Land border options? Need to border run to Cambodia

7 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

We all know VIPs don't travel around in vans so can you tell us what the van is really like?

They only have room for 10 people,
Plus the seats are way bigger and more comfortable than the one where they jamb in 12 or 14 people

11 hours ago, bernard75 said:

4000B for a visarun?!?

Why would anybody want to do that?

Its possible to get to Koh Kong for 700B.

Yes, there are ways to entering Cambodia without passing immigration. However, entering Cambodia without a visa is highly illegal. Also, the transport costs to get to Koh Kong (whether legally through the immigration checkpoint or otherwise) depends on your starting point. From Bangkok, even if very well informed on cheap transport options, it will be at least 1,000 baht return. It should also be obvious that you will not get a fresh visa exempt entry if you do not properly pass through Thai immigration.

Edited by BritTim

11 hours ago, bernard75 said:

I guess you mean it's possible to go to the border for 700 Baht. That's certainly true, a bus from Bangkok to Trat is about 300 Baht and a minivan from Trat's bus terminal to the border in Had Lek is 140 Baht.

Most people need a visa for Cambodia though, plus pay a "fee" to be allowed a same day return.

All in, you can probably DIY for something like 2500 Baht nowadays. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bernard75 said:

4000B for a visarun?!?

Why would anybody want to do that?

yep by local bus to trat and than u need local bus or tuk tuk to border ( total all in under 500 baht) and than $30 for the visa, 300 baht to be able to only stay 1 hour, 500 baht back and will take an extra few hours
so apx 2,300 baht + an extra 3-4 hours 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bernard75 said:

The 6am bus from Ekamai costs 499B return.

After getting off at Hat Lek you can walk over the border for 30$ and instantly return.

When was the last time you "walked over the border for $30 and instantly return" and please give details of your interactions with Cambodian immigration officers.

Edited by edwardandtubs

1 hour ago, bernard75 said:

The 6am bus from Ekamai costs 499B return.

After getting off at Hat Lek you can walk over the border for 30$ and instantly return.

I think the bus terminates in Trat then transport to the boarder is needed, you can get an e-visa (was 35USD) saving a whole page of your passport make sure you go to the official govt site, walk across border, pay an extra 300b for not staying overnight.

53 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

When was the last time you "walked over the border for $30 and instantly return" and please give details of your interactions with Cambodian immigration officers.

Their official site for e-visa says 35$ but i think now its more expensive. You can return after paying Cambodian Immigration 300b for not staying overnight, I never had a problem with I.O. there. 

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Their official site for e-visa says 35$ but i think now its more expensive. You can return after paying Cambodian Immigration 300b for not staying overnight, I never had a problem with I.O. there. 

The evisa costs $36 which is probably the best option because at the border they demand $35. Either way, you'll need to pay 300 baht to return on the same day.

14 hours ago, zzzzz said:

yep by local bus to trat and than u need local bus or tuk tuk to border ( total all in under 500 baht) and than $30 for the visa, 300 baht to be able to only stay 1 hour, 500 baht back and will take an extra few hours
so apx 2,300 baht + an extra 3-4 hours 

That is a fair assessment.

7 hours ago, bernard75 said:

Last week. I slipped them 5$.

I don't believe that. The first stage in the process is when you buy the visa. The second stage is when you exit and the final stage is when you come back. You're dealing with different people at each of these stages. At what stage did you "slip them" $5 and what did the other immigration officers say at the other stages?

On 11/9/2022 at 12:15 PM, edwardandtubs said:

The evisa costs $36 which is probably the best option because at the border they demand $35. Either way, you'll need to pay 300 baht to return on the same day.

Which border town is this? Pailin?

16 hours ago, Jannow said:

Which border town is this? Pailin?

The e-visa for Cambodia can only be used at a few land crossings (from Thailand, Poipet/Aran and Koh Kong/Hat Lek). If using other land crossings, you will need a visa on arrival or a visa from the Cambodian consulate.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Jannow said:

what demands?

Kind of legitimately, Cambodian officials will usually not allow same day return to Thailand without payment of a bribe. This is because there is a Cambodian law that, in most cases, mandates that you stay at least one night in Cambodia. Additionally, officials will often try to charge more than the official US$30 for the Cambodian visa on arrival. In my experience, you can usually successfully resist this extra charge for the VOA. Often you will encounter fixers who combine the extra charge for VOA, bribe for same day return, and a service fee for themselves as a single package deal.

44 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Those mentioned in my previous post.

i've  been in and out of every Thai/Cambodian land border multiple times with and sometimes without a thai registered car time since 2004
NEVER been asked to pay anything more than the official rate
OF course i have never done an in an out  ????
BUT, have heard the usual fee at Cambodian immigration is 300 baht

Edited by zzzzz

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

i've  been in and out of every Thai/Cambodian land border multiple times with and sometimes without a thai registered car time since 2004
NEVER been asked to pay anything more than the official rate
OF course i have never done an in an out  ????
BUT, have heard the usual fee at Cambodian immigration is 300 baht

Pre-covid there was never any fee for coming back the next day but they would add $5 to the visa on arrival fee.

No reports that 300 baht will get you an in-out entry nowadays. The only reports are people paying agents much more.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Kind of legitimately, Cambodian officials will usually not allow same day return to Thailand without payment of a bribe. This is because there is a Cambodian law that, in most cases, mandates that you stay at least one night in Cambodia. Additionally, officials will often try to charge more than the official US$30 for the Cambodian visa on arrival. In my experience, you can usually successfully resist this extra charge for the VOA. Often you will encounter fixers who combine the extra charge for VOA, bribe for same day return, and a service fee for themselves as a single package deal.

The all-in fee for such fixers used to be 1700 baht but now the reports are 2700 which apparently people are willing to pay so don't expect it to go down.