Chiang Mai: Danish man and Thai woman end up in the city moat after night out

webfact

565000010697002.jpg

Picture: Manager

Police and rescue services were called after a car was driven into the city moat in Chiang Mai late last night and was submerged.

It happened near Siam TV on Chang Lo Road in Muang district, reported Manager.

At the scene was a wet Danish man aged about 30 dressed only in boxer shorts. He was in a state of shock. He said he had been on a night out.

565000010697004.jpg

He said that there was someone trapped in the car who unlike him had been unable to exit the vehicle.

Divers found a 40 year old woman unconscious and brought her out and after CPR was given she was rushed to hospital.

The Dane kept saying there was someone else in the vehicle and a search was further done over the next two hours as the Honda Brio with Phrae plates was brought out.

565000010697001.jpg

But no one else was found so it was assumed that the foreign man was mistaken due to shock.

Police took pictures and are interviewing witnesses to try and determine who was driving and what happened. 

Chiang Mai News in English reported that a 30-40 year old Thai woman had died after being trapped in the car. 

They said the accident occurred at 12.50 am yesterday. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-11-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Thanks 1

The report below says the woman was rescued and revived back to life at the scene. Other sources say she couldn't be revived and was pronounced dead at the hospital. Were there 1 or 2 women in the car? Are they dead or alive?

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citynews/general/danish-and-thai-couple-rescued-from-moat-accident/

rescue.jpeg

Edited by nitayagirl
  • Thumbs Up 1

It always amazes me how frequently cars end up in the Moat in Chiang Mai... 

Obviously a key detail is who was driving, for the Danes sake I hope it wasn’t him.... but if it was, well...

Reports are conflicting, typical poor reporting without an effective follow up... 

Were there 2 people or 3 people in the car ?

Or was it just the Dane and the lady and sadly she has passed away (according to CM news) ?

Surely the BiB can identify the owner of the vehicle which may offer greater insight as to who the likely driver was. 

18 hours ago, nitayagirl said:

The report below says the woman was rescued and revived back to life at the scene. Other sources say she couldn't be revived and was pronounced dead at the hospital. Were there 1 or 2 women in the car? Are they dead or alive?

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citynews/general/danish-and-thai-couple-rescued-from-moat-accident/

rescue.jpeg

A Schroedinger's cat question.

9 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:
10 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

The moat should be filled in with concrete. 

Or maybe barriers could be erected to stop cars going in the moat ?

A tad overreaction?  Thousands of vehicles drive pass that moat every day without incident.  Just because some idiot drunk ends up in that moat once every blue moon doesn't make it the moat's fault.  I'd venture to say many drunk drivers drive pass that moat regularly without ending up in said moat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

A tad overreaction?  Thousands of vehicles drive pass that moat every day without incident.  Just because some idiot drunk ends up in that moat once every blue moon doesn't make it the moat's fault.  I'd venture to say many drunk drivers drive pass that moat regularly without ending up in said moat.

It's usually ladies accelerating when they intend to brake. 

Although I did see a Chinese couple rent a m/c and drive straight across the road, hit the kerb and flip themselves into the moat. 

It's not always drunks causing accidents! 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's usually ladies accelerating when they intend to brake. 

Although I did see a Chinese couple rent a m/c and drive straight across the road, hit the kerb and flip themselves into the moat. 

It's not always drunks causing accidents! 

I've just spat my brew all over my wife laughing at that!!!!????????????????

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I did mean that it would be better to put barriers up around the moat, rather then fill the moat with concrete, which had been suggested 

• 1 month later...