CRF300L purchasing quandry

nikoswe

6 minutes ago, DRD123 said:

now i did not get into what that means for suspension because it wont be Ohlins. I know how good Ohlins is. I will ask him what he does exactly..

The shop I use does suspension work also.

Front fork springs I dont know the brand but they have a kit to add a second spring in the front and both sides progressive.

Rear shock is a YSS I think. No remote reservoir.

Of course their springs are for Thai riders, but imagine he can source for heavier riders carrying baggage.

26 minutes ago, DRD123 said:

Well i picked up my Rally 250 with the ECU flash and its a 300...

was 23.96 hp now 27.88

torque was 23.46 now 27.74

I loved this bike before but now its perfect.

With mods you can make the crf250 the same with cog changes you only to lose some top speed,  you could still manage 120kph off though if you want. 

Edited by Kwasaki

25 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

With mods you can make the crf250 the same with cog changes you only to lose some top speed,  you could still manage 120kph off though if you want. 

Ya i will play around with gearing when i build the CFR dirt bike out...i am happy with my Rally gearing now but for dirt i like to lower the gearing as well for slow speed work.120km is all i wanna go at these days anyways.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, seedy said:

The shop I use does suspension work also.

Front fork springs I dont know the brand but they have a kit to add a second spring in the front and both sides progressive.

Rear shock is a YSS I think. No remote reservoir.

Of course their springs are for Thai riders, but imagine he can source for heavier riders carrying baggage.

Euro bike suspension is insane if i get richer i may yet but a Husky 501 but i think progressive front and a YSS would be pretty nice. I have turned my last bike a DR650 into a decent bike with Cogent suspension but that bike was horrible from the factory. This Honda Rally is a Dr650 killer IMO, kind of fills the same niche for me but its seems so modern.

6 minutes ago, DRD123 said:

Euro bike suspension is insane if i get richer i may yet but a Husky 501 but i think progressive front and a YSS would be pretty nice. I have turned my last bike a DR650 into a decent bike with Cogent suspension but that bike was horrible from the factory. This Honda Rally is a Dr650 killer IMO, kind of fills the same niche for me but its seems so modern.

You can make the standard bike to preform well enough for what you need in Thailand.

No need waste money on OCD gear like some here, unless you want to do the famous world rally cross desert event. ????

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You can make the standard bike to preform well enough for what you need in Thailand.

No need waste money on OCD gear like some here, unless you want to do the famous world rally cross desert event. ????

I like took prices and took bike...cheap and cheerful.

On a test ride of the 501 something broke and i bailed out on the purchase a few years ago.Its more bike than i need i will only end up hurting myself.Rather wrong the neck off a smaller bike than have too much power for my skill level.

Not getting hurt is the goal at my age.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, DRD123 said:

I live in CNX and bought a used 2017  Rally250 with modded cam from a CBR300 and have put on around 5000km so far locally here and love this bike to bits. I tricked out the seat to a seat concepts style wider one  locally here for 800 baht and am getting an ECU reflash today but like a quiet bike so not messing with exhaust. Suspension was a pain for me because the last owner stiffened the bike by added a longer clevice on the bottom of the shock--i am 6 foot 32" inseam but tippy toed on it. I will try the 'stock" suspension when i pick up the bike but i reckon i will just leave it cause i am 90kg and only carry 10kg of gear when i travel. I ride 80/20 road/dirt small secondary roads mostly up here and this bike is ideal.

There are plenty for sale on FB for around 100k, i paid 90k but have done the clutch and a fuel pump but no complaints. Well its a bit jerky with fuel injection but no where near as bad as Huskys and other new bikes that come too lean these days. I hear the ECU reflash helps a lot but i find all fuel injected bikes to be like this and i do get used to it and accomodate with the clutch.

I am thinking of buying a new  300 Rally for :

1-ABS brakes--look i am old and have had  dozens of bikes but i am wondering if i am missing out by not having ABS?

2-slipper clutch-it works like a cush drive to some extent which just smooths out power to wheel delivery from what i hear as well as being one finger light.

3-a little more power without modding the bike.

4-warranty-not a bad thing to have but mind you its a Honda not sure the value because these bikes are so damn reliable.

Downsides

-i wanna pick one up and ride away which seems difficult cause they are so popular up North.

-Closer ratio gearing...not sure how that will feel tbh.

-75,000 baht extra will i even notice the difference?

Like everyone says if i was offroading more i would get the L version and have some nice street legal 606's knobbies on it and probably mod it heavily suspension especially.

I like the Rally for wind protection and larger range-its my poor mans Adventure bike that is cheap and cheerful and many smile per gallon.

I might have to buy both versions because they can be made into a reliable enduro bike for offroad with the L version and a damn fine, maybe the best lightweight Adventure bike like Itchy Boots has shown. I do 500 km days and love it but am also  happy farting around town cause its small and flickable.

You cant go wrong with this bike but it is the jack of all trades so its the best at nothing and good at everything.

1.  ABS:  It adds complexity and a little weight and on the CRF it is probably a fairly unsophisticated system.  I certainly would not pay a premium to get it.  In fact I would probably remove it on a dirt bike.

2.  Slipper clutch:  Desirable in my opinion.  It isn't really comparable to a cush drive.  Suggest you Google how it works rather than me attempt a half baked explanation.  Almost certainly could be retro-fitted to your current bike if you want it.

3.  A little more power is nice within reason; or alternatively improve other aspects of performance such as weight, suspension, brakes, tyres, comfort etc.  

4.  Warranty:  It's a Honda.  Not worth paying the price to swap bikes for this. 

Edited by In the jungle

51 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

1.  ABS:  It adds complexity and a little weight and on the CRF it is probably a fairly unsophisticated system.  I certainly would not pay a premium to get it.  In fact I would probably remove it on a dirt bike.

2.  Slipper clutch:  Desirable in my opinion.  It isn't really comparable to a cush drive.  Suggest you Google how it works rather than me attempt a half baked explanation.  Almost certainly could be retro-fitted to your current bike if you want it.

3.  A little more power is nice within reason; or alternatively improve other aspects of performance such as weight, suspension, brakes, tyres, comfort etc.  

4.  Warranty:  It's a Honda.  Not worth paying the price to swap bikes for this. 

You remind me why i quit using this site...slipper clutch prevents rear chatter under hard braking. Cush drive rubber blocks that  dampen the drive train chatter. Either way thanks for being a winner. Got my clutch replaced two weeks ago at Honda dealer here he said no to the slipper clutch wont for in my 250 Rally  but maybe he should talk to you because your an expert in these things.

11 minutes ago, DRD123 said:

You remind me why i quit using this site...slipper clutch prevents rear chatter under hard braking. Cush drive rubber blocks that  dampen the drive train chatter. Either way thanks for being a winner. Got my clutch replaced two weeks ago at Honda dealer here he said no to the slipper clutch wont for in my 250 Rally  but maybe he should talk to you because your an expert in these things.

OK.  Got that loud and clear.

Slipper clutch = cush drive; to you at least. 

Not to anyone else but clearly you think you know best. 

Slipper clutch cannot be retro-fitted?  Try a better dealer.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, DRD123 said:

And why so aggressive?

You came here asking for opinions.  You got one.

Why the unjustified and clearly ignorant hate?

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

And why so aggressive?

You came here asking for opinions.  You got one.

Why the unjustified and clearly ignorant hate?

What makes me laugh is a thread like this talking about a small displacement bike. 

17 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

slipper clutch prevents rear chatter under hard braking

???? Slipper clutch prevents the wheel losing traction if one inadvertently selects a gear too low. ????  At least that is what i believe. Preventing wheel chatter under hard braking is ABS, isn't it? Or does ABS induce wheel chatter.

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

So would you pass on a ride on a TZ250 or an NSR500?

Yes I know you have a bigger capacity bike.

Ridden many bikes in UK because i use to service bikes and repair them for mechanical damage and crash damage.

Not interested in small bikes, I would like a ride on a classic NSR500 but i have never liked smely 2 strokes