AirBnb host tells me they never make TM30

On 11/6/2022 at 2:09 AM, Lemsta69 said:

here's the translated wording courtesy of Siam Legal:

https://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/thai-immigration-act-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-sections-34-39/

"Section 38

The housemaster, the owner or the possessor of the residence, or the hotel manager where the alien, receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours, dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area, the local police official for that area must be notified.

In case the house, dwelling place, or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of paragraph 1 is located within the Bangkok area, such notification must be reported to the competent official at the Immigration Division."

Couldn't you just tell Immigration officer "there are no  competent officials here"  so let's just skip this silly TM30 thing?? 

Edited by alex8912
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Best to not worry yourself with things that are not your issue. It is on the landlord. Means nothing to us. 

Please indicate your definition of landlord in the context of the requirement of the notification of the arrival of a foreigner at a residence (TM.30)

I have seen two English translations of the Immigration Act and neither uses the term landlord.

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

Please indicate your definition of landlord in the context of the requirement of the notification of the arrival of a foreigner at a residence (TM.30)

I have seen two English translations of the Immigration Act and neither uses the term landlord.

It is the responsibility of the "owner or manager" of a property to inform immigration. This requirement is not on us, on any level. Means nothing to most of us. 

Edited by spidermike007

44 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This requirement is not on us, on any level. Means nothing to most of us. 

TM30 is not required unless person is planning to obtain extension (eg 30 day extension to visa exempt entry) or have dealings with immigration.

Immigration at the very least can send you away and come back when TM30 has been filled and receipt provided. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Best to not worry yourself with things that are not your issue. It is on the landlord. Means nothing to us. 

Isn't it the visa extension applicant that gets the fine for non-filing or has their extension rejected if no TM30? Maybe some offices are more relaxed but can see the concern of the OP.

I only ever do my TM30 (5 minutes online as registered) before annual renewal of extension. For those who aren't the housemaster they cannot file for themselves.

• Thanks 1

Why bother about AirBnB? Many hotels has about the same nightly rate, and staff that take care of you.

Some years ago I helped a couple renting a AirBnB in the condo I lived in because they could not get in contact with the condo owner they have rented it from since their phones did not work. The guard refused to help since condo administrators had forbid him to help since Short time tenants caused a lot of problem and was usually very loud and had parties by the pool. 

I asked how much they payed and they payed 1,500 baht/night for a studio. By that time my dad was staying in Vic 3 in Ari and payed 980 baht/night. So I asked why pay so much for a AirBnB rather than a cheap hotel. It had never crossed their mind to check for hotels because they assumed that AirBnB would be much cheaper.

Ok, this was 5 years ago, and maybe things has changed.

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Isn't it the visa extension applicant that gets the fine for non-filing or has their extension rejected if no TM30? Maybe some offices are more relaxed but can see the concern of the OP.

I only ever do my TM30 (5 minutes online as registered) before annual renewal of extension. For those who aren't the housemaster they cannot file for themselves.

I haven't experienced it myself but that's what I've read on here over the past few years. It's much easier to extort the fine from the hapless foreigner than it is to go after an absent landlord/property owner/housemaster or whatever your preferred term is. 

ps. I use the term 'extort' partly in jest but also because I want to fit in here ????

• Like 2

On 11/5/2022 at 3:12 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Bangkok immigration doesn't need it, never did one myself in the last 7 years

Actually not to late. When I filed for my extension early this year, I was able to get printout from hotel for the TM30 "actually hotel short term is something other than tm30, as thats for 30+ days" they were more than happy to print one off for me, as I was checking out of hotel. i.e. just checkin to a hotel for 1 night, ask for the form, and you're good; ok you'll waste a few bath,,, maybe take advantage of the pool or something. Most likely the type of situation you are in, is why Thailand had/has issues with airbnb as many of the property owers don't follow the law, and not paying their taxes.

15 hours ago, Trvlr55 said:

Actually not to late. When I filed for my extension early this year, I was able to get printout from hotel for the TM30 "actually hotel short term is something other than tm30, as thats for 30+ days" they were more than happy to print one off for me, as I was checking out of hotel. i.e. just checkin to a hotel for 1 night, ask for the form, and you're good; ok you'll waste a few bath,,, maybe take advantage of the pool or something. Most likely the type of situation you are in, is why Thailand had/has issues with airbnb as many of the property owers don't follow the law, and not paying their taxes.

Why should i check into a hotel, i have houses here. Airbnb isn't even legal in Thailand.

12 hours ago, daejung said:

It seems it is ok when you rent for more than 30 days, isn't it ?

I did some Googling because I was curious but I came away more confused than when I started! ????

You could do the same but if I was in your position I wouldn't be in the slightest bit worried about the legality. The police don't have the time or the personnel to conduct door-to-door searches of properties in Bangkok to check if there's any dodgy Airbnb stuff going on.  You'd have to be reported by one of the other tenants in the condo. It's a condo, right?

You're staying for 6 months and you sound like a nice guy so I doubt you're going to be throwing wild parties and annoying the neighbours. If anyone in the condo asks what you're doing there then just tell them you're on a 6 month rental contract. 

Re the TM30, your host seems to have indicated that he will "provide information" about TM30 so you can do it yourself. As we've discussed earlier, yes you can submit TM30 as the tenant. Maybe you can ask him for more information about how you can do the TM30 before you arrive so that you are prepared. If he doesn't give you a login and password then I guess you'll be making a trip to Chaeng Wattana as soon as you arrive in BKK. 

Edited by Lemsta69