, or at least I think so ????. You know how these things are! Cheers.

14 minutes ago, nikoswe said:

How so? Its the same bike pretty much apart from say bigger tank, plastics, screen, lights and extra weight.

Obviously! ???? As I said, thats no longer an option. More a brain fart in head over heart justification.

I have seen a good number of thai videos of guys actually improving on factory set up. I will find and share when I get a moment.

Apologies. Not sure why but it wouldnt let me edit that 4th point.

How do you mean, exactly?

A few further phone calls today and was told I would  have to leave a deposit to order in and I was told that a discount for cash would be possible but when I asked how much they said they would need to investigate further. Dont expect much but at least its something. Considering how their 2-3 year old brand new bikes are the same price, if not more in some instances, a lot of things dont make an awful lot of sense over here. ????

• Like 1

If you want to see what the CRF300 is capable of take a look at the Itchy Boots videos on YouTube.  A Dutch woman riding one from South America to Alaska.  She does things with that bike that no ADV bike could do.

Also worth watching her videos from a rally across the Kalahari desert on a pretty stock CRF250.  She did really well against a whole bunch of super expensive bikes specifically prepared for such an event.  Well up to the point where the rear subframe broke because it was overloaded with Jerry cans and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Edited by In the jungle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, nikoswe said:

Maybe where youre located but no such luck up here or else I would have definitely considered that. Thanks.

Yeah there are many in Chiang Rai but mostly 250 if there is any real difference apart from engine size.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, nikoswe said:

Considering how their 2-3 year old brand new bikes are the same price, if not more in some instances,

If they haven't been registered or used and the design hasn't changed then really they are still new. Tires and battery may have deteriorated slightly but otherwise...

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

If they haven't been registered or used and the design hasn't changed then really they are still new. Tires and battery may have deteriorated slightly but otherwise...

They had 2 and 3 year old CBR150R which were the same and more than the new 2022 model. Go figure!?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

If you want to see what the CRF300 is capable of take a look at the Itchy Boots videos on YouTube.  A Dutch woman riding one from South America to Alaska.  She does things with that bike that no ADV bike could do.

Also worth watching her videos from a rally across the Kalahari desert on a pretty stock CRF250.  She did really well against a whole bunch of super expensive bikes specifically prepared for such an event.  Well up to the point where the rear subframe broke because it was overloaded with Jerry cans and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Yes Ive heard her name mentioned several times now. I will have to get around to checking her channel out. She has a Rally though, right?

Edited by nikoswe

I loved watching the Long Way series with McGregor and Boorman. 

I will take a look at her stuff on youtube tonight! Although I will more than likely end up back looking at the Rally again.

Edited by nikoswe

Up to you and the brainwashing by the sound of it.

The as sold CRF is a good enough bike for most riders needs, you wana be OCD about a little motorbike like the CRF again up to you.

3 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

If you watch the Long Way Down, North to South through Africa, their huge and heavy BMW ADV bikes really struggled when the going got tough despite the fact they had support vehicles.

Lightness is always a virtue in a bike and particularly so in an off road bike.

Exactly. You dont need big bikes. Its a lot of BS, ego and snobbery most of the time with adventure biking. Although Ive always had a thing for the Africa Twin.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Up to you and the brainwashing by the sound of it.

The as sold CRF is a good enough bike for most riders needs, you wana be OCD about a little motorbike like the CRF again up to you.

Brainwashing? I can hardly understand most of what you're writing but what are you talking about?

In fact, dont bother, you sound like a complete Richard head if Im completely honest and prove my point above wholeheartedly.

• Haha 1

Quite blunt. That from your experience when buying or just hear say? Thanks

Hearsay mostly.

Never got discount for cash purchases, 3x.

////

Dealership makes more much from finance sale

than cash sale.

Why would they give cash incentive for cash sale.

They might give you a 200baht helmet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, papa al said:

Hearsay mostly.

Never got discount for cash purchases, 3x.

////

Dealership makes more much from finance sale

than cash sale.

Why would they give cash incentive for cash sale.

They might give you a 200baht helmet.

Thanks.

Us Swedes drive a hard bargain and God loves a trier! ????

42 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Afaik the CRF300L is only available in the low version in Thailand, with shortened suspension.

I thought they were standard parts across the board and just the preload was adjusted

But Ive just noticed that there is a 50mm difference between international and thai model seat height.

As another member pointed out, maybe thats just the adjustment.

I may be wrong but I really cant see them tooling up for different parts for such a small difference.

Edited by nikoswe