A Question Regarding DNS Settings.

Formaleins

When choosing a DNS server manually as opposed to allowing the ISP to select the DNS server, where is the priority? My question is about how the DNS server is prioritized, as an example, on my Asus router I can specify the DNS server address like Google 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 in the router settings, however, if I go into my individual PC and go to the network settings, I can assign a DNS address using the local settings on my particular PC.

So, if I were to set my DNS on the router to Google on 8.8.8.8 and on my local machine to another server like 1.1.1.1 within Windows 11, which actual DNS server would be in use? 

If I leave my router blank and do not specify a DNS address, can each individual computer connected to the router specify and use its own DNS independently?

Burning question I should have asked 10 years ago. - Thanks to anyone that knows the answer.

In a router you set settings for the DHCP server. A DHCP server assigns IP addresses and additional settings like DNS, WINS, default gateway and others.

If then you connect a PC the PC will get an IP address from that DHCP server including the DNS settings etc.  from that DHCP server.

You can also manually set the IP address and DNS addresses on each device (Windows, Linux, smart phone, IoT, whatever).

If you only connect from devices to internet devices, then you need only a public DNS server like the server from your ISP or Google.

If you have a network with several devices (PCs, printers, etc.) and they should recognize each other then you need a local DNS server.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I use an app called DNS jumper , it has 35 DNS settings to choose

from ,you can test for the quickest , and also flush the DNS ,its free

regards worgeordie

Why do you do that?

I never had such an app and never had DNS problems since >30 years with networked computers. 

• Like 2

I've got a feeling that AIS (and maybe others) hijack DNS queries (although I've never properly tested this).

Presumably encrypted DNS (in particular DNS over https) would get round this although my knowledge on that is a bit sketchy.

If anyone knows any better feel free to chime in!

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why do you do that?

I never had such an app and never had DNS problems since >30 years with networked computers. 

"You can also manually set the IP address and DNS addresses on each device (Windows, Linux, smart phone, IoT, whatever). "  you said , .... because it's easier to use for me , plus it lists DNS settings I never knew about,

currently using Quad 9 security..

regards worgeordie