Motorcycle tires - tyres

The Snark

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have to admit I had to learn that just the correct tire pressure makes a big difference.

Like: somehow I can't maneuver my bike like before anymore.

Adjust tire pressure.

Wow, what a difference, that's great...

It should be obvious, but sometimes we have to remind ourselves. 

Yep, effect of tyre pressure is huge, too high and you almost feel on ice which is kinda what op was describing, maybe he just had correct tyre pressure this time.

The tyres I've had in Thailand have been fine, noticed no difference, first ones circ 700 each, second ones 500 each

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Quality tires (Pirreli or Michelin or even OEM) and correct tire pressures make all the difference to comfort, handling and safety. A digital pressure guage off Lazada is not expensive. 

In what way is the handling different? in most cases it's in peoples minds only

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

In what way is the handling different? in most cases it's in peoples minds only

Under or over inflated tyres make it different. Under inflated and a bike wallows around. Over inflated can make the ride harsh and track differently. Just my experience. Within +-5 PSI should be OK. Can depend on the bike whether sports or scooter.    

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Under or over inflated tyres make it different. Under inflated and a bike wallows around. Over inflated can make the ride harsh and track differently. Just my experience. Within +-5 PSI should be OK. Can depend on the bike whether sports or scooter.    

Yes of course over or under inflated tyres are very noticeable but you were referring to Pirelli, Michelin etc, in what ways is handling different?

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thanks 1

Pressure important the rest is in the head and BS. 

I wouldn't pay out 12,000 baht for tyres on my bike every 2 years that is OCD at its best.

Tyres have a life cycle yes but the most important thing is to inspect regulary, protect from sun as much as possible and keep an eye on the pressure job done. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

My local village bike shop, that fits all tubed tyres for me, doesn't have a pressure gauge. 

Generally when I check the pressure after they have fitted the tyres they will be 60+ psi.

Yes Thais do like high pressure ???? .

Scoot and Wave tyres i do at home with foot pump.

My big bike and truck i do at the PTT garage and check with gauge and their pump is very accurate.

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Quality tires (Pirreli or Michelin or even OEM) and correct tire pressures make all the difference to comfort, handling and safety. A digital pressure guage off Lazada is not expensive. 

Using the Pireli, Scorpion Touring Tech Two... what a difference.   The Metzler was good as well..  Of course expensive at 5-6K..

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes Thais do like high pressure ???? .

Scoot and Wave tyres i do at home with foot pump.

My big bike and truck i do at the PTT garage and check with gauge and their pump is very accurate.

Yes , I have a hand pump at home Tyres on the Forza checked once a week ,if the bike is at GWH for a service I tell them to leave the tyres alone. They tend to add air whether needed or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've chatted with several pro racers that can tell the make and tread pattern of a tire by taking a half lap on a track. Also can tell tire pressure within a couple of pounds by how they handle doing Ss for 50 feet.

As for make of tire, AA fuel altered drag racer managed to beat the 5 second barrier by simply changing the brand of tire.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Snark said:

I've chatted with several pro racers that can tell the make and tread pattern of a tire by taking a half lap on a track. Also can tell tire pressure within a couple of pounds by how they handle doing Ss for 50 feet.

As for make of tire, AA fuel altered drag racer managed to beat the 5 second barrier by simply changing the brand of tire.

but we're talking about small bikes around town not doing laps on a track although some farang do ride recklessly 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

on a small bikes like a Wave, good tyres really shows their worth in the wet, top end Pirellis for the wave is only around 2000 baht a pair, it might wear down quicker on softer compound compared to the typical durability focused tyres typical of the cheap bikes, 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, The Snark said:

Buying race tires is waste of money for normal road idiots. Race tires need temperature and even on hot days in Thailand, there is no use for them. 

But a tire is not just a tire even the oldest most experienced riders state so. I like to push the limits a bit with or without load, and I feel difference from cheap tires and more respectable tire makers. Even Metzeler is recond as a cheap tire, it is a product Pirrelli bought and standing behind, and are excellent tires for any condition. Buy what you need for your purpose, and my purpose is sport touring all season, and therefor need a middle classed prized tire. I do not compromise km against price, and therefor very rear I get more than 8k out of my tires. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, seedy said:

Premium tires are a benefit on a bicycle.

Same for motorcycles - no matter the size.

When I bought the PCX in 2013 I rode on the stock rubber for less than a month before changing. Major difference.

Same for the dunlop that came with Honda cb500x 2017, <deleted>ty tires. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, seedy said:

Premium tires are a benefit on a bicycle.

Same for motorcycles - no matter the size.

When I bought the PCX in 2013 I rode on the stock rubber for less than a month before changing. Major difference.

Probably in your head only, same with bicycles, a friend recently swapped from 1500 baht "trendy" tyre to 500 baht continental, no performance difference, just less trendy

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

Same as one thinks a bike runs better after it's been given a good wash.

Really ????

Some think tires is not important, and any tire cheap or expensive is same same, well I'm sure you guys all wear Lolex to, and believe it is the same as a real one! Good luck if you like to push it wet or dry conditions. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, digbeth said:

on a small bikes like a Wave, good tyres really shows their worth in the wet, top end Pirellis for the wave is only around 2000 baht a pair, it might wear down quicker on softer compound compared to the typical durability focused tyres typical of the cheap bikes, 

You pay 2000baht a tyre for a Honda wave. :cheesy:

• Like 1