Enforcement checking for Foreigners on overstay !

Social Media

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I will get nagged here, but I never carry my passport or a paper copy when I am on a night out. Just cash .... I admit I have pics of passport and extension on my phone. 

I only have my Thai ID card as identity in wallet but I am only very, very rarely in tourist areas.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Me three... Which reminds me I haven't taken a picture of my latest extension (done in August) so will do that now. 

Too funny, this thread triggered the same thing with me, I just got finished taking pictures of my new visa and passport. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

There are ways and means to check peoples I.D., but steaming into bars enmasse and checking everyone on  Friday night isn't the best option , its a Friday night and how are people supposed to chill out and relax and not knowing whether there will be an imminent raid or not ?

Im on my 20th understay. I should get a free 12 month visa.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

There are ways and means to check peoples I.D., but steaming into bars enmasse and checking everyone on  Friday night isn't the best option , its a Friday night and how are people supposed to chill out and relax and not knowing whether there will be an imminent raid or not ?

Pattaya gets lots of dodgy farangs

19 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I will get nagged here, but I never carry my passport or a paper copy when I am on a night out. Just cash .... I admit I have pics of passport and extension on my phone. 

Same here, carrying your original passport when going out for a night on the town is a disaster waiting to happen! Losing your passport or having it stolen is a real pain, not only the expense, but having to get a police report, maybe a temporary emergency document etc.

If you have everything on your phone then pretty sure immigration can figure it out if you are on overstay?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

If you have everything on your phone then pretty sure immigration can figure it out if you are on overstay?

Biggest impediment might be my inability to operate my phone and find the pics after being on the sauce. I don't even carry my driving licence nor ATM cards as, per your comments, lot of hassle if lost or stolen. There are 2 other threads in this forum discussing pick-pocketing in town so hardly makes sense to risk it!

The pic of the Extension stamp shows clearly when it is valid until. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, VinnieK said:

The rough approach is very telling on how the authorities view foreigners.

Same at border crossings/airports and local immi. offices.

No, it´s not any bad way of looking at foreigners. They are just checking that we follow the rules and have the right papers while in the country. Something that many here can´t accept, and just think they are entitled to stay as they wish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Same here, carrying your original passport when going out for a night on the town is a disaster waiting to happen! Losing your passport or having it stolen is a real pain, not only the expense, but having to get a police report, maybe a temporary emergency document etc.

Agree, I think most strip down their wallet if out on a drink or several, you can also whip out to your nearest Kodak and get your PP data page laminated and slide that in there......

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Same-same Chung King Mansions, early 80s. ????

Ahhhh the fire death trap, remember it well i stayed there 8/88, the lift used to be full when the alarm went off until the last person got out. Is it still there ?

3 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Worse man, i have some long term visas and residencies in there, getting a new passport would be a major pain involving traveling and reapplying to different countries... 

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, it´s not any bad way of looking at foreigners. They are just checking that we follow the rules and have the right papers while in the country. Something that many here can´t accept, and just think they are entitled to stay as they wish.

Complete non-sense, they have a database with everyone who entered and can easily see who's on overstay and specifically search for these.

Real motivation as always is related to $

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Ahhhh the fire death trap, remember it well i stayed there 8/88, the lift used to be full when the alarm went off until the last person got out. Is it still there ?

Is it still there ?

I believe so but I am informed that 'John The Book' finally checked out of the Traveler's Rest Hostel, RIP John.

Edited by Bert got kinky

53 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Complete non-sense, they have a database with everyone who entered and can easily see who's on overstay and specifically search for these.

Real motivation as always is related to $

No, it´s not complete nonsense at all. If you try to get a grip on what they are really doing. They are out for checking clubs, drugs and if they find foreigners they are checking them as well. What´s wrong with that. Probably just the need to complain again. I am happy, that they actually can do more than one thing at the same time. Only that, took them a long time.

52 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

What happens if you don't have ID?

Good question... perhaps ‘a stand-off’ until you are prepared to pay whatever ‘on the spot fine’ they BiB invent. 

Most people carry a phone - its not going to hurt to have a photo of your Passport and Visa Stamp. 

I carry my Thai Pink ID but that doesn’t have the ‘immigration details’ can’t prove I’m not on an overstay etc but that should cover ‘most options’ and shows a level of long term status. 

As others have mentioned, carrying my passport is an absolute no-no....  Losing it would simply be too costly (while I wait for the replacement +/- 12 weeks - loss of earnings due to being unable to travel overseas for work). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

What happens if you don't have ID?

In the worst case they will put you behind bars until you can get some one

to bring your passport.I believe if you have any other valid id on you

they can check in their data base easily.

Kind of would depend on the approach and attitude of the foreigner,if you

know what i mean.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes - they should make an appointment with the venues. I will never forget the bar owner in LK Metro. Closing time was midnight. Surprisingly at 23:30 on this evening he kicked out the customers because the police will come and check that the bars are closed at midnight. 

51 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Yes - they should make an appointment with the venues. I will never forget the bar owner in LK Metro. Closing time was midnight. Surprisingly at 23:30 on this evening he kicked out the customers because the police will come and check that the bars are closed at midnight. 

Its quite normal in every bar in the World for the bar owner to close at the legal time 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jvs said:

In the worst case they will put you behind bars until you can get some one

to bring your passport.I believe if you have any other valid id on you

they can check in their data base easily.

Kind of would depend on the approach and attitude of the foreigner,if you

know what i mean.

I think you are correct, but surely if you give them your name, nationality, DOB, obviously telling the truth, they can check the database, this done in other countries, USA, UK etc?

• Like 1