US SSA Form 7161/7162

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

A suspension from receiving SS could play havoc with those on monthly proof of pension with Thai Immigration, instead of the 800K. I can't believe how cavalierly SS is with wrecking people's lives.

Yeap...no augment there....Or just putting food on the table...paying for a roof over your head...buying required medications...etc....etc....etc.  I'm sure they know it can cause a big, negative impact for some.

But at the same time I'm sure the SSA has laws/regulations/rules to comply with (whether we agree with them or not) and would also tell you they provide notices (1st 7162, 2nd 7162, and Suspension Notice over approx a 6 month period that unless they get a 7162 from you your benefits starting with the January benefit (paid early Feb) will be suspended.   But once getting that 7162 back from you any and all suspended payments will be paid within a few days to a few weeks.....no loss to you (except maybe food on the table, roof over your head, and meeting monthly income transfers for renewal of your Thailand visa.).  

It is what it is.  It's the way they run the SSA pension railroad.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yeap...no augment there....Or just putting food on the table...paying for a roof over your head...buying required medications...etc....etc....etc.  I'm sure they know it can cause a big, negative impact for some.

But at the same time I'm sure the SSA has laws/regulations/rules to comply with (whether we agree with them or not) and would also tell you they provide notices (1st 7162, 2nd 7162, and Suspension Notice over approx a 6 month period that unless they get a 7162 from you your benefits starting with the January benefit (paid early Feb) will be suspended.   But once getting that 7162 back from you any and all suspended payments will be paid within a few days to a few weeks.....no loss to you (except maybe food on the table, roof over your head, and meeting monthly income transfers for renewal of your Thailand visa.).  

It is what it is.  It's the way they run the SSA pension railroad.

But shouldn't those rules and regs also require them to process the forms they demand? If people returned the 7162s back in mid July, that is plenty of time for ss to do their damn job. 

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

But shouldn't those rules and regs also require them to process the forms they demand? If people returned the 7162s back in mid July, that is plenty of time for ss to do their damn job. 

And I fully expect all forms the SSA "received" in July were processed shortly after receipt. 

But if the mail system, specifically the USPS, is not getting the 7162s delivered to the SSA within a few weeks but many times taking months, well, the SSA can't process what they don't receive.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pib said:

And I fully expect all forms the SSA "received" in July were processed shortly after receipt. 

I do hope you are correct. I went to my PO Box at the Taling Chan post office today and did not have a second notice waiting in my box. As most of those receiving them apparently did so earlier in the week, I hope this means I'm free and clear. I'll check back on Wednesday and see. I still think this is a deplorable way for SS to leave recipients hanging in the air. It was especially disconcerting in that other main topic on Form 7162 to see one poster report he talked with someone at the Wilkes-Barre building who told him that thousands of returns were laying around in boxes on the floor. 

• Like 1

I received first mailing of form 7162 in July . Sent back end of July with tracking . Only tracked to the airport in Bangkok . Just received second notice November 18th . Just sent it back immediately on 18th but this time just normal air mail . Hopefully they will get it at Wilkes Barre . Is there anyway we can check on this ? 

21 minutes ago, jerryonjay said:

I received first mailing of form 7162 in July . Sent back end of July with tracking . Only tracked to the airport in Bangkok . Just received second notice November 18th . Just sent it back immediately on 18th but this time just normal air mail . Hopefully they will get it at Wilkes Barre . Is there anyway we can check on this ? 

Use the USPS tracking app downloadable from Google or Apple.   Or use the USPS tracking website below:

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input

All other tracking websites/app you might use, to include the Thailand Postal System app/website get their USPS tracking data from the USPS tracking system and also use their own descriptions of what a particular tracking code/status means.   Additionally, USPS Tracking provides more detailed info than the Thai Postal tracking.    

The Thai Postal system tracking number you get when you mail an item to the U.S. is a valid USPS tracking number also....it's not just for Thai Postal system tracking only.

Just get your tracking straight from the horse's mouth....the USPS Tracking System.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 7:11 PM, Pib said:

But if the mail system, specifically the USPS, is not getting the 7162s delivered to the SSA within a few weeks but many times taking months, well, the SSA can't process what they don't receive.

Yet a completed 1st notice form sent to the SSA FROM a US Post Office in California in late Aug/early Sept, and yet receiving that 2nd notice dated up to 8 weeks after I mailed the first one from California?

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 3:02 PM, ubonjoe said:

I know mine was received on October 13th. That is what tracking has as the delivery date and it was signed for by JD on the Thai post tracking.

The 2nd 7162 is dated as October 27th.

The notice sent with form states this on it.

image.png.9e5fa83ed42243307317f0226d19ef50.png

The 13th was within the last few days I would assume so I do not plan on sending a 2nd one to them.

Almost the same as 2019 when I got the 2nd notice. Did not sent it then and my SSA payments did not stop.

I'm getting nervous. I tried to change my address on my SS profile and got this;

"If you have a foreign address, you will not be able to make changes to your address online. Please contact the Federal Benefits Unit for your country of residence if you live outside the U.S. or a U.S. territory."

1) Where is the 'Federal Benefits Unit' for Thailand?

I use my US Registered Agent's address in my SS profile for real estate LLC protection (anonymity).

2) Can I leave it that way and continue deposits into my US bank?

27 minutes ago, ding said:

1) Where is the 'Federal Benefits Unit' for Thailand?

At the US embassy in Manila. https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/social-security

28 minutes ago, ding said:

I use my US Registered Agent's address in my SS profile for real estate LLC protection (anonymity).

2) Can I leave it that way and continue deposits into my US bank?

Yes

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

How is it possible that mail from Thailand to the US takes almost 3 months, registered mail no less?

I got the second notice today, but I also have tracking information that shows the mail was delivered........

About the same as mine but I mailed mine in July. I was checking the USPS tracking for it and Thai post.

I did a lost parcel report to the USPS and then it finally arrived on October 13.

17 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

How is it possible that mail from Thailand to the US takes almost 3 months, registered mail no less?

I got the second notice today, but I also have tracking information that shows the mail was delivered........

2022-11-28_16-31-10.png

Well, it got from Thailand to the U.S. in only 10 days.  It was mailed  on 1 Aug and it arrived the U.S. (the USPS international Service Center NY City) on 11 Aug. 

So now the U.S. Postal System has your registered mail...and then USPS takes over two months to get it from NY City to Wilkes Barre where JD of SSA picked it up to take it back to the Wilkes Barre SSA Data Processing Center.   

Below is USPS Tracking which displays the tracking a little differently than the Thai Postal System tracking.  Unfortunately, foreign registered mail seems to all too often to go Missing in Action for months within USPS.  

image.png.53e819169079774089053189a09a2f14.png

19 hours ago, mistral53 said:

The last tracking info I received on both the Thai Post website and USPS is that my mail left Jamaica NY on 24 July. I've not received a second notice. I suppose this is the best we can expect from an inefficient, indifferent, incompetent mail system. And I do not mean Thai Post.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2022 at 12:56 PM, racyrick said:

Well, it's now November 14th and not a single report that anyone has received a second form 7161 or 7162.

Very weird. I wonder if SSA has changed their procedure for this year. Of course, no updated info from SSA.

Got my first 7162 on August 5th and it was dated June 27. I returned it completed to the Thai post office in Chiang Khan, Loei on August 9. Paid 48 baht for an air mail stamp. Got my 2nd notice of the 7162 on November 22. It was dated October 27. This time I sent it back with a tracking number for about 300 baht extra and the post office told me that it would take 5 weeks to reach the states which puts me past the 60 day deadline. 

However, I never received either the first or the second 7161 forms for my wife who is designated payee for the SSI benefit for our 15 year old daughter. I sent a request for assistance with the FBU Manila office and here is there reply from 2 days ago.

AATWAfvjnVcuqmoly0xs4OyBWBNCM4f5bfI3ndK45519sPyeqZwnLagj66Tjew7mmR_c=s40-p

FBU Manila

Nov 28, 2022, 9:18 AM (2 days ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration's Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Our records show that you are scheduled to receive the reporting form SSA-7162 / SSA-7161 this year. The form was initially mailed out in June 2022, and a second mailing went out in early November 2022. If you still haven’t received the form, you may complete the blank form attached to this email and mail it to the appropriate address below.

Mailing Address for Form SSA-7162:
Social Security Administration
P.O. Box 7162
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania 18767-7162
U.S.A.

Mailing Address for Form SSA-7161:
P.O. Box 7161
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania 18767-7161
U.S.A.

We recommend using regular postal mail, as registered mail and some courier services may be unable to deliver to a P.O. box. The form cannot be submitted via email. Do not submit the completed form to the Federal Benefits Unit in Manila or to a U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2022 at 12:56 PM, racyrick said:

Well, it's now November 14th and not a single report that anyone has received a second form 7161 or 7162.

Very weird. I wonder if SSA has changed their procedure for this year. Of course, no updated info from SSA.

Got my first 7162 on August 5th and it was dated June 27. I returned it completed to the Thai post office in Chiang Khan, Loei on August 9. Paid 48 baht for an air mail stamp. Got my 2nd notice of the 7162 on November 22. It was dated October 27. This time I sent it back with a tracking number for about 300 baht extra and the post office told me that it would take 5 weeks to reach the states which puts me past the 60 day deadline. 

However, I never received either the first or the second 7161 forms for my wife who is designated payee for the SSI benefit for our 15 year old daughter. I sent a request for assistance with the FBU Manila office and here is there reply from 2 days ago.

FBU Manila

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration's Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Our records show that you are scheduled to receive the reporting form SSA-7162 / SSA-7161 this year. The form was initially mailed out in June 2022, and a second mailing went out in early November 2022. If you still haven’t received the form, you may complete the blank form attached to this email and mail it to the appropriate address below.

P.O. Box 7162
U.S.A.

P.O. Box 7161
U.S.A.

We recommend using regular postal mail, as registered mail and some courier services may be unable to deliver to a P.O. box. The form cannot be submitted via email. Do not submit the completed form to the Federal Benefits Unit in Manila or to a U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, thaisail said:

FBU Manila

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

P.O. Box 7162
U.S.A.

P.O. Box 7161
U.S.A.

Manila's response this year is different than past years regarding non receipt of a 7161/7162 when not received by 1 Nov which is well after the 1st and 2nd notice mailings. 

Before Manila's email response would be complete the blank form they include in their email response and then email/scan/mail that completed to the Manila FBU with no need to mail to Wilkes Barre. The wife had to do this in 2019 when she didn't receive her 7162 by 1 Nov per Manila's instructions.

Sounds like Manila is getting out of the 7161/7162 "acceptance business" related to the 1st or 2nd notice.  But I'm sure they will remain fully involved if a person receives a Suspension notice in Dec/Jan because the SSA regulation requires their involvement when a person's benefits are suspended due to non-response to the 1st or 2nd notice.

44 minutes ago, thaisail said:

Well, it will reach the New York City/Jamaica NY in approx 10 days where it has now entered the Customs and USPS systems.  It first enters Customs.  How long it takes to get thru Customs can range from same day to several days.  Now that Customs has released it back to the USPS a person is at the mercy of the USPS in getting it from NYC to Wilkes Barre which is only 121 miles.  That USPS trek from NYC to Wilkes Barre is where it can only take a few days OR months....OR simply go Missing in Action.

image.png.102a72558feb9c771ea3023dc0f7f815.png

1 hour ago, thaisail said:

FBU Manila

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

P.O. Box 7162
U.S.A.

P.O. Box 7161
U.S.A.

I never received a first or second notice of Form 7161.

I never received a first notice of Form 7162 BUT, I did receive the second notice.

Very frustrating to say the least.

10 hours ago, thaisail said:

10 hours ago, thaisail said:

Woud you be kind enough to give me the blank 7162 form that was attached to your email.  I also have not received form as of today.  thank you.

13 hours ago, racyrick said:

I never received a first or second notice of Form 7161.

I never received a first notice of Form 7162 BUT, I did receive the second notice.

Very frustrating to say the least.

Have received both the first and second 7162 notices. Still no sign of any 7161 for daughter's benefits.

I don't pick up mail every day now, as all bills are online. However I did yesterday & there was my 2nd request letter from SS. I sent it regular mail from a Thai post office first week in September. Going to make copies of my form, then send another one, this afternoon. Garf!  ????

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, neil e Vanslyke said:

when will the 7162 7161 forms start to come out to Thailand this year 2023! i got my first one last year being new to this, because my form came like 30 days later which is usual for mail to come to me from the USA.

thank you for any information!

neil e vanslyke

May/June

On 4/25/2023 at 1:43 PM, neil e Vanslyke said:

when will the 7162 7161 forms start to come out to Thailand this year 2023! i got my first one last year being new to this, because my form came like 30 days later which is usual for mail to come to me from the USA.

thank you for any information!

neil e vanslyke

Before Covid I would get them the first week of June. Last year, I received it the second week of July.

• 9 months later...
On 11/18/2022 at 8:36 PM, Pib said:

For those concerned that did not receive a 7162 back around July you might want to play it safe and just download & complete  a 7162 (download from SSA weblink at bottom) and then mail it via "regular airmail" (not registered airmail) from your local Thai post office....mailing will cost approx Bt49.  And it should arrive Wilkes Barre in approximately 2 to 3 weeks.  Heck mail it a second time a few days later for another Bt49 to play it safe.   Spend Bt49 to Bt98 to avoid possible suspension of benefits staring in Jan 2023 (i.e., no early Feb 2023 payment).

P.O. Box 7162
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18767-7162
U.S.A.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/images/SSA7/G-SSA-7162-OCR-SM-1.pdf

where can i download Form SSA-7161